to think that putting your child in pants doesn't make them potty trained?

(78 Posts)
wreckedone Wed 24-Apr-13 12:14:15

I met an acquaintance at playgroup this morning,our lads are the same age and she was at great pains to tell me that he was potty training. Which is great, I know some friends' children have potty trained at this age (they're 23mo). But she then went on to tell me that he was in pants as he's allergic to pull ups-he was just using the pants like a nappy and weeing in them-I know all children have accidents when they're just starting out, but 3 times in under 2 hours?!
She kept making a big thing of how grown up her lad is, particularly when he grabbed a toy off my lad and my lad cried ("big boys like X don't cry"). AIBU to think she's a bit of a knob?

Oh come on Fanjo what else is mumsnet for? wink

goldenlula Fri 26-Apr-13 13:08:09

All children are different, ds1 was fully out of nappies urging the day by 19 months, with very little effort from me. We had a potty around from 11 months, I would sit him on it from time to time, very occasionally I would time it right and he would wee or poo on it. He then started using it on his own, I would go to the kitchen and come back and find a wee in the potty (pfb, loads of no nappy time as no other children to worry about). Went with it and he trained quickly and easily. Ds2 trained quickly at 23 months then went backwards after about 2 months and was a nightmare on and off for 6 months. He is nearly 5 now, but still leaves it to the last moment to go to the toilet.
Dd is nearly 2 and we have been potty training this week as she was showing signs of being ready. She is physically ready, in the sense she knows when she needs to go, she holds it etc but she is not keen on the feeling of the wee leaving her iykwim. For this reason I have up her back kin nappies when we are ou and about as I do not want her weeing everywhere.
This mum should be taking him to the toilet regularly and definitely cleaning up after him. Perhaps suggest the reusable training pants.

FanjoForTheMammaries Fri 26-Apr-13 13:09:45

well I might be a bit po faced but its supposed to be to support other parents wink

Not rip into them on a public messageboard

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now