Pink hair, orange hair, maroon hair: please STOP!

(178 Posts)
StephaniePowers Tue 23-Apr-13 10:48:43

AIBU

hair dyed in candy colours looks bloody stupid on grown women.

<gavel>

PostBellumBugsy Tue 23-Apr-13 11:36:21

what is a "mum" haircut? I never know these things - bloody hell, I may unwittingly have one!

dopeysheep Tue 23-Apr-13 11:36:38

I think it's a shame to be limited in what colour your hair is or whether you can have piercings or wear short skirts or whatever because of your age.
Of course evetything looks better on under 25's because they are young and perky but getting older shouldn't be the death knell of colour and fun. How discriminatory.

WildlingPrincess Tue 23-Apr-13 11:40:46

Yabu. I love my purple hair. It was pink the other week. Shaved last year.

StickyProblem Tue 23-Apr-13 11:40:55

Well said SirBoobAlot - "Spoil sport." That's exactly it.

Sure, bright colours look better on young people. My (young) face looked better on a young person! What should I do now I'm greying and in my mid-40s? Throw a blanket over myself and sit in the corner?!

BlastAndDalmatians Tue 23-Apr-13 11:43:25

Yabu. The only reason I haven't still got pink hair is it was costing me a fortune in upkeep, my hair is naturally nearly black so I had to bleach it fully and then regularly reapply the pink. It looked awesome (if I do say so myself) but I am incredibly lazy.

ScarletLady02 has THE most amazing hair I have ever seen, it's lush. I want mine like that, even just for my wedding day...Scarlet can you tell me more about it?

cinnamonsugar Tue 23-Apr-13 11:44:19

YANBU for not liking bright hair colours. That's a personal preference.

YABU to think: I just personally think it looks quite sad on women over about 25. It's sort of saying "I don't like my life and I can't change it: but I can have ZANY hair! Look I am FREE! (but not really)".

It's totally illogical unless you also think that about people wearing bright/striking clothes, coloured eyeshadow, bright/unusual nailpolish etc. They are all adornment. It's not 'sort of saying' anything. The only thing you can reasonably infer is 'That person probably really likes what pink/blue/purple hair looks like'.

TiredFeet Tue 23-Apr-13 11:45:42

I love bright coloured hair, love it. I have totally conventionally mousy brown hair myself, partly because dh is a big ginger and I'm worried about clashing, and partly because you can't really get away with it in my job (solicitor) but I think it can look amazing, and adds colour to the world.

YoothaJoist Tue 23-Apr-13 11:47:59

They are all adornment. It's not 'sort of saying' anything.

But the reverse is true. All adornment is saying something.

And what wacky coloured hair is mostly saying is 'please pay me some attention'. Which I find a bit wearing.

Longdistance Tue 23-Apr-13 11:48:29

I hate the disco badger look.

Dark on top, blonde underneath confused

Madlizzy Tue 23-Apr-13 11:50:19

I wear what I want, have my hair how I want and don't give a monkey's chuff what other people think. I'm currently red and last colour was purple. I'm 43. Oh, and my life is fine and dandy, and I don't consider myself 'zany' at all. I colour it because I like it.

cinnamonsugar Tue 23-Apr-13 11:52:19

All adornment is saying something.
Sometimes, sometimes not and you can't tell just by looking at someone what it is. Assuming someone with bright hair is doing it for attention, and they really may not be or maybe not from attention from you, why is that any more wearing than someone wearing something else so that people think they're wealthy and therefore a more worthwhile person, for example?

YoothaJoist Tue 23-Apr-13 11:52:50

I wear what I want, have my hair how I want and don't give a monkey's chuff what other people think

And it's just that kind of slightly aggressive individualism that is so very wearing for those of us with a gentler approach to social interaction.

By all means colour your hair. But think about why you feel the need to.

YoothaJoist Tue 23-Apr-13 11:53:42

All adornment is ALWAYS saying something. Even when you think it isn't. Really.

I don't wear my hair like I do for any reason other than it makes me smile when I look in the mirror...not for attention...not to be "zany"...so bang goes that theory grin

BlastandDalmations - what do you want to know? It's bleached and dyed blue and then I've braided in felted wool dreads which I made myself. It's not actually like that any more as I'm going white again for the summer so I'm trying to get rid of the blue.

FWIW, I had white dreads for my wedding day, I'll see if I can find a picture.

MrsWolowitz Tue 23-Apr-13 11:56:04

I don't care. I have no issue with people having rainbow hair, piercings, tattoos or dreadlocks. Or other body modifications.

I do have an issue with people being sexist, racist, ageist, discriminatory against those with physical or mental disabilities, being bigoted, or extremely judgy.

^ This.

Totally agree.

ScumbagCollegeDropout Tue 23-Apr-13 11:56:48

I 'feel the need to' because I like it.

Does there have to be other reasons? hmm

BTW, my hair has been dyed for the past five years. I'm over 40. I have no intention of stopping colouring my hair, and am planning a tattoo.

squoosh Tue 23-Apr-13 11:58:31

I'm committed to the blonde cause but have no problem with people dying their hair any colour they want, pink tips seems to be popular at the moment.

The Sharon Osbourne inspired purple, choppy cut isn't my favourite however. But it doesn't bother me.

I remember having a gentleman caller who had leopard print hair.

BlastAndDalmatians Tue 23-Apr-13 11:58:35

That was it really, how you did it! Was it really difficult? Having never done it before would I be able to manage without help? Do you want to come and do mine for me? OK maybe not the last one..

The more I think about it the more I think I want to do it.

Where are you? I'd be happy to if you're local smile
I'm self taught, doing it yourself is completely doable. You can buy the dreads separately and just get someone to braid them in - I didn't make my wedding dreads.

I've added some pics to my profile - one from my wedding day, and one of my wedding hair but styled differently.

bleedingheart Tue 23-Apr-13 12:01:45

I'd love to go lilac but I don't think my hair could take the initial bleaching.
YABU

Love your hair, Scarlet. I had a couple of fake dreads in over the summer, but didn't have the time to maintain them by the time we got to winter, so took them out. That's not to say they won't go back in though...

LadyBeagleEyes Tue 23-Apr-13 12:07:12

I don't have any 'zany' colours, but I do get highlights.
So what does that say about me?
Some people are being so sour and rude here, I like different colours of hair.
Oh, and didn't Helen Mirren go pink at a recent awards ceremony?
Can't people just colour their hair because they like it?

Fairylea Tue 23-Apr-13 12:08:46

<dyes hair burgundy in rebellion>

BlastAndDalmatians Tue 23-Apr-13 12:09:43

On the SE coast. Whereabouts do you get dreads from? I'm so clueless. Off to have a nose at pics..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now