To want to run the London Marathon even though I am unfit and overweight?

(99 Posts)
MNBlackpoolandFylde Sun 21-Apr-13 13:17:17

I have just been watching the guy who was overweight and lost loads training/got fit.

I want to do that!

I would love to run the Marathon, I used to be very sporty and fit and have always wanted to do it.

My friends six year old has been in hospital since 26th December with serious heart and lung problems.

I want to do it for her.

Please come tell me I am mad and it is not doable to go from couch to 26 miles in a year.

tiredemma Sun 21-Apr-13 20:24:22

I go with a club in the park of an evening. I do run alone at 6 am also. Only other runners around then. And dog walkers

freetrait Sun 21-Apr-13 20:26:43

Have you got a park anywhere near you? You won't look like an idiot in any case. But a park is a good bet. Running is fab, I love it. Go girl, go! smile.

Is running possible with 36G breastfeeding boobs?

freetrait Sun 21-Apr-13 20:38:07

I don't see why not, although you would need a good sport's bra smile. It's certainly possible with a big, wobbly bottom as I've found out recently grin.

tiredemma Sun 21-Apr-13 20:39:39

Anyone, any size can run. Did you watch the london marathon on tv today? Not everyone is skinny and toned!

I started running last January at 15st and am now running 15-18 miles a week and am 9 1/2st. I did the c25k using the NHS podcast after finding a thread here, I'm still on it and we have lots of new people joining. I can totally recommend it as a plan. I ran around the streets and then in the forest once it was light in the evenings.

I have built up distance as found I really love to run! I've done a 10k race and have another in 5 weeks. Considering a half marathon as there's one very local to me in July but I don't want to stop loving running because I feel I HAVE to go out and train for a race. I joined a club last summer and it has definitely improved my speed as well as providing lots of inspiration.

You can build up to a marathon in a year and in fact there is this 24 week training program on the website. I would agree with newgirl, you don't want to start running and find it's really not the sport for you but have a gruelling training schedule you hate because you've committed to a marathon. Also it doesn't have to be London, as others have said there are some other lovely marathons. One of the ladies from my club does Edinburgh every year and loves it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

I'm at least 4 stone overweight and hate exercising, but seriously considering applying this time round. Could be just the spark I need to motivate me to lose my lard. I'm sure that taking it sensibly and following all the professional advice means that doing it in a year is possible.

CatOfTheDay Sun 21-Apr-13 20:47:22

Here's the details of the Sweatshop Running Community (I don't work for them honest!)
www.sweatshop.co.uk/why-sweatshop/running-community

I started with them , the beginner's group starts by running a minute and walking a minute, it's similar to C25k. There were people of all shapes and sizes when I went - and it was great a year later to see some of them at the start of the half marathon with me when we could hardly run at all before!

I run round local streets either by myself or with DP now - I get the odd heckle but it's mainly good-natured. I've had a couple of people try to race me too - but I've always won apart from once when it was a bloke on a bike so not really fair! grin

Anifrangapani Sun 21-Apr-13 20:47:58

Don't be put off by thinking.you will look like an idiot. Everybody started somewhere and it always cheers me up when I see a new runner out and about. They have all taken the hardest step - the one out the front door.

askmeaboutmytrex Sun 21-Apr-13 20:56:02

YANBU. I think it's a brilliant goal.

I started with the race for life then did a 10k, then a half marathon then the full. This was in my thirties after two kids. But I did discover that I was good, really good and soon ended up with a coach and sponsorship etc.

But, given my time again, I wouldn't have stepped up to the marathon quite so quickly. Download a training schedule for a marathon and see if you fancy it with less than years running in your legs, especially if you feel you need to shift a bit of weight initially too.

Running 3 or 4 twenty mile runs in the depths of winter (think maybe three or four hours) with maybe working up to this distance so at least two hours every Sunday for 16 weeks of your training schedule, plus three or four extra runs during the week, one of 8 plus miles etc. marathon training is very very tough, even if you aim just to get round and enjoy it. I was clocking 60 miles a week at least to go for specific times.

Get out there, enjoy, run/walk with no shame at all, good pair of trainers essential. Look after your eating, marathon training takes no prisoners, try running for three hours on a Sunday morning after a takeout the night before, you won't want to!!

