to ask my neighour not to let its dog pee on my lawn?

(36 Posts)
plum100 Mon 22-Apr-13 10:21:13

Just that really - she lives a few doors down and walks past out house each day to walk the dog to the park. Its not on a lead - its very slow and doddery - maybe its old - but 9/10 times it stops and pees on our front lawn - there is no fence. I have 3 kids who play outside.

My first reaction is to say ' hey , can you please not let your dog piss on my grass' I don't think its nice as its my kids like to play out there - if I wanted a dog to pee on my grass then I would get a dog. I also thinks it pretty damn rude - when I take my sisters dog out (on a lead!!!!!) I dont even let it walk on others peoples grass, let alone empty its bladder on it.

But opinion seems divided - others say its only pee - you probably sit on worse at the local park, and that there is more stuff in lfe to worry about - which is true but it still pisses me off (sorry!) . I just think its rude. What do you think - should I ask her nicely tonight when they go past ?

VivaLeBeaver Mon 22-Apr-13 11:56:16

I don't let my dog do this and if it did I'd expect someone to tell me to not do it again if they saw me!

MiaowTheCat Mon 22-Apr-13 12:47:19

I'd get really (sorry) pissed off about it to be honest. Not so much the sitting in dog piddle angle - like you said - you probably sit in dog, fox, squirrel ANY bunny piddle on the grass in your local park... but because dog pee can wreck the crap out of your lawn. While my own dogs have permission to make my lawn a charred wasteland of once-green grass... I'd be mad if anyone else's dogs were joining in! (Not that they can since our lawn's at the back of the house)

One of mine is a compulsive leg cocker/peemail checker - I walk him on the outside of the pavement so he hasn't got garden walls etc to lift his leg to.

I also bloody well HATE (and we've got a lot of them locally) the no-lead on the pavement alongside a road brigade... plus the on a lead but it's a flexi I've never learnt how to lock so basically no bloody lead if they see a cat the other side of the road brigade too.

MoaneyMcmoanmoan Tue 23-Apr-13 01:40:17

Miaow I am one of the brigade who piss you off.
My dog is trained to walk alongside me. Yes, off the lead. I don't know why this bothers people.
In seven years, she has never, ever run off or chased a cat (scared of them).
Is it because of the perceived danger? Genuine question.

Also, back on topic, I truly had no idea that a dog cocking its leg on someone's property was so irritating. I wouldn't give it a second thought, so this thread has been enlightening for me.
ponders how to now get aged Moaney dog to stop doing it

i've never let mine do it in random gardens we're passing, but it wouldn't bother me if a dog did it in mine.

we have a railing-type fence up, but smaller dogs (yorkies etc) just step through the gaps & piddle, and bigger dogs just jump the fence. grin

i don't let my DC's in the garden though, due to the fox family who live in the back garden, & use the front as the cubs playground. grin

fluffyraggies Tue 23-Apr-13 08:03:26

The law about dogs on a lead on a public highway is there to prevent the many hazards and nuisances an out of control dog could create. Saying 'mine is well behaved so we don't need a law' is a little narrow minded, surely?

OP, if i were you i'd be putting up a little low rope fence, just to mark the fact that your lawn isn't part of the public right of way. Literally a foot high, or so.

If that didn't work i'd add a sign.

If that didn't work i'd be down the path to have a word.

MoaneyMcmoanmoan Tue 23-Apr-13 08:24:31

Narrow minded because I walk my dog off the lead? grin

SoupDragon Tue 23-Apr-13 08:27:34

Narrow minded because you feel the law doesn't apply to you, i imagine.

trice Tue 23-Apr-13 08:33:08

It would annoy me. I would have a word.

TwllBach Tue 23-Apr-13 08:49:08

It would annoy me and I have a dog. I don't let mine walk on other people's lawns though, because I would also find that a bit rude.

MiaowTheCat Tue 23-Apr-13 09:35:56

Why does the dogs not on lead thing bother me? Because we had a very nasty near miss when someone's "oooh my dog always walks beside me" dog had a moment and bolted across into the road in front of the car I was a passenger in, with my very very newborn baby in. Thankfully hubby was on the ball and managed to avoid it - guys coming the opposite direction weren't quite as lucky and it led to a rear-end shunt on the opposite side of the road.

Dog owner didn't give a shit - his dog was ok so that was all that mattered.

You can't 100% predict how a dog, however well-trained, is going to react - it's fucking careless inconsiderate behaviour and it drives me up the fucking wall the people who do it here. The local dog wardens regularly have words with people (they hang around in the park most of the "don't own a lead" brigade are heading to and catch them on the way in... or the "don't own a collar" brigade actually inside the park).

plum100 Wed 24-Apr-13 21:13:46

Oh good I am glad it not just me then - think I will have a word tomorrow then. Thanks everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now