To think teacher should ask for food diary from year 5

(153 Posts)
lisad123everybodydancenow Tue 23-Apr-13 17:44:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Don't mention their diet or healthy eating at all and when the obese kids start costing the state thousands for the treatment of early on set diabetes send the bill to the parents who didn't want their kids taught about healthy eating.

Really FFS eating disorders are not caused by something like this as a whole and for the small percentage that are would it be right to deny the test of the school population the chance to learn about having a healthy balanced diet ?

echt Tue 23-Apr-13 19:06:52

Vetting the curriculum?

Good luck with that.

Are you a nutritionist willow? Because I am sure someone with qualifications will e checking that our kids are not being taught that 4 Burger King meals and fish and chips are an adequate diet !

Do you learn the languages and the maths and science syllabus that us taught too just toile sure those dozy feckin teachers know what they are talking about?

FFS what a stupid thing to say!

lisad123everybodydancenow Tue 23-Apr-13 19:08:51

exoticfruits Tue 23-Apr-13 19:10:07

It is in the curriculum. They have been teaching it for years-all mine kept a food diary for a week. I have also done it lots of times as a supply teacher.

complexnumber Tue 23-Apr-13 19:10:33

"Teach a healthy diet, get the students to draft their own ideas of what they think a healthy diet consists of, discuss it in class."

Sounds good.

"Students will automatically compare it to their own diets without having to disclose any information to anyone."

No! primary (and secondary) pupils do not 'automatically' compare their own situation with one being discussed. They need to be actively encouraged to reflect upon the differences between their own behaviour and some other model 'plucked' from the sky

Reflection is extremely important if the stuff taught in the classroom is to actually register with a child as applicable outside the classroom.

exoticfruits Tue 23-Apr-13 19:10:53

As a parent you don't get to say what is in the curriculum-neither do the teachers.

AmberLeaf Tue 23-Apr-13 19:12:38

I have 3 children ranging from yrs 5--yr 11, none of them have ever been asked to keep a food diary.

hey have learnt about food groups and balanced diets though, without the need for a food diary, so it can be done.

lisad123everybodydancenow Tue 23-Apr-13 19:13:25

ravenAK Tue 23-Apr-13 19:14:41

I think you might find that problematic, Willowisp...no right to withdraw from primary Science.

I would just follow excellent suggestion upthread to list a parent's food for the week.

Although I agree that if OP's dc finds this task difficult because of SN, teacher needs to be aware - worth a quick email to discuss dc's worry/potential distress.

DamnBamboo Tue 23-Apr-13 19:15:29

No, really the focus (as far as obesity is concerned) has got sod all to do with exercise. Yes our exercise levels need to improve it's true, but it isn't why we are all getting so fat.

It's about the shitty grub we as a nation are eating, make no mistake about it.

Maybe the teacher is planning to use this as a way in to discussing the death from anorexia of the senior pupil.

I would be unhappy about a curriculum or teacher that labelled particular foods as 'bad' - but would be happy to see the school teach children about a balanced diet, what it should contain, and how a bit of fast food, or chocolate or some sweets, in moderation is fine - and that over-indulging in anything - even dieting - is not healthy.

UnscentedStillRomantic Tue 23-Apr-13 19:17:22

Oh blimey food diarieshmm, I remember dc getting those. I think we forgot and cobbled something together made it up.

Ditto the 'write down and record everything you throw away diary'.

Agree with Aldiwhore's pov. Just teach the thing. But there is a mundane default to 'diaries' to find things out (as there is a default to fancy dress for every infinitesimal topic)

exoticfruits Tue 23-Apr-13 19:22:03

Foods are not labelled 'bad' and everything has a place, including sweets.
It is the science curriculum-nothing more.

complexnumber Tue 23-Apr-13 19:24:30

"Agree with Aldiwhore's pov. Just teach the thing."

What does 'teach the thing' mean to you?

Write it on the board, write in your notes, reproduce it in a test?

I hope schools are a bit more about learning now.

UnscentedStillRomantic Tue 23-Apr-13 19:29:36

Spanishfly'I also hate that they occasionally ask for consent to weigh and measure them. I'd never consent to this. Ridiculous.'

Agree, agree!

I did not give consent this time for dd2 and ds to be weighed and eyebrows were raised. No way would I after the last time.

I went along with this in the spirit of co-operation for dd1 and was sent a completely ridiculous 'standard' letter informing me that she was underweight.

