To think teacher should ask for food diary from year 5

(153 Posts)
lisad123everybodydancenow Tue 23-Apr-13 17:44:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DamnBamboo Tue 23-Apr-13 18:18:46

How dare teachers get children to think about what's in their diet and what it actually is, in terms of nutrients they're eating.

God forbid.

zipzap Tue 23-Apr-13 18:21:08

Maybe they have got things a bit screwed and have been shockedby the tragic death and so are doing this right now while everybody is hyperaware of the horrendous consequences of eating badly.

Not saying that I agree with this approach - just I can see that some people might think it is a good time to do this.

And unfortunately with all these things, so much depends on the actual teacher; some could do it really well and help it to be a fantastic learning experience that also acts as counselling and a way of dealing with things together. But with a bad teacher - could open up a whole heap of trouble...

aldiwhore Tue 23-Apr-13 18:21:17

Wafer. People aren't THAT thick surely?

The French eat cheese.

Can you really not comprehend that until you've thought about all the cheese you've eaten and how it differs? Really?

The French eat cheese, these types, how do you think they differ to English cheese?

No need for homework, no need for a long process of recording information. Discussion happens. "Do they eat Dairylea?" No, they eat Brie, and look I've brought some for you to try... how does that differ?

One lesson, no homework. Or enforcing teens to look at the misery of their own lives, they are well aware of it already.

aldiwhore Tue 23-Apr-13 18:23:29

Teach a healthy diet, get the students to draft their own ideas of what they think a healthy diet consists of, discuss it in class.

Students will automatically compare it to their own diets without having to disclose any information to anyone.

zzzzz Tue 23-Apr-13 18:24:00

I agree this I unhelpful at best.

My dd did the whole healthy eating and food diary thing in year two, 3 years later IT IS STILL AN ISSUE.

She was slim before and became very very skinny. She worries about fat content, mostly. I cook 90% of our meals from scratch and she had a good diet. We buy sweets about once a month if that and she worries about the three or four she eats! I have no idea what was said I those classes, bu if I had known the impact I would have withdrawn her.

ihearsounds Tue 23-Apr-13 18:28:31

Schools really cannot win.
On one side, people whinge because schools are not doing enough to help tackle obesity. That diets are shite because schools do sfa to help educate about healthy diets.
On the other side, the school try and help educate, and they get moaned at.

Have you asked the teacher why they want the diary? Have you asked them why they cannot do a fictitious diary, or if they have already done one, and would like the children to compare various diaries.

Zzzzz- that's awful! I came on to say that there's no harm, but thinking it through (as teachers should) the potential for causing more food related issues is huge. I have a niece who is 14 and anorexic, I have always attributed this to friends influence, and pressure/bad family life, I hate to think the school could have made her feel worse in all this sad
We are as a society obsessed with food. It can't bode well.

Smartiepants79 Tue 23-Apr-13 18:30:34

Hah! damnbamboo I was thinking exactly the same.
Sometimes seems so much stress and angst.
I think the point of the food diary is to get each child to think about their own eating habits, what's good what they need to think about changing.
If you've ever watched programmes like secret eaters you will know how easy it is to be blissfully unaware of what you consume.

echt Tue 23-Apr-13 18:31:07

Poor teacher, having to teach the things she's been told she must teach. There's always an aspect of making work relevant which can impinge on home circumstances, and not everything can be anticipated. Why doesn't the OP have a quiet word with teacher?

By the way, if the child is stressing about water, possibly she's been told that utter bollocks about drinking a gazillion litres a day, in which case, definitely have words.

MiaowTheCat Tue 23-Apr-13 18:31:37

If it's becoming an issue for her - turn it round - get her to keep a food diary of YOU for the day instead... all the teacher is likely wanting is for them to have it written down to use in a class task going through what they've eaten that is protein/carbs/fat etc - trying to make it relevant to them - but if it's causing an issue either send a note in explaining why and likely she'll get paired up with another child to look at that child's food diary (cos there's no way 100% of the class will ever have done the task), or there'll be a generic made up one to look at, or she could look at one she's done for you - that way she's still done the homework but it's not been her getting herself hung up about the food she eats.

For what it's worth I thought the whole healthy eating thing had gone a bit to far when I got landed with a morning's supply cover to do getting the kids to write poems about the amazing taste of apples (try getting them enthused enough to spin THAT out for an entire morning - without any apples to even use as a prop to promote some enthusiasm).

