Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think the law should be able to do more about this dog??

(305 Posts)
curiousgeorgie Sun 21-Apr-13 21:35:30

Walking in the park today with my DH, 2.5 year old DD & dog, and DD walking in front of us (a very late walker, so very slow and can't run yet), suddenly a mastiff (we think) runs from the trees straight to DD and before we can get there literally steps away, my dog is between them.

It was so so quick but this dog was going for my child, and subsequently absolutely savaged my dog, I grabbed DD, was screaming for the owner and DH was trying to separate this dog from our dog (who is a small friendly breed and was pinned down, yelping, it was awful.)

The owners appeared and pulled the dog off after a few horrible minutes, and argued with us that the dog wasn't dangerous, and the woman got completely in my face and threatened me (while 30 weeks pregnant holding my sobbing DD) so we quickly left.

I called the local police from the car and was told there wasn't anything they can do about the dog as it didn't attack a human. (thank god though.)

But the fact remains, that a dangerous dog is allowed to remain in the park on a sunny weekend day where surely there'll be lots of children??

I'm so so angry and upset about this, my DD is really not herself and my poor dog left with bite injuries to his mouth, ears, face and neck.

Just because this dog didn't quite manage to bite my DD nothing can be done?? AIBU?

MidniteScribbler Sun 28-Apr-13 23:18:48

Midnitescribbler what country do you live in? Sounds like similar regulations to what YNK has described. If she also lives somewhere where dog areas are quite restricted, that might explain why she is struggling to understand the other points of view on here (even though several people have mentioned that most dogs are not restricted in public areas in the UK).

I'm in Australia, so obviously very different laws, but it shouldn't matter where someone is. Common sense should be universal!

I don't agree with what YNK is saying (and this is as someone who has five dogs), but I do roll my eyes when people pick the off lead area to have their picnic at our local park. Five acres of on lead area with picnic tables, playgrounds, lakes, shelters, BBQs, etc, but they want to eat in the 500 square metres of fenced off lead dog area, then get upset when dogs start circling their sandwiches. Common sense fail.

Use some common sense. Don't let your dog run up to people. Don't let your children run up to dogs. We'll all get along perfectly then.

Misspixietrix Sun 28-Apr-13 23:08:44

*Its is a dog owners responsibility to STOP its dog from running up to a child, or even an adult, I hate dogs running up to me and I dont care how 'soft' they are,

I dont hate dogs..I hate irresponsible dog owners*

^^This! what Yoniravers said!

OP YDNBU, Hope you, DD and your dog are okay now ~

Yuck! Hate it when the PILs dog licks me, I've pushed him off my knee so many times he appears to have got the message. If I see him lick my DD I would probably go bat shit crazy. They lick their bums to clean them, never let a dog lick you. (shudder)

SolomanDaisy Sun 28-Apr-13 21:41:33

An unleashed dog came over and licked my toddler DS's face this week. He was sitting picking daisies virtually underneath a 'dog's must be leashed' sign and 100 metres away from the specially fenced off area for dogs to run free. Doubtless YNK believes DS and I were to blame for this.

DameFanny Sun 28-Apr-13 21:30:53

Btw, I'm assuming that ynk stands for 'you never know'. Perhaps ynl or ynu would be more appropriate?

DameFanny Sun 28-Apr-13 21:29:05

Ynk - you do know that dog ownership is a privilege, not a right don't you?

And that in return for the privilege you have a responsibility to ensure your dog is not a public nuisance?

And that public nuisance encompasses things such as not fouling or frightening, as well as not attacking other creatures? And not discouraging other people from enjoying the public spaces we've all paid our taxes for?

Wallison Sun 28-Apr-13 20:59:57

Thing is, a shared area is just that - a shared area. Ie not a dog area. And the needs of humans - whether they be to do with eating a sandwich in peace or just to be able to walk around - take priority over those of animals. Tbh if you have the kind of 'dogs come first' mentality irl that you have displayed on this thread, then I'm not surprised people shout at you. If your dog is bothering people trying to have a picnic, for eg, and you counter their objections to this with a statement that your dog is allowed to be there, then of course they are going to get cross. It might be allowed to be there, but it doesn't mean that it should disrupt what other people are doing and you as a dog owner are responsible for it, whatever type of area you are in.

YNK Sun 28-Apr-13 13:24:57

Yes I do live in an area like this, where shared areas are few and far between. Yet still parents make a big issue of coming to the only shared area for miles around to shout at dog owners.
They only seem to come out on sunny days though. Otherwise dog owners and children get on fine the rest of the year. There are some lovely children who encourage my dog to play hide and seek with them and it is so nice when everyone gets on well.
BTW I live in a small town in Northern England and I am well acquainted with the law and local bylaws. I usually refer aggressive parents to also check out the law!

