Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

or is Julie and Julia really really dull?

(38 Posts)
Plathism Tue 23-Apr-13 22:54:12

I was totally expecting to love it but Meryl Streep's voice is grating and I just don't care about her stupid cookbook.

EverybodysSootyEyed Tue 23-Apr-13 22:56:39

totally agree - and the other character is soooooo irritating and self obsessed

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 23-Apr-13 22:56:42

I HATED it.
Found it really grating also.
Plus I didn't like the way that Meryl 'acted tall' when playing Julia. I can't remember exactly what it was that annoyed me quite so much re the tall; it was possibly something to do with the worktops at the cookery school? The height of them, or the way she stood at them? It just made it clear that in fact she wasn't tall at all. It was pantomime talling.

Yonionekanobe Tue 23-Apr-13 22:56:43

YANBU!

Oh I loved it especially the Julia Child bit I wished the whole movie could be her story.

Blowin Tue 23-Apr-13 22:58:01

bloody awful film, esp Meryl's awful laugh!

Plathism Tue 23-Apr-13 22:59:41

grin at pantomime talling. That's more entertaining than the whole film.

Ahahah Julia hates her, I just got to a good bit.

Plathism Tue 23-Apr-13 23:00:26

Oh this is a true story, I feel bad now.

squoosh Tue 23-Apr-13 23:00:58

I liked the Meryl bit, couldn't have cared less about the other woman (although I love amy Adams).

Bon Appetit!

Plathism Tue 23-Apr-13 23:01:34

I love cooking and blogs and Amy Adams, this is why I'm shocked.

EverybodysSootyEyed Tue 23-Apr-13 23:02:13

i think meryl plays julia well because that's what she was like!

as for julie, if i was julia i would feel the same. and be irritated that she had built a career off tailgating her reputation!

Plathism Tue 23-Apr-13 23:04:04

I'm sure Meryl's doing it brilliantly, she's just bloody irritating and screechy and waaaaaaaaah all the time.

EverybodysSootyEyed Tue 23-Apr-13 23:05:05

yes - i think they could only make a film about julia with 50% of the film based on someone else because otherwise it would be unwatchable!

BlastAndDalmatians Tue 23-Apr-13 23:05:25

I found it deathly boring, shame because I like Meryl Streep. Stanley Tucci was lovely though.

And then I read about the real life story (second section)
here

I love it.

But then I would love to go eat and cook in Paris!

Plathism Tue 23-Apr-13 23:08:16

Is that her husband Blast? He is very lovely.

EverybodysSootyEyed Tue 23-Apr-13 23:08:21

the real julia was 6ft2 and her kitchen was built with units 2inches higher than standard

meryl streep is 5ft6!

there are lots of comments on her 'playing tall' on the internet!!

Has that website got a really annoying menu bar thing blocking the text for everyone else or just me?

I found Julie to be a self obsessed sort, so not surprised by that tbh.

EverybodysSootyEyed Tue 23-Apr-13 23:12:28

Blast - that website is great
the erin brockovitch story is pretty nasty too

onedev Tue 23-Apr-13 23:16:02

I loved it - thought it was a v comforting movie! grin

BlastAndDalmatians Wed 24-Apr-13 00:02:49

Someone introduced me to cracked about 2 years ago, I was pregnant and sat reading articles for several hours straight, laughing like a drain!
It may well have an evil ad bar actually wannabe , I use the app so it doesn't apply but I've opened their articles linked from elsewhere and seem to remember the bar being bloody annoying. Boo!

Stanley was Julia's husband. I can't remember the actor playing Julie's husband, he was hot though.

diddl Wed 24-Apr-13 07:59:06

Oh it was awful!

I didn't like either character.

I've read that it was an accurate portrayal of Julia Childs-but seemed like a piss take to me!

hackmum Wed 24-Apr-13 09:28:07

I really enjoyed it. Thought it was just a bit of good fun.

MusicalEndorphins Wed 24-Apr-13 09:29:03

I loved that film, it inspired me. I went out and bought a dutch oven and made beef bourguignon after watching it. blush

melbie Wed 24-Apr-13 09:32:48

Book was good. Film was incredibly dull and agree fairly annoying

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now