Why is this bugging me? Am I just being a dick?

(199 Posts)
AnonAndOnAndOn Tue 23-Apr-13 09:02:05

DP's mum knows someone who works at Wimbledon and gets given four free tickets each year for the centre court. She keeps two for herself and gives two to DP.

Yesterday DP told me 'no offence' but he was really wanting to take DSD and not me. Then suggested we buy a ticket for me so I can join them.

But the only way to get a ticket now is to queue up from 6am and even then I'm not guaranteed to get the same tickets as them. I'll probably be in the ground courts while they're in the centre court.

I suspect I'm being stupid but I'm really pissed off about it and feel quite hurt. AIBU?

trixymalixy Tue 23-Apr-13 09:03:57

Have you been before? Has your DSD?

MoaneyMcmoanmoan Tue 23-Apr-13 09:05:43

Is your DSD into tennis?

CocacolaMum Tue 23-Apr-13 09:06:36

my idea of hell so I would gladly let/make DSD go in my place.. his tickets, his choice. If you want to go then pay.

lemontwist Tue 23-Apr-13 09:06:45

How old is DSD? If she's old enough to appreciate it then YABU I'm afraid. I can understand feeling a bit left out though sad

AnonAndOnAndOn Tue 23-Apr-13 09:07:41

He took DSD last year (but I was abroad when they went).

I've never been before and would really like to go.

Cluffyfunt Tue 23-Apr-13 09:07:54

Has it turned into a kind of tradition that DP takes dsd?

AnonAndOnAndOn Tue 23-Apr-13 09:08:12

Oh and she's 5 and not that bothered about tennis.

AnonAndOnAndOn Tue 23-Apr-13 09:09:15

No, not a tradition. They only went for the first time last year. I know it's childish but I just feel left out.

MoaneyMcmoanmoan Tue 23-Apr-13 09:09:32

I agree with Cluffyfunt (there's a sentence I never thought I would type!)
It's probaby their 'thing' now. Try not to be begrudge it, and go and have a lovely day doing something else.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 23-Apr-13 09:09:57

She's five?

He really isn't that into you then, is he?

MoaneyMcmoanmoan Tue 23-Apr-13 09:11:04

Probaby? grin. Sounds like I'm turning it into a prochoice/ prolife thread!

probably

AnonAndOnAndOn Tue 23-Apr-13 09:11:06

Alibabaa, we're buying a house together and ttc.

Pretty sure he's into me.

GiraffesAndButterflies Tue 23-Apr-13 09:11:11

If you queue up at 6am you have no hope of centre court (just in case you end up doing it). Depending on the day that needs at least one night of camping in the park.

And sadly I would say YABU... Yes it's hard on you missing out but then it's hard on her missing out too. Your DP has no good options really except giving the tickets to me

Maybe you and DP could get grounds tickets for a different day? Or go in the evening on resale tickets, that can be very good value on a fine, light day.

lottieandmia Tue 23-Apr-13 09:11:46

YANBU - I can totally understand because you've never been before and she's only 5.

GiraffesAndButterflies Tue 23-Apr-13 09:12:15

X post, just seen she's 5 and you've never been? I got the wrong impression sorry, YANBU.

maddening Tue 23-Apr-13 09:12:25

Does his dm want her dgd there too? Were they given to dp as dm assumed that her ds and dgd would be going with her?

Yabu really, he wants to spend time with his daughter, you can't begrudge him that. Get tickets for you and him for a different day.

lottieandmia Tue 23-Apr-13 09:13:24

'She's five?

He really isn't that into you then, is he?'

^^ this

lemontwist Tue 23-Apr-13 09:13:50

Five and not into tennis? She's not really going to get much out of it and he'll have to deal with a bored five year old. Does he know how much you want to go?

AnonAndOnAndOn Tue 23-Apr-13 09:15:02

I feel like:

1. He took DSD last year so couldn't it be my turn this year?
2. DSD isn't sporty at all and frankly couldn't give a shit about tennis.
3. I've never been and really want to go.
4. Given points 2 and 3, I'm disappointed that DP didn't think it would be a really nice thing for us to do together. And would rather drag DSD round there all day because he's being all PFB.

SanityClause Tue 23-Apr-13 09:15:04

It sounds like they may have had a really lovely time last year, and he wants to repeat it.

Does your DSD live with you? Does he get to spend much time just with her?

I think YABU, actually.

If you really want to go, you can queue up for returns, every afternoon, and see some tennis. (I know people who do this most years, and have a lovely time.) Or is it just that you think it's not fair that DP has chosen DSD, and not you?

AnonAndOnAndOn Tue 23-Apr-13 09:17:27

She lives with us most of the time.

AnonAndOnAndOn Tue 23-Apr-13 09:18:44

I'd just like it if for once he put as much thought and effort into doing something nice for just the two of us as he does for doing things with his DSD.

He puts loads of effort into arranging cool things for us all to do together. But I miss the one to one time with him.

MoaneyMcmoanmoan Tue 23-Apr-13 09:19:24

Perhaps though he is trying to create memories with her... Wouldn't it be lovely to be able to say "my father took me to Wimbledon every year?"

I mean, would you be feeling the same way if he took her to the movies or even a different city that you had never been to before?

I think you need to rein in your feelings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now