People taking ridiculous risks with their dc in supermarket trolleys

(166 Posts)
wherewasi Sun 21-Apr-13 16:30:20

Just done the supermarket run, as always I find I have to avert my eyes and bite my tongue at the sight of so many tiny children standing up in the trolley while it's being pushed round the shop or hanging off the side.

I have seen so many accidents where the trolley gets shunted and the child falls over/off and hurts themselves - bangs their head, bites their tongue, scrapes themselves on the metal. Why do parents do this? Presumably they take the normal precautions in other areas - car seats, road safety awareness, advising dc to take care in the playground or running round the house?

Even saw a really tiny one today slumped in one of the shallow trolleys with his head lolling over the edge, just at the right level to bang it on a shelf.

AIBU or OTT to cringe about this?

MajaBiene Sun 21-Apr-13 18:22:43

This is such a non-issue. I find it bizarre what some people get worked up about grin

Levantine Sun 21-Apr-13 18:24:40

It is safer, because he can't stand up and fall out. What would be better would be to do all my shopping online or without him. But those seats are crap and dangerous IMO.

In France they have toddler friendly trolleys with sterling wheels which are really good

He can fall out actually. As you'll probably discover.

hate seeing children in trolleys! angry

used to work in a supermarket... it was always the supermarkets fault when things went wrong... never the parents! hmm

i think shops should try and put a stop to it

Levantine Sun 21-Apr-13 18:27:45

How? he is shorter than the edge of the trolley? do you mean if he stands on something?

helopoly Sun 21-Apr-13 18:30:27

The trolley is not stable enough to support a child if it leans too much on the side. I know of a child that had a really bad broken arm after falling out of the main part of the trolley. Why risk it?

TheChaoGoesMu Sun 21-Apr-13 18:33:16

The trolley is deep. No chance of dc falling out unless they suddenly sprout up another couple of feet taller whilst on the supermarket circuit. Very little chance of that happening. Dc are perfectly capable of holding on. I'm not walking round with my eyes closed so I can see exactly whats going on. Safer because theres less chance of dc getting barged by other peoples trolleys, less chance of getting lost, less chance of them snatching things off the shelves. I can give you plenty of examples of crap parenting, but that aint one of them. The level of preciousness on here is a little OTT.

Sparklingbrook Sun 21-Apr-13 18:34:14

They should not be stood in the shallow trollies though.

PurpleThing Sun 21-Apr-13 18:35:19

"Dim" is a bit much. I can't believe people are so irate about this. Yes they could hurt themselves if you are not paying attention but so could they if they slipped on a dropped grape!?

There is no internet shopping here. I get one chance once a week/fortnight to do my shopping so I have to do a big shop, so some of the time I have him standing in the trolley, putting things in the front section for me. He climbs out of the seat or spreads his legs in rage so I can't get him in it in the first place. If he is freerange he takes things off the shelf and runs off. If I put reins on him he lies on the floor. I used to sling him on my back but the sling is now too knackered to use.

MN is such an education about what other people are judging you for!

TheChaoGoesMu Sun 21-Apr-13 18:36:02

They should not be stood in the shallow trollies though.

obviously not. They'd fall out.

Sparklingbrook Sun 21-Apr-13 18:37:02

Unless Aunty Sparkling is there to catch them TheChao. sad

People seem obsessed with this being 'low risk' so lets look at that and assess the risk:

Firstly - how often does this happen? Well the people who do this do it all the time.

Secondly - what is the liklihhod of a child falling? Given that they are riding in something not designed for them, subject to shifts in weight, on a smooth floor, being used by people with a less than adult appreciation of danger and accompanied by parents who are looking in other directions and moving away from the trolley I would say the chances are high of a fall

Thirdly - what are the consequences? Broken bones or head injuries are possible. Even fatalities.

All this adds up to a high risk rating which can be mitigated by only one thing - NOT DOING THE ACTIVITY. And the risk of not doing it - you have to otherwise occupy your child. Wow. Balancing the rleative risks here must really task some people hmm

ShowMeTheYoni Sun 21-Apr-13 18:42:07

Wow, glad you have never seen me in a supermarket. I let ds stand on one end whilst I get the trolley spinning round and jump on my own side blush. We only ever do it in empty isles! We laugh, hurt no-one and have never fallen off either of us I am clearly in the "lousy parent" camp. Ds is 6 by the way, but we have been doing the spinning trolley routine for years! <runs away>

AnyaKnowIt Sun 21-Apr-13 18:44:11

As an ex manager and first aider in a supermarket i've lost count of how many times I've had to treat children who had fallen out of trollies.

GreenEggsAndNichts Sun 21-Apr-13 18:45:27

Sorry but when I hear people say they allow their children to do xyz risky thing and say they haven't hurt themselves, I just think of how my mum says they never wore seat belts when they were children and they're all fine now. Well yes, they were never in a car accident, so they're fine. It is risky behaviour, whether or not you want to admit it. It just happens to be a risk you're willing to take.

cece Sun 21-Apr-13 18:45:48

This is exactly why I do online delivery. People even judge you about how you use your trolley. biscuit

DB still bears the scar from where DM let go of the trolley where he was safely strapped into the seat, and it tipped over, dumping him on his wee face sad

Thereafter she always put something heavy in the other end ASAP, and I remember to do so too.

My children ride in the seats or not at all. But we do indulge in trolley spinning.

Gentleness Sun 21-Apr-13 18:46:31

Goodness me - I'm talking in my own case of a small 22mo who is not capable of climbing out of the sort of trolley I use, or tipping it over. There is no risk of that at all. There might be for bigger child with more climbing skills, but you know what, I know my own child.

Seems to me that with some people talking about some trolleys and some about all and some about bigger children and some about any children and so on, there is so little point in having this discussion.

There is a HUGE difference between a boy on the 100th percentile for growth and one on the 1st. That's before you get into ages and characters and seriously don't tell me that with all the crass educational decisions the government are taking about one-size-fits-all schooling, we could have similar over-controlling regulation of trolley usage.

chickensaladagain Sun 21-Apr-13 18:46:41

I've seen a trolley tip over sideways due to a child surfing

I have never seen so much blood as his head split open on the concrete floor and the ambulance took him away on a spinal board

It wasn't pretty

MrsWolowitz Sun 21-Apr-13 18:48:53

Meh.

I have three DC under 4yo.

I get a double trolley and put the twins in the seats and DD1 stands in the trolley. I watch her and no accidents yet.

I wasn't even aware that this was an issue.

Who are all these trolley shunters? I've never seen a trolley-tastrophe. Hopefully they are pretty rare.

Sparklingbrook Sun 21-Apr-13 18:49:27

If they are too big to sit in the trolley seat they should be walking though.

Tommy Sun 21-Apr-13 18:50:00

I'm with you on this one OP!
If they are small enough to need to have a ride round the shop, they should go on the seat. If they are too big for the seat, they can walk.
smile

Gentleness Sun 21-Apr-13 18:50:34

Is trolley surfing the same as standing in the trolley?

TheChaoGoesMu Sun 21-Apr-13 18:50:57

Oh well, because I dont agree with you Northern, I'm going to carry on doing what I'm doing. You think there's huge risks so don't do it with your children, I don't think there's huge risks, so I will.

Sparklingbrook Sun 21-Apr-13 18:51:21

I think trolley surfing is standing on the back of the trolley isn't it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now