People taking ridiculous risks with their dc in supermarket trolleys

(166 Posts)
wherewasi Sun 21-Apr-13 16:30:20

Just done the supermarket run, as always I find I have to avert my eyes and bite my tongue at the sight of so many tiny children standing up in the trolley while it's being pushed round the shop or hanging off the side.

I have seen so many accidents where the trolley gets shunted and the child falls over/off and hurts themselves - bangs their head, bites their tongue, scrapes themselves on the metal. Why do parents do this? Presumably they take the normal precautions in other areas - car seats, road safety awareness, advising dc to take care in the playground or running round the house?

Even saw a really tiny one today slumped in one of the shallow trolleys with his head lolling over the edge, just at the right level to bang it on a shelf.

AIBU or OTT to cringe about this?

Theironfistofarkus Sun 21-Apr-13 22:49:01

Ps I have a confession to make. I still trolley surf myself (not with DC standing in trolley or indeed anywhere in the vicinity).

Mehrida Sun 21-Apr-13 22:50:36

This is all just reminding me how much I always wanted to go trolley surfing yesterday when I was wee and DH my mum wouldn't let me.

Thanks for that.

Schooldidi Sun 21-Apr-13 22:54:12

I was injured once in a trolley. I was strapped into the proper seat and when the trolley fell over (because it was missing a wheel shock) my arm was trapped underneath and I broke my wrist.

That hasn't stopped me letting dd2 ride standing up in the main part of the trolley, or hang onto the end. I make the decisions about what I consider to be safe for my child because I know my child and the way she is likely to behave. There are things other parents let their children do that i consider to be unsafe for mine, but that's their decision.

TheMNeffect Sun 21-Apr-13 22:58:05

Youngest DD has fallen out if a trolley when she was 18 months old. She was sat in the seat bit, but there were no straps on this particular shop's trolleys. I was bent down looking at something on the lowest shelves and she landed next to me. Luckily she didn't hurt herself.

She is 2 now and can take the straps off and stand herself up on the seats. She is also the most horrendous bolter. Given even the slightest chance, she would run away and end up in the car park.

So I weigh up the situation and I let her sit in the basket part of the deep trolley as I feel it is the safest of all the options available to me.

I actually do my shopping online so I will only do this when we are nipping in for a few supplies and won't be there long.

I had no idea I was failing her so badly as a parent hmm.

neunundneunzigluftballons Sun 21-Apr-13 23:03:32

If this thread was about stairs, trees, walls whatever we could have a litany of trips, falls and all sorts of hazards. At the end of the day parents need to supervise their kids and even doing that with the best will in the world there will be accidents.

BurnThisDiscoDown Sun 21-Apr-13 23:09:38

I've done this with DS (20 months) once - as soon as I put him in the seat he screamed and started to climb out, and I can't hold his hand and push a trolley at the same time, so I put him in the basket section. I couldn't see an alternative at the time, he only stayed there until I got to the baby aisle and bribed him into the seat with Organix biscuits. blush I've never done it before, but he would have fallen trying to climb out of the seat.

YouDontWinFriendsWithSalad Mon 22-Apr-13 02:35:36

God I must be a terrible mother - I let my kid stand in the trolley AND I take the buggy down the escalator to get to the tube.

reluctantmover Mon 22-Apr-13 08:38:47

Of course it's a risk to put a child into a shopping trolley designed not for toddlers but for putting your purchases in. It's also a risk putting them in the seat, but at least it is designed for that purpose and the likelihood of an accident from the seat it much lower, so long as you keep an eye on your child. You really can't argue that there is no risk in letting them stand or sit inside the main part of the trolley, or hold on to the outside of the trolley. I've seen the odd child fall out. You'll indeed find details of deaths of children who've fallen from these trolleys, yes they are rare but it happens, they are all accidents which would have been avoided if parents had just not put them there. You'll also find details that shopping trolley accidents do make up a small percentage of A+E admissions for children, but you'll find far higher percentages of admissions are due to causes which could have been avoided, such as leaving a baby on a bed, a sofa, a changing table, open stairs, even dropped from arms. Why do parents take these risks? I really don't know.

ilovexmastime Mon 22-Apr-13 08:55:42

I used to let mine sit in the trolley, never stand. I honestly can't see a problem withit.

fortyplus Mon 22-Apr-13 09:02:10

YouDontWinFriendsWithSalad - you'll stop doing it the day your child reaches for something and falls out and lands on his head on a hard floor like mine did when he was 2

reluctantmover Mon 22-Apr-13 09:14:03

Life is full of risks, you just can't avoid them.

I didn't like the idea of taking a child down an escalator in a buggy when they were small. If I was in a shopping centre with the option of lift or escalator, even if the lift was further, I'd take it. If I was taking the tube and the option was stairs and escalator, I'd take the escalator and hold on for dear life! But if I were in a supermarket and had the choice of seat where I could strap a child or where I could let them stand up, the choice was easy to make which was less risky.

I cannot fathom why anyone can't see why there is a problem with a child sitting or standing inside a shopping trolley, when there is a safer option.

Crunchymunchyhoneycakes Mon 22-Apr-13 09:18:06

I saw someone with a baby of about a year old sat precariously on the tiny baby basket seat on the top of a trolley - not even strapped in! So about 5 feet off the ground on a slidy too small seat above a hard floor. I couldn't even look it made me properly shudder. Why would anyone do that? It was so obviously really dangerous. I have a really strong anxiety response to stuff like that though, I can't watch children hanging over balconies and things either it totally freaks me out, I actually have to run away to somewhere I can't see them anymore.

Crunchymunchyhoneycakes Mon 22-Apr-13 09:20:28

Oh and I don't let my son ride in the main bit of the trolley - the older one is 5 and he walks round with us or if we go to one supermarket near us - gets a half hour in the soft play within the shop - there's a good idea! The wee one stays in his sling at the moment but may go in the trolley seat in future.

Crunchymunchyhoneycakes Mon 22-Apr-13 09:20:49

It's like a softplay/crèche thing.

Fakebook Mon 22-Apr-13 09:29:55

Life is one big risk. Stop being a party pooper.

UnChartered Mon 22-Apr-13 09:34:15

i always thought trolley surfing was where you held it by the handle, ran as fast as your could then balanced on the handle to see how far it could run without you knocking loads of jars over touching the floor again

every day a school day wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now