Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Parents parking in my space on school run.

(208 Posts)
MNBlackpoolandFylde Wed 24-Apr-13 13:47:22

A car park space comes with my house, its marked with my house number there are signs up saying private land do not park. They can't put bollards up as business next door has two spaces for customers.

Every morning and night parents park there for up to twenty minutes plus waiting for children.

This means if i come back in the car i have to park three streets away then move it back onto my space which i pay for when they are gone. this is annoying enough but last week my disabled DM had to park 10 minutes walk away as someone was in the space.

School have sent a letter home, council wont do anything as its private land, landlord has put signs up.

I wouldn't mind but they drive dangerously, pull into car park at speed, park on double yellow lines.

What can i do if anything?

CocacolaMum Wed 24-Apr-13 13:48:15

Move?

Kendodd Wed 24-Apr-13 13:49:54

Put a few signs up and get yourself a wheel clamp.

scarletforya Wed 24-Apr-13 13:49:59

Can you get one of those pop up posts?

Who can't put bollards up? I don't understand that bit.

somewhereaclockisticking Wed 24-Apr-13 13:50:19

If they're parked on double yellow lines then they can be fined and I'm surprised that the council won't do anything. They shouldn't be taking your space and I'm amazed that the council don't send someone round to give them a ticket because it's more money for the council. All you can do is wait until that person comes back to their car and explain to them that it is your space and they have inconvenienced you - do it enough times and hopefully the word will spread.

Tailtwister Wed 24-Apr-13 13:50:32

How annoying and very rude! Do you ask them to move when you come back and there's someone there? Have you thought about getting some traffic cones and putting them in the space? It might be that they think (of think they can get away with it because) your space also belongs to the business. Do they park in those spaces too?

The only other thing would be to look into those lockable bollard things which collapse down flat. Don't know how expensive those are though.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Wed 24-Apr-13 13:50:42

Helpful Coca hmm

Get advice from PCSO?

Take photos of all cars and bring them into the school / inform the police?

Block them in?

Leave very, very sticky notes on their windows that are difficult to remove?

My sympathies...

SofiaAmes Wed 24-Apr-13 13:50:45

If it's private land, can't you have them towed. Or put stickers (that are very difficult to remove) on their windshield that inform them that they have parked in a private spot. Or less dramatic...how about an orange cone to block the space.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Wed 24-Apr-13 13:51:19

BTW - wheel clamps are now illegal on private land.

scarletforya Wed 24-Apr-13 13:51:35

These are the things I mean.

everlong Wed 24-Apr-13 13:52:09

How bloody annoying.

Can you not put bollards actually in the space, so they would have to get out and move them before parking?

I would go back into school with the number plate and cause Mary hell.

lottieandmia Wed 24-Apr-13 13:52:11

YANBU, of course

CarnivorousPanda Wed 24-Apr-13 13:52:19

For a start go into school again with vehicle numbers so the people involved can be identified. Wait for them to come back and confront them, with someone with you for support.

You could also try contacting your local PCSO who might come to talk to them?

alienbanana Wed 24-Apr-13 13:52:29

Yes, I'd try a cone to block the space - if they move it go for the really sticky notes.

abbyfromoz Wed 24-Apr-13 13:52:31

Leave notes on the windshield. Say this is a private park (clearly marked) which i pay for. Please don't park here again!

fluffyraggies Wed 24-Apr-13 13:53:13

Traffic cone in the middle of your space?
Pop up bollard?
Rope slung between two posts that stand up on their own?

zipzap Wed 24-Apr-13 13:54:34

Take the number plates down and then go into school and complain very loudly to the head teacher and demand that they do something.

Put a large note on the front of the car, print it out in big letters saying this car has been illegally parked in my private car parking space. I have recorded your number plate, reported it to the school and if I find it parked here again I will report to the police (they don't necessarily know that the police won't do anything)

Ask the police if they can get a local community officer to patrol around school one afternoon and pay attention to your spot.

Block the car in with something

Talk to the business next door with customer spaces - chances are they get hassle too, see if you could do something with them to help all of you

Good luck - it's horrible when this happens!

HormonalHousewife Wed 24-Apr-13 13:54:35

Pop up posts are quite expensive though...

This would seriously annoy me. Is there any chance you can not use the car and keep it in the parking space ?

You need to keep going back to the school. Become a pain and go / phone each time it happens. Provide photos times regestration numbers. Insist the school names and shames the car owner in their letters home. Usually schools are really supportive as they like to keep their neighbours happy.

montage Wed 24-Apr-13 13:55:29

Second the traffic cone. Do you know any students who might have a spare one they have purloined on a night out?

TheOriginalSteamingNit Wed 24-Apr-13 13:56:22

How can they be parking on double yellows and on your space? The double yellow issue sounds separate, to me.

Annoying as losing your space is, it's the reality for many people who live in popular areas. And presumably the school was already there when you moved in?

MNBlackpoolandFylde Wed 24-Apr-13 13:56:36

I put the wheelie bins there and they moved them.

I am reluctant to kick up a massive fuss as dd is at the same school.

There are two business spaces clearly marked plus 8 house ones all cleary marked in front of our Houses.

The council ticket those on double yellows once every few months.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Wed 24-Apr-13 13:58:01

I've lived with Residents Parking, which I assume is what you mean when you say you pay for your space? This meant in practice that you buy a permit which entitles you to the theoretical right to park if there is space, but also that cars can park without permits for up to ten minutes - is that what you have?

fluffyraggies Wed 24-Apr-13 13:58:46

Make a 'sandwich board' style sign which would stand free in the middle of the space.

You can write what you like on it - all the above about private space, no.plate recording and police grin

BlueberryHill Wed 24-Apr-13 14:00:26

Can you block them in with your own car, when they ask you to move, say yes, in a moment. Then take your time.

They are out of order, you need to make it more of a hassle to them to park there than it is to find somewhere else.

Keep going back to the school, it isn't the schools fault, what do they do at the moment, how about suggesting naming and shaming. Is it the same cars each time?

fluffyraggies Wed 24-Apr-13 14:00:33

They moved the wheely bins!? angryangry

Bastards.

I'd have to lie in wait and have a go then.

<angry for you>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now