Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be pissed off at the abuse of the exclamation mark?

(77 Posts)
nenevomito Mon 22-Apr-13 12:37:06

Why end every sodding sentence in an exclamation mark instead of a full stop? It hurts my eyes and makes posts look silly.

The exclamation mark is a punctuation mark usually used after an interjection or exclamation to indicate strong feelings or high volume (shouting), and often marks the end of a sentence. Example: “Watch out!”

You don't bloody well need it when talking about boring shit. I keep seeing this kind of thing.

Hi! I went to the shops today! I bought a gorgeous dress!

Totally, totally wrong.

Even worse is the need to use !!!!!!!!! Why? What's wrong with one !?

Hi!!!! I went to the shops!!!!!! I bought a dress!!!! Someone was mean to me in the changing room as I sounded just so damned excited all the time!!!!!!!

I think it's supposed to be like talking very slowly to stupid people.

I know someone with a PhD in English who over uses the full stop for emphasis online.

I. Kid. You. Not.

valiumredhead Mon 22-Apr-13 21:05:38

My dh uses industrial language at work grin Made me laugh my socks of when HR told him the correct term.

nenevomito Mon 22-Apr-13 20:46:59

MrsDV, she sounds a delight.

Arbitrary - Do people over use the full stop? At work it seems like folk have forgotten that they exist for the end of sentences, especially in a bullet point list.

It makes me weep giant tears of sadness for the poor little full stop.

What. About. When. People. Over. Use. The. Full. Stop?

Emmon Mon 22-Apr-13 19:49:21

Industrial language is swearing.

SomethingOnce Mon 22-Apr-13 19:45:49

What is 'industrial language', Emmon?

MrsDeVere Mon 22-Apr-13 19:44:35

<blush>!!!!!!!

Emmon Mon 22-Apr-13 19:38:37

I find it really quite bizarre and ironic you get offended by someone misusing an exclamation mark and choose to articulate this by using industrial language.

StoicButStressed Mon 22-Apr-13 19:31:38

MrsD - I didn't think it was actually to possibly love you more than I did already... (COUNT PLEASE ALL ABOVE; just THREE ...'s)

...But I do! You are WONDEROUS and I love you and your posts HUGELYsmile xxx

exoticfruits Mon 22-Apr-13 19:14:16

On MN I feel a great need for it!!!

Samu2 Mon 22-Apr-13 19:11:10

I abuse the ..... as well.

nenevomito Mon 22-Apr-13 18:50:25

Sorry MissReeling. It's a case of 'do as I say, not as I do'. grin

crashdoll Mon 22-Apr-13 18:09:06

I was a serial abuser of the !!!!! but now, I am much better!

MrsDeVere Mon 22-Apr-13 17:52:59

I like a bit of this....

But DS's birth mother wrote me an entire FB message like this:

Abusive bollocks that is badly spelled......and other thing you should do this.....and more abusive....you are a vile person and mean......you should be giving me more stuff....why don't you do what I say.....more abuse.....lol.......but anyway.....and yet more abuse.....

Obviously I paraphrase but you get the gist. I couldn't even reply to the content of her missive. I could only respond with 'why do you keep doing this......after....every other....word....?

Her reply?

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

I kid you not <sigh>

StoicButStressed Mon 22-Apr-13 17:14:49

SHIT - forgot my bloody semi-colon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reelingintheyears Mon 22-Apr-13 17:14:12

Ha,MsBheave(d).

Geddit???????

StoicButStressed Mon 22-Apr-13 17:14:03

FuckThis & Buzzard - Former I think is probably correct, latter was typo, but, in any event, it's clearly a shit situation...... Offers OP aologies and sympathies at heinous use of English language.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reelingintheyears Mon 22-Apr-13 17:13:20

Ahem,Msbheave,

I can bare (just about) the occasional ?!?

Er,bare or bear,are you baring your bottom or is your bottom bearing you?

WildThongIWannaKnowForSure Mon 22-Apr-13 17:07:50

I will nevah stop........!!!!

Ha......!!!

GaryBarlowsPants Mon 22-Apr-13 17:05:16

Oh. I am an abuser of the exclamation mark.
<Resists the urge to add 5 exclamation marks to that sentence>.
I will stop. Immediately.

WhitesandsofLuskentyre Mon 22-Apr-13 17:03:46

I use an ellipsis when I want it to imply that my thoughts are trailing off, because I don't have a thought bubble punctuation mark e.g. I wonder...

Buzzardbird Mon 22-Apr-13 17:01:28

Poor Aunty Flo stop...

nenevomito Mon 22-Apr-13 16:59:26

Yes ellipsis being used insetad of full stops gets to me as well.

I mean, what's so wrong with a full stop? Is it because people are getting americanised and calling it a period and they're concerned that its become shorthand for your, well, period?

Poor full stop. sad I am very sad at your demise.

SomethingOnce Mon 22-Apr-13 16:55:40

[meltdown]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now