Midnitescribbler what country do you live in? Sounds like similar regulations to what YNK has described. If she also lives somewhere where dog areas are quite restricted, that might explain why she is struggling to understand the other points of view on here (even though several people have mentioned that most dogs are not restricted in public areas in the UK).

Forgetfulmog Sun 28-Apr-13 05:25:24

Right got about 2/3 of the way through this thread before ynks comments started to make me seethe. Where I live the parks all have notices saying that dogs should be kept on leads, but the dog owners just ignore them. So, where am I supposed to take my dd???

MidniteScribbler Sun 28-Apr-13 05:13:23

They are shared spaces. That is, they are to be shared by all park users. Where I live, most parks are like this; apart from small playground areas. Where on earth do you live that there are large, grassed areas where dogs are forbidden or must be kept on the lead? Where is my toddler supposed to kick a ball or go for a decent walk or play a game of chase, if irresponsible dog owners have priority in that space, by your warped logic?

Here, dogs must be on lead at all times, unless in a designated off lead dog park (usually fully fenced in), although there are some larger park areas and beaches also accessible to dog owners to allow their dogs off lead. I think it works well. There is also provision in the law for dogs participating in certain canine events (such as agility and obedience, herding or field trials) for the club to determine when dogs may or may not be off lead within the precincts of the trial without breaking the law.

ProphetOfDoom Sun 28-Apr-13 01:09:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Restored my faith/sanity a bit there. Thanks, Kansas.

i actually stood by someone with an unleashed but muzzled large dog this week, i asked why they'd chosen to muzzle (i used to have a greyhound we muzzled because of his habit of cat chasing, so use that as an opener when being nosy)

He told me that he trusted his dog implicitly, he was well trained, perfect recall...etc, but there were so many arseholes out there who didnt control their pets, he didnt want to be responsible for his dog ripping theirs to bits if one decided to attack him, and even the best trained dog in the world can be unpredictable in the wrong circumstances.. he didnt feel it was worth the risk.

I am torn between wanting to know what YNK will say, & wanting to hide this conversation as it's massively getting on my nerves.

OP - YANBU. You & your dog & child should be able to walk in the park in peace. So should other people, including those who own big scary looking dogs, without having to worry that they are going to witness any unpleasant incidents such as you described, no matter who starts them.

I feel sorry for the dogs as well - if they are badly trained they are surely more likely to get aggressive & out of control. It's not the dog's fault it's undisciplined & has to be put down when it attacks someone. The owner should be in control of it at all times, if they can't do this they shouldn't be allowed a dog in the first place.

YNK, what is so hard about just telling us which post? Just give us the date/time stamp so we can go and read it.

Your persistant refusal to refer us back to it just makes it look like you're stirring.

BMW6 Sat 27-Apr-13 21:43:40

There is never anything to be gained by arguing with the insane. YNK is of that ilk, so walk on by.

It's no wonder people get all aerated about dogs and want muzzles/total eradication when there are owners who act and talk like you, YNK.

You do us all a disservice.

maddening Sat 27-Apr-13 19:13:31

No one is being aggressive, no one is suggesting that you are advocating out of control dogs - but what you are doing is suggesting that it is anyone but the dog owner's responsibility for preventing dog attacks by simply avoiding them - which is not the case in what everyone describes as reality.

It is always the dog owner's responsibility to maintain control of their own dogs especially in public wherever they are. Anything but complete control is unacceptable.

YNK Sat 27-Apr-13 18:51:32

Thanks to all of you who illustrate my point about people being aggressive to dog owners!

pippitysqueakity Sat 27-Apr-13 18:13:18

Sorry, that was to YNK.

pippitysqueakity Sat 27-Apr-13 18:12:37

Okay, I have read and reread your posts.

Perhaps since we are all so thick and unable to understand, maybe you could repeat how you would protect your GC in the circumstance described.
Thank you in advance.

YNK Sat 27-Apr-13 16:21:59

Of course, I am advocating that dogs should be out of control and trained to attack.....pffft!

trixymalixy Sat 27-Apr-13 11:37:59

Absolutely appalling attitude YNK. It's people like you that make me think that dogs should be kept on a lead at ALL times.

maddening Sat 27-Apr-13 11:13:19

Ynk you are coming across as a dog attack apologist!

Any time a dog attacks something or someone then it and it's owner are in the wrong not the thing or person who happened to be there.

Anyone who can not control their dogs should not have them in a public place unleashed and possibly unmuzzled (particularly if the breed is large and physically able to overpower it's owner).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now