Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

or is Julie and Julia really really dull?

(38 Posts)
Plathism Tue 23-Apr-13 22:54:12

I was totally expecting to love it but Meryl Streep's voice is grating and I just don't care about her stupid cookbook.

MoaningYoniWhingesAgain Wed 24-Apr-13 10:07:28

I was really excited when I recorded it. But so dull and Meryls accents was unbearable, I had to delete it. Very disappointed.

squoosh Wed 24-Apr-13 10:12:22

I love Stanley Tucci! Mmmm mmmm

Peanate Wed 24-Apr-13 10:42:46

I read the book about 5 years ago and loved it - enough to look up the blog and read that too from start to finish.

I really wanted to love the movie too, but it was just missing something....

Peanate Wed 24-Apr-13 10:47:05

Oh my god, I've just clicked through to Blast's link and that reminded me that I've read 'Cleaved' too.

Fuck me, that was not what I was expecting for her sequel AT ALL.

I've obviously managed to bleach it from my brain until now!

MrsDeVere Wed 24-Apr-13 10:53:32

You have just reminded me that I have watched it.
So it must have been pretty forgettable.

TheRealFellatio Wed 24-Apr-13 10:55:13

Pantomime talling grin that is genius, can't stop laughing. grin

TheRealFellatio Wed 24-Apr-13 10:56:22

another incredibly dull film of the same ilk is that Eat Love Pray, shite, or whatever it was called. It was about four and half hours of complete tedium.

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 24-Apr-13 10:58:40

Yeah, but Felly, at least Eat Pray love had some pretty scenery.
And it would make a natty slogan to stick to your wall. wink

SlimFitWellies Wed 24-Apr-13 11:03:02

I could not get through the film, and I love cooking and reading food blogs also.

squoosh Wed 24-Apr-13 11:05:13

I dodged Eat Pray Love. Wasn't it about a rich white American woman who frolics around the world on a pseudo spiritual journey of self discovery wank?

Can't be doing with that. Also, Julia Roberts is in it.

TobyLerone Wed 24-Apr-13 11:08:12

I really loved it. And I loved Julia, although Julie was a bit of a knob.

MusicalEndorphins Thu 25-Apr-13 06:07:17

Hated Eat Love Pray...I was looking forward to it...Julia Roberts was so unlikable I turned it off before it was over.
I loved the film Tortilla Soup...I must like watching people cooking.

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Thu 25-Apr-13 06:30:03

But Meryl's accent was spot on - as usual when she's 'doing' someone, it's like actually watching that person!

I remember watching Julia Childs cookery programmes when I was little, and her impersonation is uncanny.

I really enjoyed the film, so YABU!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now