People taking ridiculous risks with their dc in supermarket trolleys

(166 Posts)
wherewasi Sun 21-Apr-13 16:30:20

Just done the supermarket run, as always I find I have to avert my eyes and bite my tongue at the sight of so many tiny children standing up in the trolley while it's being pushed round the shop or hanging off the side.

I have seen so many accidents where the trolley gets shunted and the child falls over/off and hurts themselves - bangs their head, bites their tongue, scrapes themselves on the metal. Why do parents do this? Presumably they take the normal precautions in other areas - car seats, road safety awareness, advising dc to take care in the playground or running round the house?

Even saw a really tiny one today slumped in one of the shallow trolleys with his head lolling over the edge, just at the right level to bang it on a shelf.

AIBU or OTT to cringe about this?

TheChaoGoesMu Sun 21-Apr-13 17:25:18

Well mine have never had an accident. Its not as if I'm not right there watching them is it. hmm

When DS1 was a toddler he was sat in the trolley seat properly but sneezed and hit his mouth on the bar you push. Teeth through his lip, blood everywhere. sad trollies are dangerous.

Asda were fab though. Straight up to the staff room, first aider, and chocolate bars afterwards.

KnockMeDown Sun 21-Apr-13 17:34:04

I hate seeing kids in trolleys, and have always been adamant that mine would never do this. DS, now 14, would always sit very nicely in the toddler seat, and I would look and tut very smuggly.
Now, I have DD, almost 3. She is not as compliant as DS grin . Have you ever tried to get a reluctant, kicking toddler into one of those seats? So guess what, she rides in the trolley, either sitting or standing. She will sometimes walk, but when its very busy, I would say she is safer in the trolley than out of it! Also, shock, horror, shock , when doing the self-scan along the way in Tesco, I give her a pack of chocolate buttons to keep her occupied!

OrlaKiely Sun 21-Apr-13 17:35:05

I think there's a bit of dissonance - people feel like it's not their responsibility because it's in a shop. Also the trolleys are crap.

I've had so much trouble trying to go shopping with a baby - finding a baby-sized seat is hard work, when you find one it's filthy, if you use your own car seat you can't even see where you're going as they are so high - supermarkets need proper parent centred trolleys.

If I was a designer I'd design one right now. Proper, comfy low down seats for the children, with stuff to do like a steering wheel etc so they wanted to go in them - and proper baby seats you could collect on your way in, attach, give back at the end. Ones that got cleaned once in a while, yunno.

Startail Sun 21-Apr-13 17:36:49

DD1 had to be strapped in a trolley with her walking reins.

She could get out the waist belts. People used to tut, They seemed to think it was cruel.

Having had her climb out onto the conveyor, I was taking no chances. It's a long way down out of a trolley seat.

Tee2072 Sun 21-Apr-13 17:37:33

I have never seen a child fall out of a trolley.

I never fell out of a trolley when I was a child.

Therefore, children never fall out of trollies...

ddubsgirl Sun 21-Apr-13 17:37:56

i hate seeing it at work sad kids hanging on sides and it tips,kids inside ewwww people have had raw chickens etc sat inside them,and sat outside in all weathers and not just that but the kid may have crap on his/her shoes and then others have to use it to put shopping in!

Meh. What delaying said. I very rarely take my DC to the supermarket but if I do then them sitting in the trolley makes it more pleasant for everyone.

No injuries yet, though DS is currently sporting a big scab on his face which he sustained while already lying on the floor. Kids get bumps.

It's completely absurd to compare it with car seats unless trolleys are crashing at 70 mph round your way.

neunundneunzigluftballons Sun 21-Apr-13 17:41:03

YABU I think you are a little bit too risk averse there OP. Children cycle bikes, walk on footpaths, jump on trampolines, climb monkey bars all of which carry risk too but they survive to tell the tale in the main.

ChippingInLovesSpring Sun 21-Apr-13 17:42:41

minor bangs and scrapes

Kids get minor bangs and scrapes all the time, it's really nothing to lose sleep over.

In all my years, many of them spent in a country far more 'lax' than the UK, I have never seen a single 'trolley accident'.

... and small children are far safer in the trolley than walking about - they are at far more risk of getting hurt if they walk around the supermarket.

I agree with the OP. I think letting your child ride in any part of the trolley is reckless and lazy. I have three dcs. Two of whom are very stubborn and all of whom are active and inquisitive. They have never sat anywhere other than a trolley seat. Nobody needs to do this and you are running risk of serious injury to your child. Really, really crap parenting.

