To want to run the London Marathon even though I am unfit and overweight?

(99 Posts)
MNBlackpoolandFylde Sun 21-Apr-13 13:17:17

I have just been watching the guy who was overweight and lost loads training/got fit.

I want to do that!

I would love to run the Marathon, I used to be very sporty and fit and have always wanted to do it.

My friends six year old has been in hospital since 26th December with serious heart and lung problems.

I want to do it for her.

Please come tell me I am mad and it is not doable to go from couch to 26 miles in a year.

WMittens Sun 21-Apr-13 15:04:44

Do it, I think everyone should have a challenge to push themselves on.

As an aside, 'c25k' confuses me so much - it looks like shorthand for "circa twenty-five thousand" - 5K then doesn't sound so impressive after thinking it was about 25K!

Yonihadtoask Sun 21-Apr-13 15:06:30

Do it.

Registration for 2014 VLM opens on Monday 29th April. (I checked already).

grin

angelfire Sun 21-Apr-13 15:11:59

It is doable - I did it in 2002.
I started running in May 2001 - and it was running between lamposts and then walking between the next lampost - so I had no fitness whatsoever!
I gradually built up from there running my first half marathon in the January and the London Marathon in the April.
It was the BEST day ever (excluding birth of DS, marriage etc!!!)
My advice

1. Get yourself to a proper running shop and get some proper running shoes and a running bra
2. Get yourself out - walk at first and build up
3. Join a club - there are lots of people just like you and they want to just get to 1 mile running as well
4. Once you have got yourself used to a bit of running it's amazing how quickly you get to 3 miles running then 5 then 7 etc
5. Do some fixtures - Race for Life, your local 5K, fun run etc

Its brilliant!!!!

CatOfTheDay Sun 21-Apr-13 15:46:08

You can do it! I started running after I quit smoking - I was very unfit and didn't even think I COULD run - but I completed my first half marathon last year in just over 2 hrs (I was aiming for under 2:15 so very proud of myself!)

It's quite hard to get a place in the London Marathon though as they have so many entrants and do it via ballot - I know people who have tried several times and not got a place. You may be able to get a place though a charity as they reserve a number of places each year - you just have to guarantee that you'll raise a certain amount for them.

CatOfTheDay Sun 21-Apr-13 15:47:09

Oooo and buying nice shiny new running shoes is exciting -
I'm due some myself as soon as I get paid!

coorong Sun 21-Apr-13 15:52:18

Yes you can!
BUT - sort yourself on a few things first.
Go to up and running (sweatshop) or similar (as someone else suggested) and get some good running shoes, then go to M&S and get a high impact bra (the shock absorbers are over rated IME and difficult to put on)

Then - find your local Park Run (free Saturday morning 5km timed runs - that will give you a training incentive and introduce you to the local running mafia)

Then go onto the myasics or runners world website and set yourself up a training plan. You input what you're training for, and your starting point and how many days a week you want to train. You need to mix up interval and LSD (long slow distance), with strength / resistance training.

You will go from zero to hero in a year!! Good luck.

Yonihadtoask Sun 21-Apr-13 15:55:58

yes to parkrun.

It's a great way to meet other runners - some are fast, some are not. Most are friendly.

CatOfTheDay Sun 21-Apr-13 16:06:24

If there's a Sweatshop near you they have a free running club with a beginner's group - you can collect stamps each week to get goodies!

Wishiwasanheiress Sun 21-Apr-13 17:06:15

I ran it at 12.5stone and could only do 3m in the November prior to April marathon. It's perfectly possible. I did 5 1/2 hrs no injuries.

I've never been so proud of self. Do it, it's truly worth it. Best day of life!!!!

ibbydibby Sun 21-Apr-13 17:23:11

Wmittens - C25 = Couch to 5k (I think).

Agree re parkrun, excellent way to start. Our running club has introduction to running type courses, so maybe worth googling a few local running clubs to see what's on offer.

I did London Marathon in 2007, fab experience, really want to do it again. Due to run last year and pulled out a few days before, due to injury. Still feel sad about it, one year on!

Good luck!

ibbydibby Sun 21-Apr-13 17:23:44

Correction C25K = Couch to 5k

Spartak Sun 21-Apr-13 17:53:33

The ballot for entry normally closes after 24 hours as so many people apply, so you'll need to apply early.

