To think this really isn't a bloody name?

(198 Posts)
ballinacup Tue 23-Apr-13 10:27:02

My cousin and her DP have just had their first baby together (she already has three sons, it's her DP's first).

Cute little thing, very sweet.

They've called her Thirteen.

Thirteen

Apparently this is because she was born in 2013 and cousin's birthday is on the 13th of June. I'm sure they think they're very unique and interesting, and yet I can't help feeling that they have forgotten that they're naming a person. Someone who has to go to school and introduce herself as Thirteen. Someone who has to apply for university as Thirteen. Someone who has to, every time she says her name for the next (hopefully) eight or nine decades, put up with a confused pause followed by '... Thirteen?!'.

I know name snobbery gets bashed on MN and I'm fully prepared to be told it's a beautiful, unique signifier and that no one will ever bully her for it but seriously... Fucking Thirteen?!

ballinacup Tue 23-Apr-13 10:34:17

Fortunately she has a beautiful middle name, which I assume she will use for pretty much everything, as soon as she is able to express a preference.

MrsClown1 Tue 23-Apr-13 10:34:19

YANBU - the poor child has to live with it - she may change it later. Have they given her a 'normal' middle name, she may be able to use that. I had a friend who called her son Norman due to some stupid family tradition then she gave him a lovely middle name and used that. When I was pregnant with my son I read Anna Karenina and wanted to call my son Sergei (pronounced Sirgay). My husband couldnt stand it and said he would get picked on - I am so glad I listened to him because he would definitely have got picked on about it.

SoupDragon Tue 23-Apr-13 10:34:42

They aren't "special" they are cruel and ignorant.

squoosh Tue 23-Apr-13 10:34:48

I think 72 is much more elegant and timeless.

Loulybelle Tue 23-Apr-13 10:35:24

Some parents really cannot imagine their kids as adults can they.

ballinacup Tue 23-Apr-13 10:35:32

squoosh grin

Sparklyblue Tue 23-Apr-13 10:35:49

I don't think you should be allowed to register names like this sad
Poor kid.
I know two brothers called Storm and Chaos hmm

SirBoobAlot Tue 23-Apr-13 10:35:51

What. The. Fuck?

I've heard some ridiculous names, but this is just a prize winner.

Can't believe it's just that she was born in 2013 either, how utterly bizarre.

zukiecat Tue 23-Apr-13 10:36:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GoingUpInTheWorld Tue 23-Apr-13 10:36:23

Have they registered the baby yet? If not can someone give them a good talking to?

SoupDragon Tue 23-Apr-13 10:36:24

Please tell me your response was "Why the fuck have you called her that you thick twats?"

[hopeful]

shock are they house fans or something? They do know 13 was just her nick name and she had a real name???

Poor kid

pictish Tue 23-Apr-13 10:36:48

squoosh grin

unebagpipe Tue 23-Apr-13 10:38:24

Out of the kindness of your heart please show her this thread. And this is a forum where usually any suggestions are welcomed (IMHO!)... It will haunt her forever, poor wee girl- can't they use it as a middle name instead?

SlimFitWellies Tue 23-Apr-13 10:38:57

Lordy.

My cousin went to schooll with a girl called Seven. That was kind of cool though and she carried it off well.

I read on here once a MNetter went to school with someone called Wednesday West, which I thought was a terrific name.

Thirteen though - I doubt it will catch on.

Nanny0gg Tue 23-Apr-13 10:39:43

Have you actually told them how ridiculous they're being?
And how she will be ripped to shreds at school?

She (and they) will certainly be a hot topic of conversation in the Staff room!

Nanny0gg Tue 23-Apr-13 10:40:33

Soupdragon

grin

zukiecat Tue 23-Apr-13 10:40:45

squoosh Tue 23-Apr-13 10:41:12

I'd love to work in the births registry office. I'd soon set people straight. I'd probably be fired after a week for extreme rudeness but at least I'd have save a few baby Thirteens.

zukie - not with that "alternative" spelling, though i hope wink

ballinacup Tue 23-Apr-13 10:44:22

Other members of the family have tried their best to talk them round, including some very harsh and frank 'That's just fucking stupid' comments. They refuse to be swayed though as their friends are all telling them what a wonderful name it is, and how their daughter's amazing uniqueness is reflected in their amazingly unique choice of amazingly unique name.

Precious little snowflakes that they are.

Loulybelle Tue 23-Apr-13 10:45:02

Right up there with the idiots who called their DD Hashtag.

How's she ever gonna get into a night club?? smile

zukiecat Tue 23-Apr-13 10:47:14

piprabbit Tue 23-Apr-13 10:47:14

"I am not a number, I am a free man."

Oops, turns out I am in fact a number and a very unlucky one at that.

On the plus side the child will be able to choose her own name in life without needing to feel guilty about rejecting her parents' choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now