MrsLouisTheroux Tue 23-Apr-13 18:33:31

I doubt the teacher is setting this talk to monitor your DC's eating habits. (I'm sure he/she has better things to do).
Has your DC been looking at food groups, healthy eating as part of a topic? If so, I have no doubt that the DC are being asked to look at their food intake over the week so that they can see for themselves if they are eating a balanced diet containing different food groups.
I really don't see the problem. Your DC is Autistic, many autistic DC take things literally. Further explanation, reassurance takes extra effort but the school avoiding the topic? I don't think so.

MrsLouisTheroux Tue 23-Apr-13 18:34:08

Excellent idea Miaow

Smartiepants79 Tue 23-Apr-13 18:36:03

In a class of 30 kids lessons cannot be individually tailored to deal with every possible issue/phobia/disorder that MAY exist/come into being due to the subject covered in the lesson.
The lessons are based on a curriculum which is flawed but designed to give the majority of children a basic but broad education.
If you want such individual attention and learning then home education is really the only answer.

Kiriwawa Tue 23-Apr-13 18:39:02

My DS has SN. He takes the healthy eating messages from school very seriously. He will no longer eat chocolate or ice cream or drink juice because those are 'unhealthy'.

He is on the 90th centile for height and on the 5th for weight. A healthy eating diary would be an absolute bloody disaster for him.

And FWIW I don't think it's the school's responsibility to teach healthy eating - it's a very blunt instrument.

DamnBamboo Tue 23-Apr-13 18:42:55

The school should not be calling those things unhealthy. Everything should be about a balanced diet.

AmberLeaf Tue 23-Apr-13 18:45:55

OP YANBU and I totally see where you are coming from.

In a class of 30 kids lessons cannot be individually tailored to deal with every possible issue/phobia/disorder that MAY exist/come into being due to the subject covered in the lesson

Why the emphasis on MAY? and actually lessons can be individually tailored and they often are for various reasons. sure, it takes more effort and work, but that if a child with SNs is in a mainstream school, then tailoring things to their needs and ability is all part of inclusion.

MrsLouisTheroux Tue 23-Apr-13 18:46:02

What smartie said ^

Smartiepants79 Tue 23-Apr-13 18:54:29

I emphasised the word may as it can sometimes be the case that an issue does not present itself til after the topic has been covered.
As was the case for someone earlier in the thread.

insanityscratching Tue 23-Apr-13 18:55:05

Dd did this she has autism too. Her teacher warned me in advance because she is aware dd has issues with food because she doesn't eat the sweets or chocolate when they are given out for birthdays. She asked her class to fill in the diary with what the family ate. Dd filled in what I cooked rather than which bits of each meal she ate.No one would know whether you did the same or whether she made it up instead.

echt Tue 23-Apr-13 18:57:20

Unless a preoccupation with food is on the student's IEP, the teacher won't know about it. On my school's current system, all issues are flagged up on the roll for every class. Most classes have just about all children with a red flag next to their name. Most of the time it says stuff like "gets travel sick". We are supposed to check for changes regularly, and for every cover lesson. For me that's 125 children, for someone teaching, say Music, that would be 200.

Not saying it shouldn't be done, but not easy to tailor the curriculum or approaches to it as is suggested here.

Mumof3men Tue 23-Apr-13 18:57:22

A Primary school child died from an eating disorder????????? Surely that would have been in the paper/on the news?

Smartiepants79 Tue 23-Apr-13 18:58:23

I teach primary children and in my experience they cannot recall accurately what thy did/ate the day before so if they need that knowledge to discuss/compare etc. it needs to have been recorded.

AmberLeaf Tue 23-Apr-13 19:02:01

^I emphasised the word may as it can sometimes be the case that an issue does not present itself til after the topic has been covered.
As was the case for someone earlier in the thread^

No, you said; disorder that MAY exist disorder, not issue.

Come on now, don't backtrack!

AmberLeaf Tue 23-Apr-13 19:03:44

If you want such individual attention and learning then home education is really the only answer

Missed that bit and you're a teacher?

What does inclusion mean to you?

Willowisp Tue 23-Apr-13 19:04:27

I think I'd be interested it what the teachers are teaching as 'healthy' food.

After they provided me with their agenda, i'd decide whether I agreed & only then, let my DD's take part in the lesson.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now