To want to run the London Marathon even though I am unfit and overweight?

(99 Posts)
MNBlackpoolandFylde Sun 21-Apr-13 13:17:17

I have just been watching the guy who was overweight and lost loads training/got fit.

I want to do that!

I would love to run the Marathon, I used to be very sporty and fit and have always wanted to do it.

My friends six year old has been in hospital since 26th December with serious heart and lung problems.

I want to do it for her.

Please come tell me I am mad and it is not doable to go from couch to 26 miles in a year.

Of course you can!

You have a whole YEAR to train for it, use it as the start you need to change your life.

I am also unfit and overweight (7lb more than I thought - sob!) and will be starting couch 2 5k again this week. No general target in sight, but this seems like a good one.

HeySoulSister Sun 21-Apr-13 13:24:04

im just tracking ten of the runners from my running club....my running buddy is doing so well

i'm in for next year...training is ongoing at running club,go for it!!

dyslexicdespot Sun 21-Apr-13 13:25:25

Of course you can do it! Why don't you download the NHS couch to 5k. It is a really wonderful training program that was designed for people who are unfit.

I started it last year and have now lost the 3 stone I gained while pregnant. I run 5 - 6 days a week and love it.

Good luck!

MNBlackpoolandFylde Sun 21-Apr-13 13:26:18

I need to shift around four stone!
I used to be very fit, I had 8 operations and a dd and could not carry on with sport for a while.

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Sun 21-Apr-13 13:26:52

I'm tracking DH. Four years ago he was over 16 stone and lazy. He's due to finish in the next ten minutes. It's totally doable.

Everyone on the course started as a non-runner at one stage. A year is loads of time to build up slowly and lose the weight. And to enjoy the process.

recall Sun 21-Apr-13 13:27:11

OP, join a club ! My husband did, and went from unfit and obese to seriously fit and lost 3 stone. he doesn't run full marathons, but often does half ones. He just tracked his friend from the running club who made it in 2:58, he wanted to do it under 3 hours, we are all so thrilled fro him.

You could do it in a year if you stay focused.

HeySoulSister Sun 21-Apr-13 13:27:26

ive just lost 3 stone low carbing...and doing c25k....you can do it!

recall Sun 21-Apr-13 13:28:07

hoteltangofoxtrotuniform how exciting…..has he done it ???

whitewineintherain Sun 21-Apr-13 13:29:05

I want to do it too, I'm very overweight and really unfit but would love to raise money for my local hospice by running the marathon next year.

rubyslippers Sun 21-Apr-13 13:29:15

you can do it!

my DH started training in October and is out there now running the marathon

he wasn;t over weight at all but he wasn't fit either

i plan on starting running too - he;s got so much out of it and he is fitter and healthier than ever

go for it!

VioletStar Sun 21-Apr-13 13:29:17

I just did mission 1 of Zombie Run! Its a C25K app which has zombies in it chasing you etc. Unfort. I pressed the wrong button 1 min from end and ended mission before I saved! grrrr. Anyway DH ran his first half marathon recently after being overweight for years and now is a confirmed runner. If he can do it, anyone can. Go for it!

recall Sun 21-Apr-13 13:30:58

rubyslippers Wow..that is impressive

recall Sun 21-Apr-13 13:31:52

We are all running widows grin

rubyslippers Sun 21-Apr-13 13:33:02

thank you - we are very proud

he was totally committed to the plan and took it really seriously

it's a major achievement to run the London Marathon

i didn't see very much of him tho grin

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Sun 21-Apr-13 14:09:07

Recall - yes, though he cramped up on Birdcage Walk and came in at 3.39. Am very proud of him and off to buy him an enormous lunch!

badguider Sun 21-Apr-13 14:11:15

Yes, you can do it.
Start a 'couch to 5k TODAY or TOMORROW'. Just do it. If you do, you'll be running 5k in 8 weeks. That's the middle of June.

Then a 10k in roughly September.

Marathon places generally go out about xmas you'll want to be at about half-marathon fitness by then...

Not unrealistic at all.

5madthings Sun 21-Apr-13 14:14:46

Totally doable, my dp did it last year.

I started couch25k in feb and now run 7-8km three tines a week. Did my local parkrun yesterday and did the 5k in 31mins.

Am going to be doing the bupa 10k with the mnet woollyhugs team in may smile

Yonionekanobe Sun 21-Apr-13 14:14:56

You can do it!

Violet Zombie running us great fun - just don't do it running though a desolate industrial estate on a Sunday afternoon. Spooky!

5madthings Sun 21-Apr-13 14:18:09

I have lost a stone btw smile

CoteDAzur Sun 21-Apr-13 14:25:02

YANBU - You can do it!

I would recommend:
(1) Go for a (free) gait analysis and get good shoes with the support you need
(2) Read about running with a midfoot/forefoot strike
(3) Learn about proper stretching techniques and stretch your legs for about 10-15 minutes after every running session

If you will be training intensively over the next year, the above is very important to avoid injury.

Good luck smile

shufflehopstep Sun 21-Apr-13 14:34:48

A friend of mine did it twice. She lost 50lbs while training for it.

AvonCallingBarksdale Sun 21-Apr-13 14:36:51

Totally doable!! The only prob could be getting a place at London, unless you run for charity and pledge to raise a certain amount. Otherwise, there are heaps of other marathons to enter, here and abroad. But, in terms of training, totally achievable!

AmberLeaf Sun 21-Apr-13 14:40:02

Id love to run the marathon.

Not watched it [on TV] this year for the first time ever, but usually do and get all inspired, but have dodgy knees.

Lot's of inspiring tales here though, so go for it OP!

CoteDAzur Sun 21-Apr-13 14:54:01

Amber - I had dodgy knees when I started running. Then I found out I have an overpronation problem, which was corrected by better shoes with better support. No more dodgy knees.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now