to rip all the heads off the dandelion flowers in my garden?

(34 Posts)
Badgerwife Tue 23-Apr-13 12:29:11

I think dandelions are a nasty weed and I want to kill every single one of the buggers to stop them turning into seeds and taking over the sorry little patch of grass we call garden.

DH thinks I'm mad, that the yellow flowers are 'pretty' and that as we're renting and it was little more than a mud field when we moved in, I shouldn't care about this. He gets a bit sulky when I rip them but I don't care.

Should I care though?

Pixieonthemoor Tue 23-Apr-13 20:52:46

No need to go into combat and uproot the stinky things; just go out with your pouring table salt and carefully pour about half to one teaspoon onto the centre of each plant in the centre of the rosette of leaves. Leave til after the next rain et voila! No more dandelions! Effective, cheap and not too chemically iykwim.

digerd Tue 23-Apr-13 21:19:17

I've tried the salt and it didn't work. Also their roots are so long, and under my lawn are bits of bricks, glass, stone and rock hard clay. It's impossible to dig them up.

I like their flowers, then try to take them off before they go to the furry seeds. Or use weed killer.
I am overrun with Candula, which I thought were buttercups, until my neighbour derided me with contempt.
They have taken over a whole small bed of different colours/shapes of conifers. Can't get rid of those either.

UniS Tue 23-Apr-13 21:35:45

I pay DS a penny a dandelion flower too. He earns a little top up pocket money and I have an incentive to dig some of them out before it costs me tooooo much.

treesntrees Tue 23-Apr-13 22:31:34

Not quite warm enough for the bees here although the dandelions are appearing

chickydoo Tue 23-Apr-13 22:35:11

No Dandelions in my garden, my tortoise has munched the lot grin

Our two guinea-pig boars love them- but only very small leaves.
I've noticed they seem to grow in the nettles though.
Ouch shock

Good job I love those guineas.

Badgerwife Wed 24-Apr-13 07:59:41

algor good point

Badgerwife Wed 24-Apr-13 08:08:23

See, I like the idea of trying the salt thing, but we are not talking 5 feeble plants, we are talking 50 deeply rooted monstrosities

We are overrun with buttercups in the borders, but they don't get into the lawn too much. Digerd - do you mean celandines? Like buttercups but with pointier petals?

I sometimes use a spot weedkiller on the dandelions when they get too much. We'll never get rid of them entirely as the neighbours have them and there is a field opposite that gets lots. The bee thing is a good point, but we have lots of bee friendly flowers in the garden so I don't feel too bad. It's easier to do them all at once when they are just budding than try and catch them before they set seed, but I will try and leave a few this year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now