MajaBiene Sun 21-Apr-13 17:47:44

I don't see the problem, and don't think it's a big risk. Children hurt themselves climbing trees, riding bikes, running into lamposts regularly - I don't think it is necessary or desirable to eliminate all risks.

I have also never seen a child hurt themselves falling from a trolley. I don't doubt it happens, but it doesn't seem very common. The chance of DS hurting himself in a trolley I am pushing seems very small.

imour Sun 21-Apr-13 17:49:47

why let your kids stand in trolleys ? they have seats , what if they got dog shit on their shoes then its all over my shopping then in my cupboard ,its a food carrier not a ride !

DolomitesDonkey Sun 21-Apr-13 17:50:49

When I was a child we'd steal trollies and take turns to push each other down the hill. grin

wherewasi Sun 21-Apr-13 17:55:20

they are at far more risk of getting hurt if they walk around the supermarket. What a ludicrous comment.

Of course kids get bangs and scrapes and of course mine did - the worst injury was incurred in a playground. The point is there is a massive benefit to children playing so it would be crazy to try to limit that because there is a risk of injury.

Letting your child stand in or hang off a trolley is different because there is no good reason or benefit to the child of doing it.

Gentleness Sun 21-Apr-13 17:55:32

Well if cheap people didn't use the no-token-required twin trolleys when they don't have ANY kids, I'd never have my 22mo-old standing in the trolley. As it is, the choice is between having him run amok or get lost if I concentrate on the shelf contents for more than 10 seconds or standing him (we do try sitting!) in the trolley. Not all the time, but you can tell when the mood is on him. And sometimes he starts off walking but can't last the course. Seems to me that a lot of parenting is about choosing the least-bad option!

I did once go to customer services when I had all 3 kids (all under 3.5) with me and ask what had happened to all the twin trolleys. They were the ones who said they had loads but cheapskates used them instead of finding a £1. I've also asked someone if I can swap their child-free twin trolley for my single child one with one in the seat, one in the trolley and one alongside. They'd have got a £1 out of it and I'd have got a more peaceful shop but they refused!

racmun Sun 21-Apr-13 18:00:41

My son rides in the trolley, only a big one though and I don't let him hang out the side.....

He just climbs out of the seats and that is really dangerous.

If he's not in the trolley then he is generally being 'helpful' knocking things of shelves etc.

I do wonder sometimes why people are so judgemental about other people's patenting choices. Having your child the trolley at all is in theory dangerous regardless of whether they are strapped in the seat if it is going to get rammed in a moment of trolley rage. There are loads of 'dangerous' activities that parents let children do
why does it bother people so much what other people's children may or may not be allowed to do when it has no impact on your life whatsoever.

MajaBiene Sun 21-Apr-13 18:03:09

They reason/benefit is just that the child likes it - fun.

Yup concussion is such a giggle isn't it. A child who falls out of a trolley will be falling 2-3 feet on to a very hard surface. For no reason other than their dim parents couldn't be arsed to manage their behaviour or indeed plan their need for shopping differently. Nobody needs to do this and it's really stupid.

Levantine Sun 21-Apr-13 18:11:19

Those seats aren't fit for purpose with a toddler. Mine climbs out of his when I turn my back. I think standing up in the trolley is safer, though I don't thing its ideal

DigestivesWithCheese Sun 21-Apr-13 18:12:17

OP - you will horrified if you see me in the supermarket. I have twins in the two baby seats at the front of a trolley and two year old DD standing upright in the front section. She is often snacking on something I have opened for her and likes to shout "Hold on tight!" or just "Whee!" as we are walking around.

I am puzzled by the hygiene comments - the food in the trolley is always wrapped in some way, isn't it? Also flummoxed by the children "falling out"... It's a deep trolley & she is quite small. I think my DD is in more danger when she is hanging on the back of a pushchair and standing on a buggy board.

MajaBiene Sun 21-Apr-13 18:16:32

DS is much more likely to fall out from standing on the seat than standing in the trolley.

He could also get a concussion falling off his bike, out of a tree or from a wall.

'I think standing up in the trolley is safer' - no it isn't. What would be safer is you doing your shopping in a different way.

neunundneunzigluftballons Sun 21-Apr-13 18:21:20

Trolley surfing - is it a means of getting kids and food from A to B or is it an extreme sport for kids and a vehicle for really crap parents to express themselves? find out more on mumsnet.

Really, really crap parenting.

<rolls eyes>

I think that is ever more ott than ridiculous risks.

neunundneunzigluftballons Sun 21-Apr-13 18:21:51

ever = even

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now