Tbh I don't care If I am, some parents need to get a grip

(351 Posts)
WildThongIWannaKnowForSure Mon 22-Apr-13 17:58:12

I give you A-Jay, Charlidh, Ameiliah, Blaiyre, Boudicca, Blu-rayne, Foozy, Deztany-Rose, Madison-Bluebell

My favourite is Wyntrr. They could at least have added an h to the end though.

here

Twitterqueen Mon 22-Apr-13 18:01:44

Are you serious? Really! OMG....

KingscoteStaff Mon 22-Apr-13 18:03:51

Not to mention Anuoluwapojojo.l

treas Mon 22-Apr-13 18:07:38

YABU about Boudicca - at least it is a proper name, although not one I would consider.

ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmmmmmmmmm Mon 22-Apr-13 18:07:55

In a house last week, kids called, and I kid you not, Ashanti and Jay-z. Both parents white.confused

BetsyBoob Mon 22-Apr-13 18:07:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shock

My MIL tells the story of when she was a registrar, a girl came in and was registering little Enrique, and when MIL was checking the spelling, the girl got out a CD to double check she had written it right. grin

5318008 Mon 22-Apr-13 18:11:03

tbf I am pissed off that your link downloaded straight to my laptop without asking if I wanted to, thanks for that angry

do you have a link that doesn't do that, for other folks, please?

CloudsAndTrees Mon 22-Apr-13 18:11:10

Oh dear. That list is sad.

Tee2072 Mon 22-Apr-13 18:12:38

It asked me if I wanted to save it, 5318008. Perhaps it's your browser settings?

manicinsomniac Mon 22-Apr-13 18:13:21

Anuoluwapojojo will be a name from a particular culture or country and probably has a prefix part to it which it very common (I've taught a lot of Olu........ long 4,5 or 6 syllable names (eg Oluwakorede, Oluwatoni), the Olu bit means something and all those names are, I think, Nigerian in origin)

And I actually quite like Madison-Bluebell. I doubt she's ever called anything but Madison, the hyphen's just a bit superfluos.

I'm all for creative name choices. Creative spelling makes me twitch a bit but the odd seeming ones are valid more often than you'd think.

BegoniaBampot Mon 22-Apr-13 18:14:49

Thingsthatmakeyougo - i know two kids with names like that with white parents. The kids are adopted from a very troubled background with severe neglect and abuse - they probably get loads of folk sneering as well.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Mon 22-Apr-13 18:15:18

Five baby Barbaras. Five??

manicinsomniac Mon 22-Apr-13 18:17:50

btw - where did you get that link? The ONS only includes name that were given to 3 or more babies for privacy reasons doesn't it? This link has all the names given to only 1 child. And I've never seen it highlight dead children before, that's really sad somehow, even just seeing him/her as a name on a spreadsheet sad

Groovee Mon 22-Apr-13 18:18:06

I thought a child was Ellie at nursery. But it was spelled LA.

Charlidh could be the Gaelic version. I get a lot of digs for having an Eilidh!

There are some ridiculous spellings there. It's just not necessary. S is a perfectly nice letter and does not need be randomly replaced by Z!

Never seen it highlight dead babies before but the Scottish stats have gone down to single names for years.

WildThongIWannaKnowForSure Mon 22-Apr-13 18:20:51

It's the Scotgov stats for 2012, public records manic

manicinsomniac Mon 22-Apr-13 18:26:22

ok, thanks. I didn't realise Scotland had a separate list.

Niceteeth Mon 22-Apr-13 18:27:22

Anuoluwapo is a Nigerian name (yoruba) meaning 'God's mercy is great'. Its actually my cousin's name and we call her Anu for short. I think it's a beautiful name, actually!!

MoodyDidIt Mon 22-Apr-13 18:28:49

think i have told this before

i once worked as a medical receptionist and someone came in with their 2 toddlers, a "T-Jay" (spelt exactly like that,) and his brother "Migell" (said exactly how it reads) and i am sure its cos his mum didnt know how to spell "Miguel " grin

iZombie Mon 22-Apr-13 18:30:47

I encountered a 'Maddysyn' on Friday. I was speechless.

MoodyDidIt Mon 22-Apr-13 18:30:58

and a mate of mine SWEARS she once heard of a child called "Silloumeh" or "Silloumie"

she was in asda a shop and the mum shouted to said child "SILLOUMEHHH!!! GET THE FUCK OFF THEM BISCUITS!! NAHHHHH!!"

grin

SoftKittyWarmKitty Mon 22-Apr-13 18:32:31

Are you telling me that there are two baby boys in Scotland called A? Really? A?

MrsDeVere Mon 22-Apr-13 18:34:18

So what?

Really.

There a thousands of names that I don't like. I may even think some are silly. Some of those names may even be attached to the children of MNers who think they are lovely.

Good for them.

I have more respect for someone who chooses a name they like, they think is pretty than those who start bizarre threads on here asking 'should I name my baby xxxx?' 'is it ok to name my DD xxxxx?' 'Please help me! I have a XXXXX and a XXXX what name can I have for DC3 that goes with them both'

hmm and a confused

WTAF is that all about?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now