Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that plaits are just for school girls

(97 Posts)
tulippa Mon 22-Apr-13 09:27:58

Last night while my DH was plaiting my DD's hair he suggested that I would look good with plaits, he even "joked" that it would add a third hairstyle to my repertoire. After he finished with my DD he asked me to sit on the chair in front of him so he could do my hair, I made up some excuse and left the room. The truth is I was really uncomfortable with his suggestion, AIBU but in my head schoolgirls are the only people who should be allowed to plait their hair. Should I be worried, is this the kind of thing he's attracted to? What's next, will he be asking me to get my old school uniform out (which I luckily threw away when I left school)?

hairtearing Mon 22-Apr-13 10:31:39

Fishtail plaits look v. stylish i like plaits

hairtearing Mon 22-Apr-13 10:32:12

However i think few adult women can pull it off.

Remotecontrolduck Mon 22-Apr-13 10:32:38

This looks lovely I think, not little girl-ish whatsoever....

Bit of a jump to think he's into kids because he likes plaits confused

noddyholder Mon 22-Apr-13 10:33:17

My dp loves plaits I have never thought about any more than that!

Operafan Mon 22-Apr-13 10:34:15

I think it either suits you or it doesnt.

In the 80s when I was clubbing lots of people wore plaits, I always wanted them and to look funky and boho - unfortunately they just make me look like a mad cat woman.

I always wanted to do the plait round your head thing...that seriously doesnt work with my face either.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Mon 22-Apr-13 10:39:02

Actually OP, I personally can see where you're coming from with this. My ex suggested the same. Had it been a style I wore when I first met him and he had said he liked it that way and would prefer me to where it like that more then I wouldn't have been phased. However, it's not a style I ever wore so I was a little hmm at his request. It seemed such an odd request at the time. Soon after he starting the 'dressing up' requests and yes, it was that of a school girl. Not my thing to be honest. We didn't stay together for long after that!

SkinnyLove Mon 22-Apr-13 10:39:13

It looks slightly ridiculous but not early as stupid as thinking yer man's a perv for plaiting your hair....thats just....nuts!!!

HubbaHubbaHubbaInHoobLand Mon 22-Apr-13 10:42:17

Plaits can look nice on adults too. especially the fishtail plait. I think you are being a bit paranoid to jump to that conclusion

MeSoFunny Mon 22-Apr-13 10:42:50

I'm sitting here with two plaits in my 39yr old greying hair right now. Deal with it.

SamraLee Mon 22-Apr-13 10:49:09

I wear my hair in pigtail braids/plaits low down under my ears, everyday. I always never knew I was so out of fashion. I also didn't know my husband was one of those types because he thinks they look nice. My whole life is a lie...

tulippa Mon 22-Apr-13 10:54:30

Just read back what i originally write and can see how it looked to some people. Let me just clarify one thing, I don't think my husband is into kids. My worry was that he would want me to dress up for him, and that is what I'm uncomfortable with, especially as my school uniform involved an ankle length kilt which used to itch like mad. I'm sorry for any confusion, as I said before I trust my DH, this post was about me being a bit of a hair prude and not about my lovely husband.

M0naLisa Mon 22-Apr-13 11:06:32

I sometimes put my hair in a plait round the back of my head. Mainly when it's wet

I'm always changing my hair and today it's in a messy low plait. I definitely do not look like a schoolgirl.

miemohrs Mon 22-Apr-13 11:16:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EmpressMaud Mon 22-Apr-13 11:18:56

Plaits suit some people very well, at any age.

KatyTheCleaningLady Mon 22-Apr-13 11:22:18

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with the hair style, and it sounds like your dh was pretty cool about the suggestion, but I do understand that sometimes some men can make their partners uncomfortable with requests for looking girlish. I know women who have been uncomfortable with requests for shaving their public hair off. The problem is usually that the guy gets whiney and won't drop the subject when the woman says no.

So, if the man doesn't respect "No, I don't like that look" and keeps pestering, then I would feel hmm about it. But, there's nothing wrong with the suggestion.

marciaoverstrand Mon 22-Apr-13 11:23:01

Good enough for Snoop Dog

Jux Mon 22-Apr-13 11:27:47

Standard practice in older girls/women at one time.

I have friends with waist-length or even longer hair, whose normal style is one very long plait down their backs. Then there are variations. Twist the plait into a bun, one plait over the shoulder etc.

WorraLiberty Mon 22-Apr-13 11:30:21

If you wore an ankle length kilt to school, I'm quite sure you'll be safe from any dressing up requests grin

FreedomOfTheTess Mon 22-Apr-13 11:31:19

YABU - I wear my hear in plaits a lot - God forbid I even have plaited pigtails (a la Heidi) sometimes.

It's just a hairstyle.

Thewhingingdefective Mon 22-Apr-13 11:55:27

Look on Pinterest - there are loads of great plaits. I just wish I hadn't had all my hair lopped off. By the time it's grown again plaits will be back out of fashion.

gordyslovesheep Tue 23-Apr-13 09:43:53

We can all have plaits now because we all have dragon s grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now