Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU what's with the whole 'nethuns' nonsense?

(182 Posts)
AuchAyethenoo Mon 22-Apr-13 19:37:44

I'm quite happily a member of both forums, I get lots out of both, but it does REALLY rip my knitting when a few on MN call it net'huns'.

Dare I say I actually find it quite an offensive term, being from Glasgow the word 'hun' has very particular connotations in a sectarian form.

I know there is a fairly large cross over of users, so why with the hate people?

OutragedFromLeeds Mon 22-Apr-13 19:39:16

I think it's a joke, based on a play on words?

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Mon 22-Apr-13 19:39:20

<pulls up chair>

Emmon Mon 22-Apr-13 19:40:02

Wasn't Atilla also a Hun?

GrowSomeCress Mon 22-Apr-13 19:40:22

I didn't quite understand the 'hun' thing for a while but then realised it's supposed to be because they call each other 'hunni' and so on.

squoosh Mon 22-Apr-13 19:40:48

I'm in Glasgow too. Would never use the word 'hun'. It doesn't have the same connotations elsewhere though.

squoosh Mon 22-Apr-13 19:41:59

I've never actually visisted Net***s, must pop over and have a look, see if it's as bad as legend says.

Gerrof Mon 22-Apr-13 19:42:16

They think we're twats as well. grin

The Hun thing comes from the whole 'thanks Hun x' shite, of course it is not related to any sectarian nastiness so it is a bit silly to find it offensive.

I don't dislike netmums, it is a completely different site with different strengths, just not for me. But I don't think calling them nethums is horribly rude or spiteful tbh.

ClaraOswald Mon 22-Apr-13 19:42:41

So whenever you get call "hun" on NM you get offended?

"Aww, hun, Your bubba, your rools."

Personally I dislike endearments coming from people I don't know. If they weren't so fond of them I think the joke would fall a bit flat, wouldn't it?

AuchAyethenoo Mon 22-Apr-13 19:43:20

I know there's not the malice I initially perceive there to be in it, but it's still really quite jarring every time I read it.

Coconutty Mon 22-Apr-13 19:44:30

They always call each other hun, hence the NN NetHuns.

OutragedFromLeeds Mon 22-Apr-13 19:44:36

You'll get used to it.

AuchAyethenoo Mon 22-Apr-13 19:46:05

Clara fortunately my posts are never the sort that illicit such 'niceties'.

saycheeeeeese Mon 22-Apr-13 19:46:26

YABU and im from Northern Ireland where hun also has sectarian connotations.

But they mean hun as in hunni, and they give as good as they get over there.

biscuit

HoneyDragon Mon 22-Apr-13 19:46:29

They call us The Dark Side <<proud>> but only cos the mods won't let them call us Wankers wink

LoganMummy Mon 22-Apr-13 19:46:31

I've been wondering the same. Also in Glasgow but I don't think other areas of the country would have the same first reaction to 'hun' as I/we did so I knew it couldn't be that.

Emmon Mon 22-Apr-13 19:48:02

Perhaps you could express your annoyance in a pink glittery ticker.

AuchAyethenoo Mon 22-Apr-13 19:48:43

Also it's looking at the context it written in, reading 'aww hun' evokes a sense of sympathy or endearment as opposed to the condemnation it's used with on here.

What does hun mean when it's not a saccharine endearment (or Attila)? <ignorant>

WildlingPrincess Mon 22-Apr-13 19:51:02

Emmon grin I did an actual LOL.

saycheeeeeese Mon 22-Apr-13 19:52:00

It's what some bigots call Protestants in Norn Iron and parts of Scotland. Meant in a derogatory way, but not the way the nethuns use.

AuchAyethenoo Mon 22-Apr-13 19:52:21

Ouch emmon, fortunately for me I am able to remember my children's names/ages/firsts/shoes size so tickers have never really been my thing.

Gerrof Mon 22-Apr-13 19:52:42

Years ago there used to be rather different for sale boards on mumsnet, they were used mainly by people who were not mumsnetters (they were free to advertise on or something), anyway the for sale threads were nothing like the rest of mumsnet, there was a bit of piss taking bout the 'ok Hun' writing style and there was a bit of a row between the reg mumsnetters and the pram Huns (as they were termed). So there is a bit of mumsnet history with the term anyway.

God knows why this iPad is capitalising Hun, perhaps it knows something I don't.

Shinigami Mon 22-Apr-13 19:53:46

Netmums is a bit twee for my tastes.

scottishmummy Mon 22-Apr-13 19:54:09

huns who are a bit fick and think towie is a documentary
huns as in love ya pwincess,the hunnies have wee mans
not huns as the the relegated gers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now