to wonder why Chris Grayling's plans to smash our justice system appear to have gone unnoticed here?

(82 Posts)
rooiewooie Mon 22-Apr-13 14:08:01

I've been lurking on here for 3 years now. Never plucked up the courage to post until now.

Barristers in the North are "on strike" (ie meeting) to discuss the latest threat to legal aid and our justice system.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jakewallissimons/100213057/its-the-end-of-the-legal-system-as-we-know-it/

AIBU to wonder why this is not being discussed on MN?

60sname Wed 01-May-13 20:46:02

In my defence it was a few years ago before he had reached his current heights of stupidity

AviatorRegina Thu 02-May-13 15:53:41

I agree with everyone that this is a very serious issue. Found a lot about it on barristerblogger.com/?p=110

rooiewooie Sat 04-May-13 19:46:24
PleaseDontEatMyShoe Sat 04-May-13 21:29:02

What's your interest in this, rooiewooie? Have seen some great summaries and links for some other posters, just a bit confused about your own position (particularly in light of some of the comments about the CPS!)

PleaseDontEatMyShoe Sat 04-May-13 21:29:38

from some other posters blush

rooiewooie Sat 04-May-13 22:04:06

my position is that I am worried that the country is sleepwalking into some kind of Robocop style nightmare. I don't fully understand all the issues (I'm not a lawyer!) and I hate to get all conspiracy theory about it but I find it really sinister that there is hardly anything being reported about it in the media

deeplybaffled Sat 04-May-13 22:47:35

I agree. I work in the legal system, on the civil, rather than criminal court side and the future is looking pretty bleak there too. I think the problem is that the public don't need a lawyer for anything at all for most of the time, so it's all very remote. When and if the time comes that they do, I suspect there will be an outcry....but it will be too late sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now