To think that plaits are just for school girls

(97 Posts)
tulippa Mon 22-Apr-13 09:27:58

Last night while my DH was plaiting my DD's hair he suggested that I would look good with plaits, he even "joked" that it would add a third hairstyle to my repertoire. After he finished with my DD he asked me to sit on the chair in front of him so he could do my hair, I made up some excuse and left the room. The truth is I was really uncomfortable with his suggestion, AIBU but in my head schoolgirls are the only people who should be allowed to plait their hair. Should I be worried, is this the kind of thing he's attracted to? What's next, will he be asking me to get my old school uniform out (which I luckily threw away when I left school)?

LadyMountbatten Mon 22-Apr-13 09:38:46

they LOVE audrey hepburn and overuse that stupid Eleanor Roosevelt quote on facebook where they post pictures of their kids merit cards

WorraLiberty Mon 22-Apr-13 09:38:57

<< Snort >> grin

Trillz Mon 22-Apr-13 09:39:25

YABU to say that all hairdos involving plaits are for children.

YANBU to say that splitting all of your hair into two plaits is often associated with "dressing up as a schoolgirl".

Stylist magazine had a feature on adding small plaits to your hairstyle last week.

LippyDiDooDah Mon 22-Apr-13 09:40:42

I sometimes wear my hair in plaits and I'm late 30s. Believe me, I'm not the only one either.

Don't make such a big deal from a throwaway comment.

mrsjay Mon 22-Apr-13 09:40:42

let it al out lady dont hold back now grin

LadyMountbatten Mon 22-Apr-13 09:41:11

in ANY MINUTE someone will come and say " ooh you dont sound veyr nice at all" as if being NICE is good wink

mrsjay Mon 22-Apr-13 09:41:47

you made me smile with your ranting ladyM grin

tackytiger Mon 22-Apr-13 09:42:07

They always claim that Marilyn Monroe was a size 16...

LadyMountbatten Mon 22-Apr-13 09:42:13

plus they have silly crystal charms on their key ring

tulippa Mon 22-Apr-13 09:42:16

Thank you for your quick responses. Feeling truly prudish now blush.

I like plaits. I often have a side plait or a french plait. I also have coiled plaits quite often. MIL has a plait to her arse which she's worn that way since she was 19, neither of us look like schoolgirls. YABU.

AutumnMadness Mon 22-Apr-13 09:43:44

I am a very grown up and mature woman. I wear my hair in plaits (I use 3-4 different styles depending on how much time I have). I don't think it looks school-girlish at all. I have long hair and wearing it loose is a bit undignified at my age in professional circumstances (but I do occasionally on nights out). The plaits, on the other hand, keep it all in nice and neat.

mrsjay Mon 22-Apr-13 09:43:51

<arf> Crystal charms , you have described one of my closest friends she is so girly and cupcakey

ScumbagCollegeDropout Mon 22-Apr-13 09:44:37

YABU

If I didn't have a sidecut I would have my hair in plaits or low pigtails more often.

Nowt wrong with them at any age. It's just hair!

My DD is 27 and has unruly hair, she plaits it almost every day for work, it is practical. You will find that many women with long hair who work with groups who are prone to head lice etc plait their hair for work.
it must vary regionally, as I see many women with plaits of all ages and it was always a practical hairstyle for anyone who has sporty hobbies.

My DD is 27 and has unruly hair, she plaits it almost every day for work, it is practical. You will find that many women with long hair who work with groups who are prone to head lice etc plait their hair for work.
it must vary regionally, as I see many women with plaits of all ages and it was always a practical hairstyle for anyone who has sporty hobbies.

LadyMountbatten Mon 22-Apr-13 09:46:26

( plus, tbh what did Eleanor Roosevelt know about being inferior as the Presidents wife? )

imour Mon 22-Apr-13 09:46:39

plaits look nice on infant school girls , one plait or plait across the front can look nice on anyone any age ,dutch women have plaits , think this is more your problem , over thinking things .

noddyholder Mon 22-Apr-13 09:47:04

I sometimes plait a thing strip across the front when I wear a chignon so there and am 47 shock

Gingersstuff Mon 22-Apr-13 09:47:05

I am 43 and I love plaits. I've got long, wavy copper hair and it's a great way of keeping it under control and interesting.
And I'm very happy that Game of Thrones is back on because the plaits on the female characters are fooking AWESOME. And none of them are schoolgirls.

specialsubject Mon 22-Apr-13 09:47:09

wow, the 'everyone's sexually attracted to children' thing is really getting out of control here...do get a grip.

the only hairstyle that is only for children and teens trying to be 'cute and bubbly' is bunches.

ShadowStorm Mon 22-Apr-13 09:48:01

YABU. There's plenty of hairstyles with plaits that don't look school girly.

LadyMountbatten Mon 22-Apr-13 09:48:47

its the way that women want to look CUTE with it.
yeah yeah practical schmactical, we know your game grin

fieldfare Mon 22-Apr-13 09:49:06

I work with small children and have hair down to the small of my back, it just gets in the way or they pull it or it ends up covered in glitter and glue. It normally ends up in a slightly messy side french plait, it's just so much easier.

gordyslovesheep Mon 22-Apr-13 09:49:38

ooh im CRAZEEE about cupcakes fuck off with your kitten wearing a crown make up bag

hahaha morning coffee all over keyboard

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now