I think watching the marathon is amazing and inspiring and I have no doubt you can do it, but please be aware how hard it is.

Good luck and small steps!!

Ps. The feeling when you cross the line of your first marathon is like nothing else. Such a feeling of being overwhelmed and pride and hurt!!!

Please don't think I am being negative, I am sure you can do it, but the marathon finds you out in ways other distances don't.

I ran in the dark to start with btw until I could run between lampposts without dying.

Nutrition, stretching, shoes, energy drinks, taking it steady, recovery is very important. Pm me if you want, I know running!

Lastly. Find a Saturday morning park run. They are everywhere these days, brilliant people and doesn't matter if you are a beginner or elite.

howdoo Sun 21-Apr-13 21:13:37

Do it! I started running three years ago and did my first marathon last year, in my mid-fortiesblush. Will not lie, it was bloody hard, much worse than I thought as I had trained properly, especially the last few miles are a total mind over body, but as soon as I finished I couldn't wait to do it again, but quicker! It is definitely the hardest and most rewarding thing I have ever done, and the fact is I am fitter and have a better, healthier body than I did in my twenties. Do it!

How do you keep the motivation going? I cannot imagine ever getting to a finishing line and thinking roll on next time and quicker.

More like 'Thank fuck I never have to do that again, where's the pizza?'

ALittleStranger Sun 21-Apr-13 21:23:43

YANBU, but you need to be motivated and train, otherwise it's possible to complete the London marathon and still be unfit and overweight. I saw a lot of people out today proving that.

tiredemma Sun 21-Apr-13 21:27:27

Were the unfit ones clearly unfit? Were they running?

ALittleStranger Sun 21-Apr-13 21:29:38

Yes they were clearly unfit and out of shape, some running but clearly wouldn't be for long, and some walking pretty early on the course.

freetrait Sun 21-Apr-13 21:31:09

The marathon distance seems to inspire folk, and it inspired me today too smile. I am thinking of doing it in two years. I have already completed several half marathons. I know how tough running a long way is grin and how much training, time and energy it takes. I would also want to aim for a decent time (this is completely personal, but for me that would be something like 4-4.30).

So.... of course, go for the marathon if you like, but consider smaller goals first like a 5K, a 10K. It may be more enjoyable if you come to it in your own time rather than feel pressured to reach a marathon in a year.

tiredemma Sun 21-Apr-13 21:32:13

The GNR had loads walking by about 3 miles.

howdoo Sun 21-Apr-13 21:32:37

Starlight you are so right, def had the thank god I don't have to run for a week or two, let me at the wine and burgers feeling. But also felt that I wasn't as fast as I wanted to be (wanted to do less than 4 hours) and that I could do better next time, and what could I change in training/eating etc to help that.

howdoo Sun 21-Apr-13 21:37:27

It's a gradual but also gratifyingly fast thing - the first time I ran up a big hill near us, I thought I was going to be sick, the second time was OK, the third time was fine. I think fitness is like that - you get fit quicker than you think you're going to. My first half marathon was hell. The second one I first walked at 9 miles in. I know now that I can run a full half without walking. Same with a marathon (I hope) - my first one I first walked at mile 17. Next time, maybe I won't walk at all!

Bakingnovice Sun 21-Apr-13 21:41:12

I've downloaded the c25k app but too scared to start. Just have no faith in myself at all. This thread is inspiring me to just do it tmrw.

freetrait Sun 21-Apr-13 21:41:52

I have been inspired by a relative who completed the marathon today in 3.56. That's her second or third marathon. She is 49. I am 40, I have run several half marathons, mostly about 10 years ago before kids, but did one last year in 2 hours 13. But now I am back to working up from 10K again and quite a slow 10K at that...

Running is a very honest sport. You do it, you get better at it. Unfortunately as you get older it's also a lot easier to lose fitness. You don't do it, you get worse...pretty fastgrin.

welshweasel Sun 21-Apr-13 22:11:18

I started running a year ago, after quitting smoking. I remember my first run well - I managed 200m and had to stop as I thought I was going to die. Today I ran my first ever marathon in 3 hours 59 minutes. Running has completed changed my life in so many ways and I am feeling very proud of myself this evening! Go for it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now