Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think you are a very silly person indeed (or a teenager) if you have 900+ facebook friends?

(53 Posts)
MintyyAeroEgg Sun 21-Apr-13 22:40:02

?

peppersaunt Mon 22-Apr-13 17:48:13

BIL has 5000 "Friends" but all from online gaming!

ChocolateCakePlease Mon 22-Apr-13 16:19:16

Also i notice about those who have 500 friends that usually the same 10 people will 'like' or comment on their statuses. How often do you see "1000" friends on their list and also "800" likes on their status? I have never seen this.

ChocolateCakePlease Mon 22-Apr-13 16:14:31

I went to an internet safety talk a few weeks ago and it does open up your eyes alot, especially about FB. Someone said just because you were in Primary school with someone 20 years ago and they were a sweet boy/girl back then doesn't mean they are so innocent or sweet now. So someone may think they have lots of lovely old school friends on there but actually they don't know anything about that person now as a grown up and don't know who they have viewing all their imformation.

My sil works in the police control room and the stories she tells about FB is scary. One woman used to innocently write on her FB statuses that she was "off down the pub tonight" regularly and one night had her house robbed. The crimanal who robbed her house turned out to be a guy she knew at school, hadn't had any contact except "friending" him on FB since they were 15 and he had gathered aload of information about her from FB and took a chance when he saw she had wrote she was "on a big night out tonight down town." My sil said it's was silly when they learned the person who had robbed her house was a actually a "friend" on FB.

I have 31 friends on FB and i see them regually in person. I won't add old school friends because they are strangers now and if they meant that much i wouldn't not have seen them since i left school.

BIWI Mon 22-Apr-13 16:06:00

Linked in is definitely for professional networking, although the extent to which you can succeed with that I'm not sure - although I think that mainly reflects my own lack of understanding of how to get the most out of it.

Facebook is, in my view, purely for my personal social networking. Having said that, I have ended up with a couple of clients as 'friends', so I'm always mindful that I am networking with them to a degree. I'd prefer to keep the two separate really, but when I made a Facebook page for my company I inadvertently linked it to my personal page, hence how they came to be 'my' friends!

Spero Mon 22-Apr-13 15:48:42

LinkedIn is just bizarre - I am currently being 'endorsed' by people I have never met for skills I don't have. I don't think I would ever seriously network via linkedIn but I have a profile as you are 'expected" to have on line presence and at least business contacts can get keep over view of my CV.

But of my Facebook 'friends' I have a local community centre, a local artists collective, etc, etc. it's an easy way to keep in touch with people/activities that interest you. I don't claim that the community centre is my 'friend" or expect it to comment on my pictures or witty insightful status updates. Only about 5 people ever do that.

MintyyAeroEgg Mon 22-Apr-13 14:35:44

I thought people used Linked In for business/networking?

I have the grand total of 49 fb friends and I know all of them. But I am of a generation that is so old that most of my actual close rl living breathing friends don't bother with facebook at all.

Spero Mon 22-Apr-13 14:13:12

No, it all depends. If you have more than a few hundred and claim they are all dear close friends then I suspect you are a bit deluded but I don't know many people who use Facebook just for 'real friends' anymore. I try to keep it only to people I interact with in real life but suspect I am in a minority now.

People have all sorts of diverse business/personal/networking motivations and what on earth is wrong with that?

I am always fascinated why people hold up Facebook as a symbol of what is wrong with people, society etc. it's a social networking tool, use it or don't. I don't think it says anything profound or interesting about your moral character or lack thereof.

bubblesinthesky Mon 22-Apr-13 13:53:59

DP has over 3500!! I assure you he is neither stupid nor a teenager. He does however have the type of job which ensures people want to be his friend grin

YABU

I'm neither a teen nor a silly person, but have 3,000+ friends on facebook. Of that number, there are about 100 family & friends.

I am heavily involved in group counselling and recovery groups for various things and use private group pages on fb to maintain contact, dialogue and offer support.

samandi Mon 22-Apr-13 12:32:56

I think that people with hundreds of Facebook friends have a tendency to care more about getting their own opinions, experiences etc. across to as wide an audience as possible, rather than being mutually interested in other people. I suppose it works from a networking point of view. But it simply isn't possible to follow hundreds and hundreds or thousands of people, unless you're on Facebook constantly all day. I'm interested in all of the people on my Facebook and wouldn't want to include more people just to bump up the numbers, as then I might miss things my actual friends post. If that makes sense.

mrsjay Mon 22-Apr-13 08:53:23

some of dds friends have thousands of friends I find that a wee but worrying especially with dd2 as they are all teenagers they must add whoever , It is seen as a bragging thing at school how many 'friends' you have on facebook confused

Or a gamer, the more people I have to tend my farms the better.

Or a gamer, the more people I have to tend my farms the better.

notquitenormal Mon 22-Apr-13 07:23:07

My sister has about a thousand friends. She's a tattoo artist and uses it as a marketing tool. Most of her updates are work she has done, designs that need a home home, connections she'll be at and free appointments. It as very effective networking tool for some people.

For me, in corporate job, linkdin is more appropriate, so I have 60 Facebook friends.

everlong Mon 22-Apr-13 07:15:07

110 fb friends and know 69 in RL.

ObiWankenYoni Mon 22-Apr-13 07:03:43

I'll bet that most of the 1000s of friends, are added from games they are playing. So they can help each other with lives and such sort.

I have 163, and know each and every one personally.

exoticfruits Mon 22-Apr-13 06:45:00

I think that some of those with 700+ can be just as much loners, rainbows, the number if friends on FB is no indication.

exoticfruits Mon 22-Apr-13 06:42:52

I have 50 something but most of my friends don't do FB, and of those 50+ at least half are just there as a name and are rarely on.

rainbowslollipops Mon 22-Apr-13 06:40:21

Oh shoot. I'm a real loner. I only have about 87 friends on there. sad but I think it does depend on what you've done with your life to get all those people on there.

exoticfruits Mon 22-Apr-13 06:40:14

It doesn't bother me if they have hundreds- If that is what they want.

exoticfruits Mon 22-Apr-13 06:39:17

I think it pointless if you are having to have lists and restrict what people see, you might as well get rid if the ones who don't see much and the ones you don't want to know about.

Mimishimi Mon 22-Apr-13 02:11:27

yABU, because in the event of a police state, it would be much harder for authorities to track down your real ones grin. Those who are scrupulous about only allowing real-life friends would suffer more.

Naysa Mon 22-Apr-13 02:05:27

I think it depends on who you are. If you have 900+ friends just because you aren't choosy about your friend list, but you are choosy and aware of what you are telling the world about yourself and your personal life then it's not as bad as having 20 FB friends and informing them of when you start your period or what your diacharge is like.

I think it's more about what you tell people rather than who you're telling it to IYSWIM

MammaTJ Mon 22-Apr-13 01:31:15

I 'only' have 748, so I'm ok then!! grin

MagratOfStolat Mon 22-Apr-13 00:54:47

I have 200 (approx.) however, if you look closely enough, I actually only have around 95. The remaining lot are people I have added and then put on to a restrictive listing so that they can't see any of my updates, but are still allowed to receive my game requests. Farmville Forever!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now