Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that the form for my kids new school should not ask......

(196 Posts)
SuedeEffectPochette Tue 23-Apr-13 09:36:03

.......for my "christian" name! It's a state school. They must get all sorts of guidance on how not to cause offence. Surely this is a term from the 1950s these days!

State schools are Christian, so it's a fairly safe bet that if you are happy for your child to go there, you are either Christian, or don't mind being exposed to Christian practises.

No it's not a safe bet. A lot of parents with children in state schools do mind that schools are all Christian, but they have little choice.

undercoversahm Tue 23-Apr-13 09:52:43

YANBU but perhaps you are missing the more important bigger picture which is the lack of separation of religion and state in the UK. That should change - France has no trouble keeping education and religion separate.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Tue 23-Apr-13 09:54:09

Are all state schools really Christian? Even secondaries, and academies? Or do academies not count as state? confused

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Tue 23-Apr-13 09:55:26

(I though ours was just a bit fundamental because it's overtly VA)

BumpingFuglies Tue 23-Apr-13 09:55:32

If the issue is that the school assumes you are Christian, but you do not want them to do that, would you not have looked into it before selecting the school? confused

If it's that important?

Either way I wouldn't get worked up about it. Plus, you're not another religion, are you?

lljkk Tue 23-Apr-13 10:02:24

I wish OP's problem was the biggest one I had to face this week.

We dont have academies where I live, so I cannot comment on that, but all secondaries here are Christian. Even integrated schools (N.Ireland).

Either way I wouldn't get worked up about it. Plus, you're not another religion, are you?

So Atheists should just suck it up should they? Its discrimination.

MidniteScribbler Tue 23-Apr-13 10:12:02

Oh FFS go and get worked up over something that is actually important.

littleducks Tue 23-Apr-13 10:14:19

All schools see not Christian, there are state funded Hindu, Sikh and Muslim schools that I am aware of and possibly others (Jewish?) I am not.

There are many non denominational schools that are broadly Christian in nature. I think many people accept that as the alternatives are expensive HE/private schooling.

It wouldn't offend me to see 'Christian' name on a form but I would wonder about it. Would the school be less accommodating to children of other or no belief?

MoaningYoniWhingesAgain Tue 23-Apr-13 10:29:31

I would think the form is dated and due a review. But offensive? I am atheist and I couldn't give the tiniest shite about this.

I do mind my DD has been instructed to pray at school. I do mind she is being taught christians beliefs as facts rather than as beliefs some people hold.

ShadowStorm Tue 23-Apr-13 10:32:27

It's a bit old-fashioned.

But it's probably more about a failure to update the form than about assumptions about children's religion.

iloveweetos Tue 23-Apr-13 10:36:16

Im sikh and i dont see anything wrong with Christian name...i actually like seeing it on forms etc
Old fashioned? so what...this country is being made to give up alot of 'old fashioned' traditions because of other religions!
Maybe i'm being ridiculous, but I wouldnt expect it to be changed.

undercoversahm Tue 23-Apr-13 10:38:56

All schools are religious (C of E if not specifically Hindu, Catholic or whatever). I am not aware of any atheist schools which seems crazy given that most of the population are not practicing anythings.

I agree that "Christian Name" is not in itself anything to get worked up about, but having 90% of schools be C of E with no real choice for the non religious is a big deal.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Tue 23-Apr-13 10:39:15

YANBU, a school of all places ought to be sufficiently up-to-date to know to ask for your first, or forename, rather than your 'christian' name!

msrisotto Tue 23-Apr-13 10:39:49

I'm atheist and whilst I do have a problem with children being indoctrinated into religions before they can choose or even have a clue what is going on.....the term 'Christian name' honestly doesn't bother me.

YoniMaroney Tue 23-Apr-13 10:40:25

Kill them, kill them with fire.

This reminds me of that episode of South Park where the kids had to put on a Xmas play with no references to any religions what so ever in order to not accidentally offend or upset anyone grin

Seriously it's not something worth getting worked up over.

Lovelygoldboots Tue 23-Apr-13 10:45:14

Surname seems to be going out of fashion. When I was a student I worked in USA and nobody had heard of it. I think there should be some sort of campaign to keep it!

kim147 Tue 23-Apr-13 10:51:39

State Schools aren't really Christian. The only nod to religion is that assembly must have some collective worship of a broadly Christian nature. Most State schools don't go to that much effort and also discuss other religions.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Tue 23-Apr-13 10:54:24

Our VC primary was v multicultural though did still have the local vicar in fairly often, and the Riding Lights Christian-y performances... but I'm sure they were always sufficiently aware not to use 'Christian name'!

MrsDeVere Tue 23-Apr-13 11:01:37

My son's school wrote a letter addressed to Mr and Mrs A DeVere

'A' is my OH initial not mine.

I made me full of rage. I was livid (no, really, I properly was).
Fecking cheek referring to me by my OH's name.

I must point out at this point that I only took his surname because mine was truly awful. Doesn't mean I gave my first name as well.

Now that is an outmoded form of address.

Christian name wouldn't bother me although I would be mildly surprised to see it these days.

YoniMaroney Tue 23-Apr-13 11:01:38

Some state schools are very Christian. Particularly Catholic schools.

DioneTheDiabolist Tue 23-Apr-13 11:05:56

YABU and a bit ridiculous.

HintofBream Tue 23-Apr-13 11:41:54

MrsDeVere,
That is the correct way to address a formal letter to a married couple. I can see why you don't like it, but hardly fair on the school to be enraged. If they had addresed letters home informally, no doubt there would have been complaints about that.
Do you also object to a letter beginning "Dear Ms DeVere" when you don't know the sender and have no reason to be "dear" to them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now