AIBU to be offended by my colleague's bluntness?

(51 Posts)
ElaYar Tue 23-Apr-13 22:10:25

A bit of a background - I'm Polish, have been living in Germany with my English DP for the last 12 years. We speak English at home. I'm fluent in German but I'm unfortunately unable to get rid of my accent. I have just started a new job where I met a woman with whom I had this conversation today:
She: "So where do you originally come from?"
Me: Poland, but I've been living here for the last 12 years..
She ( eyes wide open): Really? So long? And you still have such a strong accent? Does your family speak German?
Me: Nope, I speak English at home with my DP.
She: I could tell straight away.. Strange. I had a roommate once who was
Polish and after just three
years you couldn't tell she
was a foreigner.

What do you think? AIBU to be offended by her choice of words? I really make an effort to learn German, my grammar is good, I just have the bloody accent. My DP found it amusing, I am still confused... I mean she really did not have to rub it in with this remark about her genius roommate..

Branleuse Wed 24-Apr-13 07:10:53

my dp has lived in England since 1999 and has a really strong French accent even though he's fluent in English. he's never tried to lose it and why on earth should he. it's nice. it's his voice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now