Yonihadtoask Sun 21-Apr-13 17:58:11

Agree spartak

Unless you can get a charity place it is a tough race to get into.

I have applied twice through the ballot so far - no luck.

tiredemma Sun 21-Apr-13 18:09:23

Charity places expect you to raise a massive amountof cash ( usually 1.5k+). Im going to apply to do the brighton marathon i think. Ill never get a london ballot place.

Yonihadtoask Sun 21-Apr-13 18:12:39

That's why I can't /won't use a charity place. There is no way I would be able to raise so much.

Am happy to fundraise if I had a ballot place- there isn't so much pressure to go for the £1,000 - £2,000 or whatever you pledge to raise.

Ooh, I'd love to do Brighton. Don't live anywhere near though - but running on the sea front must be ace.

tiredemma Sun 21-Apr-13 18:21:57

I dont live anywhere near either! ( im in birmingham!).

newgirl Sun 21-Apr-13 18:32:09

Why not aim for a 10k or half marathon first and see how you enjoy it? Its a lot of pressure to announce to all 'I'm doing a marathon' - I'd work up to it carefully so as not to injure yourself. Then when you have done a 1/2 enter a marathon. The very best of luck!

MNBlackpoolandFylde Sun 21-Apr-13 19:31:55

Oh sweatshop is near me and I like free stuff... Hehe

Great North Run is next May and 10k I think.
Manchester marathon too..

Can't believe you have not all told me I am crazy, thank you for the support and advice.

I hate being so overweight, I want to do stuff with dd and can't especially after being fit before now.

I've applied for a place in London marathon 9 times and never been successful, but have run it five times through charity places. It's the most amazing day - you will feel incredibly proud of yourself and humbled by the reasons people are running. And the support is the best in the world.

Go for it! You've been given great advice on this thread. Enjoy it and see you there next year smile

Liltzero Sun 21-Apr-13 19:52:37

MNBlackpool.... Go for it !

I can recommend Chester Marathon. I ran it as my first (and so far only) marathon. No tortuous ballot, just pay your money and your in AND rated by runners and readers of Runners World the UK's best marathon in 2013 beating both London and Brighton. What is more it is in October so you get to train in the light Summer evenings! grin

theoriginalandbestrookie Sun 21-Apr-13 19:54:43

I agree with newgirl, I'm not saying don't go for it, but do pace yourself as you do need to build in a lot of training for a full marathon.

I have never run a marathon although I have run a few half marathons as I just don't have the time or inclination to fit 2+ hr runs into my schedule.

I would start off gradually, 5k to build up your confidence, then find a local 10k - there are usually ones every couple of months. Great North is an amazing half marathon to do, it was my first one and I think the most enjoyable one because of all the spectators and support. It's April now and it would be a tremendous achievement to go from not running at all now to being able to do a half marathon in October ( I think that's when it is). Also if you commit to it, and start a running plan very soon it is fairly achievable.

If you found that you were fine doing that, then you have more than enough time to work up your distances for the next London marathon if you can get the charity entrance

MNBlackpoolandFylde Sun 21-Apr-13 20:15:53

Where do people doing the couch to 5k run? I am 13 and a half stone size 14/16 at moment. I live on the main road of dds primary, local secondary and several school mums. I don't want to look an idiot.

Once I can do 5k there's a club with a track/road races.

5madthings Sun 21-Apr-13 20:22:44

I just run around the streets where i live and have used mapmyrun to see the distance and create a map of my route. I tend to go in the evenings and there are iften qute a few other runners out or i go early morning or late afternoon, depending on dps shifts.

I see runners of all shapes and sizes, everyone just gives a friendly nod and smile, its like being in a secret club!

Get a good sports bra and go to a running shop to get good trainers.

Yonihadtoask Sun 21-Apr-13 20:22:55

I run on the streets. I don't care if anyone wants to point and laugh. grin.

It's safer when running alone. When I run with friends we do go on quieter routes and parks.

5madthings Sun 21-Apr-13 20:24:05

I used the zenlabs couchto5k app as i can play music at the same time via my phone. Its free to download smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now