Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think that this wasn't professional?

(16 Posts)
ipswitch Sun 21-Apr-13 08:35:04

I think YABU in suggesting that the woman doing this cosmetic treatment for you had any affiliation to any professional body, and therefore she cannot be considered a professional and should not be judged on her standards like a professional would be.

Sorry to be harsh ( and that the treatment did not work) but I hate the overuse of the term professional in this sort of context.

In life you generally get what you pay for.

kelly14 Sun 21-Apr-13 08:04:59

my teeth came out sparkling white, such a difference!, but i am with fleecy in that it hurt like hell!
didnt hurt during but after i couldnt even have a drink they was that sensitive, i ended up howling in pain all night long it was that bad.

I had this done years ago in Dubai by a very reputable dentists their and cost about 600 quid at the time!! so expensive but Was worth it for the outcome but after that experience i would never have it done again due to the pain.

Fleecy: it shouldn't. I'm a dentist, I whiten my teeth regularly and it doesn't hurt. If you want to have your teeth whitened you must see a dentist and get it done safely and legally.

Willdoit: I was cringing watching that too.

Fleecyslippers Sat 20-Apr-13 22:59:32

Real teeth whitening HURTS. Like REALLY HURTS. Never, ever again. This sounds like a complete rip off.

Willdoitinaminute Sat 20-Apr-13 22:43:00

Also they don't use a real laser. It's just a very bright light and doesn't do very much. It's all a bit smoke and mirrors.

Willdoitinaminute Sat 20-Apr-13 22:38:58

New legislation makes it illegal for anyone other than a dentist to carry out bleaching using hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide. The concentration of the hydrogen peroxide has also been restricted. You may find bleaching elsewhere but since they are no longer using peroxide the product is either ineffective or potentially damaging to teeth.

Pop up bleaching salons rely on the dehydrating effect on the tooth surface initially giving a very white colour. The teeth soon rehydrate by which time the salon has moved on.

I watched the bleaching done on the Gypsy programme the other night and was horrified by the lack of infection control. Anything used in the mouth has to be disposable or to be sterilised in an autoclave between uses including cheek retractors. I doubt that salons invest in £3000+ autoclave s just for sterilising the small number of reused instruments. Wiping with a tissue is unlikely to remove any pathogens. Would you be happy being the next customer. All sorts of unpleasant diseases are passed on orally.

babybarrister Colombia Sat 20-Apr-13 22:27:07

Low level of fine not much of a disincentive I would have thought ....

Unless she was a dentist or a hygienist acting on the instruction of a dentist she was also breaking the law.

Tryharder Sat 20-Apr-13 20:08:03

I don't think businesses hold their Groupon customers in high esteem. I have had shocking service when I have been to restaurants etc with a voucher.

WMittens Sat 20-Apr-13 19:43:59

There's a reason companies use Groupon to try and introduce business. You get what you pay for.

YABU.

Groupon is at least 75% rip-offs.

I just had one of these done and didn't think it did very much eithersad

FortyFacedFuckers Sat 20-Apr-13 19:29:22

It might be the place I went to she turned up 20 minutes late, sat and munched numerous packets of crisps and chocolate bars and chatted on the phone about having a hangover and the night out they had been on the night before shock

AgentZigzag Sat 20-Apr-13 19:14:07

She sounds quite entertaining if the alternative is to just sit and do FA.

What was she singing along to though?

If it was country and western YANBU grin

Ibelieveyoubutmytommygundont Sat 20-Apr-13 19:10:41

This week I had my teeth whitened (groupon ). It was a laser one and it was 3 sets of treatments in a row - all 20 minutes each. So quite long and boring just laying there on the chair for about an hour altogether.

The woman that was doing the whitening said I'll put some music on for you. She started singing along really loudly to the music and then started making phone calls asking about a recent job interview she'd gone for.

Aibu to think this wasn't very professional? (Or am I just pissed off because the treatment was just shit and didn't work? grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now