To be pissed off at the abuse of the exclamation mark?

(77 Posts)
nenevomito Mon 22-Apr-13 12:37:06

Why end every sodding sentence in an exclamation mark instead of a full stop? It hurts my eyes and makes posts look silly.

The exclamation mark is a punctuation mark usually used after an interjection or exclamation to indicate strong feelings or high volume (shouting), and often marks the end of a sentence. Example: “Watch out!”

You don't bloody well need it when talking about boring shit. I keep seeing this kind of thing.

Hi! I went to the shops today! I bought a gorgeous dress!

Totally, totally wrong.

Even worse is the need to use !!!!!!!!! Why? What's wrong with one !?

Hi!!!! I went to the shops!!!!!! I bought a dress!!!! Someone was mean to me in the changing room as I sounded just so damned excited all the time!!!!!!!

WorraLiberty Mon 22-Apr-13 12:39:08

What?????????????????????????????????????????????

That's outrageous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes!!!!! YABU!!!!

Snoopingforsoup Mon 22-Apr-13 12:40:34

Text speak is worse, much worse. Be pleased people can still be bothered with the !

Gerrof Mon 22-Apr-13 12:41:18

It's because they're fick.

It's not as annoying as multiple question marks????? Especially on the end of something that isn't a question?????

podgymumma Mon 22-Apr-13 12:43:50

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
grin
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YABU!!!! What's wrong with using punctuation in an informal setting to indicate emotion???

Get a grip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grin

NumTumDeDum Mon 22-Apr-13 12:45:46

What about the following usage:

What?!

WRT to multiple question marks for some reason it always makes me think of the sentence in an Australian question intonation. I could possibly phrase that better but I've had two hours sleep. So there.

nenevomito Mon 22-Apr-13 13:04:34

I'm all for using ! to express emotion, but when it's because someone seems incapable of using a full stop, it looks silly.

I saw something amazing today! OK

I saw something amazing today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <cries>

I did something not very interesting today. < - - - See the full stop works just fine.

nenevomito Mon 22-Apr-13 13:06:42

I wouldn't say they're necessarily thick. Maybe just a bit over excited?

CuntAlors Mon 22-Apr-13 13:13:29

I've had to hide people from my FB feed for this.

"Just walked the dogs in the rain!!!!!!!! Lol"

Why? Just why?

I know someone on facebook who uses question marks INSTEAD of exclamation marks. Like this;

'Had a lovely day with the kids????? They're my world?????? xxxx'

GAH.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Mon 22-Apr-13 13:17:05

THAT'S JUST TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! AND TO MAKE MY POINT IM GOING TO SHOUT!!!!!!! ALOT????????

Samu2 Mon 22-Apr-13 13:17:52

I abuse them often!!!!

And the worse thing is, I do actually use four of them often blush

Samu2 Mon 22-Apr-13 13:19:19

I am not fick, I just like them!!

Used two to tone it down a bit ;)

WhitesandsofLuskentyre Mon 22-Apr-13 13:46:16

I translate/revise from a couple of European languages that sprinkle them all over the shop. I inwardly weep when I'm revising a text where the translator has decided it's a good idea to adopt the same usage in English. (See also multiple question marks.)

FuckThisShit Mon 22-Apr-13 14:00:15

The exclamation and question marks in their masses do rather annoy me in an irrational way, so YADNBU.

I would also like to add ect that seems to be littered all over the place. It's ETC FFS, as in an abbreviation for ETCetera. I have seen it on so many threads over the past weekend.

Which leads me nicely on to past and passed.

I walked PAST the tree. Or I passed by the tree. NOT I walked passed the fucking tree.

Get it right please.

Startail Mon 22-Apr-13 14:06:17

I like ?!? or !?!

Since you can't alway write WTF! or what planet are they on?

MyDarlingClementine Mon 22-Apr-13 14:14:39

You are being OTT!

nenevomito Mon 22-Apr-13 14:17:53

I can bare (just about) the occasional ?!?

e.g. You did what?!? is perfectly acceptable when someone tells you they've just done a sponsored armpit licking event or something.

People who use ? instead of ! want a kick in the shins.

People who use ????? instead of ! and follow it up with lol have their own special place in hell.

Buzzardbird Mon 22-Apr-13 14:20:44

Could not agree more, attention seeking twots!

Tee2072 Mon 22-Apr-13 14:26:08

OMG! How can you not like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nenevomito Mon 22-Apr-13 15:11:09

<loads gun>

cumfy Mon 22-Apr-13 15:14:11

shockangrysad wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now