Unfortunately dd saw the letter and already sensitive about being tall and slim (with I might add a perfectly lovely appetite and diet that caused me no concern) proceeded to worry unnecessarily about her weight for ages. I wish I'd never let them within 200 miles of herhmm

sherazade Tue 23-Apr-13 19:35:32

I've taught healthy eating and diet to year 5's before and it was a tricky topic to teach- not to say that it didn't spark alot of interest amongst the kids. I wouldn't have considered doing food diary as that would be far too intrusive and might ignite slightly obsessive behaviour. But I do remember people being slightly over anxious about the fact that 10 year olds might start questioning the sugar/carb content of their meals and food purchases. I personally think it is a life skill to be in the know about dietary requirements and limits and that children benefit from this knowledge. It became apparent, during the course of the lessons, that many, if not most, of the pupils, expressed worries and concerns about becoming or being fat and we addressed how by balancing diet and maintaining active bodies this risk would be reduced; and stressed that fats, carbs and sugars were necessary for good health. We also balanced the lessons by looking at what happens when you consume less than the recommended amounts of fats and sugars; or if you over exercise. All in all whilst I think it's really crucial to teach healthy eating I dont think a food diary is a great way to teach it. YANBU.

WorraLiberty Tue 23-Apr-13 19:40:41

The number of obese people in the UK, has more than trebled in the last 25 years and is reaching 'epidemic' proportions.

Unless obesity is tackled, the government predicts that 60% of men, 50% of women and 25% of children in Britain will be obese by 2050.

So to those who immediately worry about eating disorders just because a child is asked to keep a diary as part of their education, do you not see obesity as an eating disorder? confused

sherazade Tue 23-Apr-13 19:53:53

WorraLiberty- you raised a fair point. When I was teaching healthy eating, other teachers or adults would make silly comments like 'you're going to give them an eating disorder!', I work in a private school where many children are overweight because they are overly pampered or forced to study all the time. However, a food diary would require you to log in every single bite which I think leans towards being a bit obsessive (have kept food diaries in my teen years and adult life and have also been very underweight, wouldn't call myself anorexic or anything but have struggled with body image and still keep under a certain weight). And maybe there are more reasonable ways to get children to account for what they eat. I got mine to bring in a food label for something they'd eaten, or pool ideas for healthy brekkies, or choose a meal they'd had that day and analyse it, etc

AmberLeaf Tue 23-Apr-13 19:57:24

That all sounds really sensible sherazade.

WorraLiberty Tue 23-Apr-13 19:57:41

I think by year 5 a lot of kids will be making it up anyway and just writing healthy stuff in it, even if they haven't eaten it grin

But that in itself is a good thing, because if they feel the need to lie and pretend for example that they're eating tons of fruit and veg, it proves to them that they actually should be eating more of it.

If their parents are concerned about 'how they're going to look' regarding the food their child eats, then that's probably a good thing too.

Schools promote awareness of all sorts of things, and this is just one of those things.

Jaskla Tue 23-Apr-13 20:01:45

I remember doing this in year 5 and that's 18 years ago now.

I think it is good for children to learn about healthy eating, especially if they aren't being taught by their parents (and judging by the huge number of obese kids this is probably the case).

Most of our class lied on the food diaries anyway - I think the point of it is just to teach what a healthy diet consists of. Nobody will be told their diet is unhealthy or that they will get fat.

Maybe it isn't the best timing in view of recent events but I don't see it as a bad thing.

Cravingdairy Tue 23-Apr-13 20:13:18

This task would have made me very anxious as a child, reinforcing the guilt and insecurities I already felt about food. Nothing like this ever made me eat better.

zzzzz Tue 23-Apr-13 20:14:34

I think as an answer to the obesity problem, possibly more exercise would be a better way to tackle it?

I have to admits being slightly freaked out as to the ever increasing remit of school in parenting children.

JassyRadlett Tue 23-Apr-13 20:17:30

I went to a school where by the time we were in senior school, about a quarter of the girls had disordered eating. Several we're hospitalised, many ended up under medical supervision. At the age of 10, I vividly remember discussing weight and waist circumference in a semi-competitive way with my peers.

So you'll forgive me if I don't think asking a group of children of this age to keep a personal food diary is trivial. Given a culture with an obsessive focus on appearance and, for girls in particular, food intake then encouraging children at this age to keep a personal food diary seems like a pretty good idea.

If only one group of girls who have heard mothers and sisters obsess about dieting and food intake decide to discuss their food diaries, and then some get competitive about intake and one, even one, who might be insecure or predisposed keeps monitoring her intake and starts cutting down so that she feels accepted and in control - well, that's a very slippery slope when it comes to a very addictive group of disorders.

But yes, by all means, it's a trivial issue that people are worrying about unnecessarily. No problem at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now