to think this was rude?

(12 Posts)
JennifersBody Tue 23-Apr-13 16:07:59

On a lunch break, bumped into someone I used to work with in the toilets.

I said hey, how are you? and congratulations by the way! (she got married a couple of months ago)

And she replied - "thanks, you always said we'd end up getting married. We're not having any babies just yet"

And with that she walked off.

I felt like saying - A) I never even asked you about children and B) Thanks for asking how I am.

Went back to my table. Could see her sat on the other side with a friend so she wasn't in a rush or had to be somewhere.

Maybe she was fed up of people asking when she planned to start a family, so got her response in first? And if she was lunching with a freind she maybe felt it would be rude to leave that friend for a long time?

wonderingifiam2013 Tue 23-Apr-13 16:13:31

was she rude when you worked with her?

Maybe her friend had been bugging her about children?

Some people are just full of themselves - don't let it bother you

picnicbasketcase Tue 23-Apr-13 16:13:56

I agree, she probably gets loads of people doing that old 'you're married now, when will you be starting a family' line of questioning and was expecting the same from you. Not asking you how you are, that is a bit rude though.

squoosh Tue 23-Apr-13 16:19:45

She sounds like a proper charmer. Who cares if 1000 people before you had asked about kids, no need for her to be so abrupt to you.

BeatenByAnEgg Tue 23-Apr-13 16:20:54

Do you think she thought that you thought she was pregnant as it is quite a while after the wedding to be giving congratulations.

(And <snigger> at someone you used to work with in the toilets)

digerd Tue 23-Apr-13 17:01:18

I too thought you said you used to work together in the toilets.blush

She could have been less curt, I agree.

Roseformeplease Tue 23-Apr-13 17:06:39

I thought she was mostly rude for not going, "And how are things with you / job / family" and at least show some interest in your life.

LynetteScavo Tue 23-Apr-13 17:06:53

Awww.....she was coming out of the toilets a couple of months after getting married and announced she wasn't having any children yet. Ouch.
I'd think she had a massive disappointment a few seconds ago.

Iwishitwouldgetwarmer Tue 23-Apr-13 19:55:04

Just curious but what work did you do in the toilets? grin

"work with in the toilets"

CognitiveOverload Tue 23-Apr-13 19:58:13

Maybe she had other stuff on her mind.

GeneHuntsMistress Tue 23-Apr-13 21:01:52

What lynette said. Exactly that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now