Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Pink hair, orange hair, maroon hair: please STOP!

(178 Posts)
StephaniePowers Tue 23-Apr-13 10:48:43

AIBU

hair dyed in candy colours looks bloody stupid on grown women.

<gavel>

I loved my bubblegum pink hair. It looked brilliant. YABU.

YoothaJoist Tue 23-Apr-13 10:51:25

I'm with you OP, although I imagine you are in for a flamin'

Burgundy hair is my pet hate. It flatters about 3 people in the entire world. None of them live in this country.

YeahBuddy Tue 23-Apr-13 10:51:56

Oh I had bright pink hair up until the day after I had my DTs, I couldn't keep up with looking after newborn twins and maintaining the pink. It is making a comeback now that they're slightly older so there grin

StephaniePowers Tue 23-Apr-13 10:54:45

Nononononnooo
It's on a par with having fifteen facial piercings.
I just think: cannot grow up, says things like "Ha HAAAAA I'm MAD, me!", has loads of teddies on her bed.....

SORRY but it needs saying.

KatyTheCleaningLady Tue 23-Apr-13 10:56:57

It used to be cute/cool. Now, it's common. In every sense of the word.

I don't care. I have no issue with people having rainbow hair, piercings, tattoos or dreadlocks. Or other body modifications.

I do have an issue with people being sexist, racist, ageist, discriminatory against those with physical or mental disabilities, being bigoted, or extremely judgy.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 23-Apr-13 10:57:43

YANBU. I had pink hair when I was 19. It looked cool. It would not look cool after 30.

ohforfoxsake Tue 23-Apr-13 10:58:33

Since moving North I've noticed a lot more women with red, pink, blue hair. Unheard of where we lived in London, where it was all blond highlights and Boden macs.

I prefer the former TBH.

PostBellumBugsy Tue 23-Apr-13 10:58:46

Aw, I love funky coloured hair. When I was in my teens I tried lots of different colours & really loved doing it. Now, I'm old and dull and boring and conventional and have normal coloured hair, because I don't want to be seen as ridiculous - but that makes me just a tiny bit sad.

We're so lucky to have the freedoms that we do, so I applaud all women who are brave & fun enough to have fun coloured hair.

ohforfoxsake Tue 23-Apr-13 11:00:38

See I just don't think it's on a par with facial piercings AT ALL. It's just...different coloured hair (although I have had a aversion to burgundy - or 'deep mahogany' for 30 years since my school days).

Meh...I change my hair colour more often than most people have hot dinners...I'm 30 soon...

Funnily enough I don't do it to please you so <<blows raspberry>>

StephaniePowers Tue 23-Apr-13 11:06:01

Everyone telling me to wind my neck in is completely right, of course you are. I know IBU.

I just personally think it looks quite sad on women over about 25. It's sort of saying "I don't like my life and I can't change it: but I can have ZANY hair! Look I am FREE! (but not really)".

UnChartered Tue 23-Apr-13 11:08:12

i've got pink, orange, maroon and GREY hair grin

facial piercings are long healed over though

tattooes are increasing in numbers - contemplating another soon

<blows huge kiss at OP>

grin

Gerrof Tue 23-Apr-13 11:10:31

I love all the bright hair colours that people have now - purples, lilacs, pinks and that bright Ariel from Little Mermaid red.

I would never dye it a bright colour myself, far too boring and conservative looking. But I like it in others.

Gerrof Tue 23-Apr-13 11:11:15

The only thing I have noticed is that the bright colours never look shiny, always very dull and matte on the hair. Do the dyes do something funny to your hair?

MrsClown1 Tue 23-Apr-13 11:14:03

Im 53 and have purple spikey hair! Youve got me thinking I look a twat now.

Postbellum - go for it! We can both look twats together.

OMG - I also have tattoos and piercings (non facial).

There's no hope - I am definitely growing old disgracefully.

HeathRobinson Tue 23-Apr-13 11:15:57

YABU. I don't, but why not? It looks fun. grin

Aah, well on not over 25. Can I still have my pink hair then?

StickyProblem Tue 23-Apr-13 11:17:50

I have a respectable corporate job and purple streaks in with the brown and "silver" smile
Some people like it. DD's friends (aged 8) love it. Americans are visibly freaked out by it and pretend not to notice.

Sidge Tue 23-Apr-13 11:17:59

I don't mind slightly mad coloured hair but it tends to look best on younger women.

Round here I think there must have been a job lot of brick-red hair dye going cheap at the car boot sale; every other woman has this really harsh (but faded) brick red colour, it's really not very nice. I think they'd look better bright pink, or purple, or even turquoise!

ScumbagCollegeDropout Tue 23-Apr-13 11:22:22

I am a few years past 25 and currently have bright purpley blue hair. Just recently it was pink.

I also have piercings.

I don't have any teddies on my bed though.

And I actually really like my life at the moment.

So nyah! grin

pinkyredrose Tue 23-Apr-13 11:28:34

What's your hair colour OP? Do you just follow the crowd?

SirBoobAlot Tue 23-Apr-13 11:28:42

My hair has been various shades of red for several years. Have done bright reds before - it was great fun. I might try purple at some point.

YABU. Spoil sport.

happyyonisleepyyoni Tue 23-Apr-13 11:30:19

Burgundy hair with a "mum" haircut...classy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now