People taking ridiculous risks with their dc in supermarket trolleys

(212 Posts)
wherewasi Sun 21-Apr-13 16:30:20

Just done the supermarket run, as always I find I have to avert my eyes and bite my tongue at the sight of so many tiny children standing up in the trolley while it's being pushed round the shop or hanging off the side.

I have seen so many accidents where the trolley gets shunted and the child falls over/off and hurts themselves - bangs their head, bites their tongue, scrapes themselves on the metal. Why do parents do this? Presumably they take the normal precautions in other areas - car seats, road safety awareness, advising dc to take care in the playground or running round the house?

Even saw a really tiny one today slumped in one of the shallow trolleys with his head lolling over the edge, just at the right level to bang it on a shelf.

AIBU or OTT to cringe about this?

mylittlephoney Tue 03-Jan-17 23:10:44

It rather that they be contained that let loose in the aisles in fucking healies (or however they're fucking called) been knocked over twice by chav kids left to their own devices in the local shop. Mine will lol about in them if he's hit then It's his own fault. They learn that way. He has sn btw and refuses to walk the hallowed halls of tescos.

northernlites Tue 03-Jan-17 23:02:12

The thing I find most rude is when children are hanging off other people's trollies and trying to clamber in them. It's just plain irresponsible as well as ruining my rice cakes

BumDNC Tue 03-Jan-17 12:46:43

I hate seeing kids dangerously in trolleys. Not just sitting or standing still but climbing over in and out of it. It's a large metal object that moves. It's not really very safe

Sugarlightly Tue 03-Jan-17 12:45:55

I used to work in a supermarket and have seen a child crack their head open falling out of a trolley - he stood up as I was asking the mum to take him out of it, she turned around and nudged the trolley and he fell straight out. Have seen at least 5 more of these (not as serious - no cracked heads but bruises and bumps) in both shallow and deep trolleys from standing, climbing and sitting in trolleys.

Troubleinstore Tue 03-Jan-17 12:40:42

I hate to see kids standing in trollies purely for the fact that their dirty shoes are gonna be where I put my groceries. It's grim.
If they hurt themselves it's the parents fault for putting them in it, they are designed for shopping not children. (Rant over)

gandalf456 Tue 03-Jan-17 12:22:38

The thing I don't like is children hanging off trolleys. If it were mine, I would not be ablessed to push it properly. I just find it annoying on the parents' behalfwink

lozzylizzy Tue 03-Jan-17 12:19:51

Mine lies belly down on the under trolley bottle rack in Aldi.............

TinklyLittleLaugh Tue 03-Jan-17 12:17:30

All those people saying they don't put their kid in the trolley seat because they arch their back and don't like it, do you not put them in a car seat either? Just how massive are these toddlers you are physically unable to cram into a trolley seat?

It's lazy, anything for a quiet life, parenting in my view, it's on the same continuum as letting them run around in restaurants and not holding on to them near roads.

user1470997562 Tue 03-Jan-17 11:22:22

I saw a women tip a big trolley to the side whilst in the carpark (I guess she clipped a curb), turfing out a toddler from height onto the tarmac. It happens and it's so easily preventable.

NathanBarleyrocks Tue 03-Jan-17 11:20:26

People let their child STAND in a shopping trolley? I've never seen this. Who would let their child do that?

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Tue 03-Jan-17 11:13:15

The only accident I've ever seen is my own son going arse over tit out of one of those shallow trollies blush. Totally mine and DHs fault (although DH seemingly believes he was strapped into a seat hmm) and resulted in a split open head and surgery to repair the wound.

3luckystars Tue 03-Jan-17 10:01:10

I 100% agree with you. What's the big deal, there is good stuff in old threads.

GilMartin Tue 03-Jan-17 04:20:23

Why do people get their knickers in a twist over zombie threads being re-activated?

If it was something current affairs-related or the op had posted 'I need a costume idea for a fancy dress party tomorrow' then I could understand it.

As far as I know, and admittedly I am no great expert on the matter, children still stand up in trolleys! So, if people still want to talk about the topic (and people seemingly still do) is there any need for people to screech 'zombie, zombie' as if someone had run into the room with a bottle of anthrax, rather than posting on a thread that has been inactive for a bit.

3luckystars Tue 03-Jan-17 03:50:44

A friend from work got a terrible fright with his child in a trolley. He had her in the trolley seat thing and was putting the shopping into the boot of the car, when the trolley slipped from the kerb thing and toppled over onto the ground. he said only by pure luck she avoided slamming full force on to the side of her head. He read about it afterwards and children have gotten fairly bad head injuries from this type of accident.

It didn't even occur to me that this could happen so I am more careful now going up and down kerbs and bumps with the trolley.

kmc1111 Tue 03-Jan-17 03:06:05

When I worked in a supermarket I saw 3 kids crack their skulls open after toppling out headfirst, one kid who broke his leg in a really nasty way (bone jutting out, leg twisted round the wrong way) and 10+ who broke or fractured an arm/wrist. Also a very small toddler who got a concussion after losing his balance and falling backwards in the trolley. Almost everyday a trolly would tip a kid out and fall on them and there'd be tears and cuts and bruises.

Now when I shop I notice many supermarkets are constantly interrupting the music to play a warning about children in trolly's. The fact that it's such a liability risk for the supermarket that they feel the need to broadcast it like that should tell people how dangerous it is.

OopsDearyMe Tue 03-Jan-17 02:25:11

Why standing? Why can't they sit? Mine do!

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Tue 03-Jan-17 00:36:07

Pisses me off more ZOMBIE threads

DailyFail1 Tue 03-Jan-17 00:31:45

I only see kids too fat/old for the seat actually sit in the bed of the trolley itself. I think in that case parents prob just want to do some shopping in peace and not run the risk of child running off/misbehaving etc.

missm0use Tue 03-Jan-17 00:15:00

I ALWAYS let my DD trolley surf unless I am using her pushchair / pram.
The trolleys at our local supermarket have broken seats so when I try to put DD in them they just close over and squash her or they have no 'seat belt' and she ends up standing on the seat. In these circumstances it is safer for my DD to trolley surf than to sit in the seat.

sailorcherries Mon 02-Jan-17 22:35:18

My DS doesn't stand in the trolley, instead I pile all my food around him and he becomes the desginated bread/egg guard.

kali110 Mon 02-Jan-17 22:20:30

Nope, yanbu.
Having worked in retail i've had the pleasure of seeing what happens when said child falls out of the trolley. That will stay with me forever.
Truly horific.

Glitteryunicorn Mon 02-Jan-17 22:15:22

I saw this happen to a little shit kid at tesco he was unsupervised running up and down hanging off the trolley when he jumped on it too heavily and went full face plant splat on the floor

I had to scurry down a different aisle as I was laughing so hard, years later it still makes me chuckle out loud when I think of it.

People should control their kids

And yes I know I'm a terrible person grin

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Mon 02-Jan-17 22:11:49

What's with all the zombie threads being resurrected? If you have something to post, start a thread!

pklme Mon 02-Jan-17 22:07:38

One of mine screamed the supermarket down after managing to get himself stuck underneath the trolley. No idea how he did it. It took me and an assistant to lift it off, all the while he screamed like a stuck pig- which was reassuring as he obviously wasn't short of breath... I didn't take him again for years.

acquiescence Mon 02-Jan-17 21:58:47

My 12 month old can't quite walk but can climb out of the seat. As they don't have straps on the seat bit it is safer to let him stand in the trolley than climb out of the seat or crawl on the floor. I generally pack the sling in case of extreme climbing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now