Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to consider keeping an overpayment from work?

(58 Posts)
jango36 Sun 21-Apr-13 16:08:41

title says it all.. Was paid a few hundered extra this def was extra. Some admin person has done it in error! am I terrible for considering keeping stum?!

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 22-Apr-13 07:54:49

The OP is aware it has happened as she posted here and she is showing intent to keep by discussing here. By the nature of posting it here if she chooses to keep the amount it is theft.
Most contracts have a clause in then relating to accidental overpayment of wages and the ability of the firm to recoup now. So she may even have a contractual obligation.

tazzle Mon 22-Apr-13 07:58:06

Well think about it the other way... if you noticed you had been under paid you would , quite rightly , tell them you had and want paid for work done. You cannot have it work one way a d not the other !

Why should you benefit from someone elses error .... what if you were the hr person that made the error ?

You know it's dishonest. .. do the right thing ... tell them.

emmyloo2 Mon 22-Apr-13 08:01:43

Just to correct posters above, if you knowingly keep it that is theft and it is a criminal offence. Bobyan is completely correct. You do know it's an overpayment so if you keep it, it's theft and also the tort of conversion and you will have to pay it back.

I am a lawyer with a company and we chase people down who have left the company who have been overpaid. If you don't pay it back they can take you to court.

confusedgirlfromtheShire Mon 22-Apr-13 08:10:13

I second a poster above who said it might be a tax rebate. I'm not a tax expert by any means and don't know your circumstances obviously - but as this is the first pay packet in the new tax year, your tax code might have changed and they might need to adjust your take home pay to take account of that??

Either way, you must bring it to their attention.

MoodyDidIt Mon 22-Apr-13 08:12:51

bobyan

it was ten years ago so get over yourself

amistillsexy Mon 22-Apr-13 08:17:05

I was overpaid once (working as a teacher) . I contacted the payroll dept and they said they'd look into it. My headteacher advised me to put it away in a savings account, so I wasn't tempted to spend it.
Great advice, as it helped to pay the deposit on my first house 8 years later! Despite several phone calls and letters, they never took the money back.

amistillsexy Mon 22-Apr-13 08:18:57

Meant to add...I always had the intention of paying it back. That's the key here. The decent thing is to tell them, and let them decide what to do about it.

gonerogue Mon 22-Apr-13 08:36:15

I was paid an extra month of maternity leave, I.e they paid me for my first unpaid month off. They didn't notice, e en when I rang up querying as we were die to get a bonus that month so I was checking if tht was what had come through.

When I got my payslip I realised their mistake rang payroll, my line manager, payroll, line manager... The overpayment was in August and they didn't sort it until Novembr.

My line manager said he was shocked t my telling them... But ke everyone else I didn't want a big demand for cash off them in future.

Easy to let them know, chase it a few times then leave it with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now