to have parked in Parent And Child space without a child?

(62 Posts)
JennifersBody Sat 20-Apr-13 18:03:10

Working ridciulously late last night and finished work at 1am (ish) - on the way home I drove by a 24 hour Tesco, I hadn't eaten dinner so I thought I would quickly go in and get something small to eat.

Go into the carpark (it was virtually dead) - there were about 10 P&C parking spaces with only one occupied. Parked there, went in store, was out in less than 10 minutes.

Got back to my car at the same time as the other owner of the other car had finished strapping a baby in and she asked me - wheres your child then? You do know that space is only allowed for parents with young children?

.. I started to reply and then she called me an ignorant cow and got in her car.

I was a bit shocked by it and thought that was a total over reaction.

<Btw I would never do this during the day time or early evening>

What a nutter!

CloudsAndTrees Sat 20-Apr-13 18:05:17

Yanbu.

smile

Jelly15 Sat 20-Apr-13 18:06:40

Yanbu, she is just a gobby cow.

Shelly32 Sat 20-Apr-13 18:08:27

At 1am , with lots of spaces free, I can't see the problem! I'd be annoyed and have questioned people in the past when having to lug my two across the car park due to selfish parking but this wasn't selfish parking. Plus the confrontational tone was OTT!

SirChenjin Sat 20-Apr-13 18:08:57

As someone who is usually incensed by people parking in P&C spaces when they don't have a car I can't see a problem with you doing this at 1am. In fact, I'd be more incensed with someone doing their food shopping at 1am with a child in tow grin <disclaimer: other drivers are probably unaware that I am incensed, unless they happen to catch a glimpse of the hard stare that I am giving them <wimp>>

JennifersBody Sat 20-Apr-13 18:09:03

Haha, oh good thank you! I thought I would get replies telling me I was entitled grin

Maybe she was just having a really bad day.

omletta Sat 20-Apr-13 18:13:03

I too incensed at people parking in these spaces without a car SirChenjin grin

ChaoticTranquility Sat 20-Apr-13 18:15:00

As someone who is usually incensed by people parking in P&C spaces when they don't have a car

What do they park then? confused wink

OP YANBU

ChaoticTranquility Sat 20-Apr-13 18:15:30

x post grin

Salmotrutta Sat 20-Apr-13 18:28:36

P&C spaces should be as far away from the door as possible.

They are only a courtesy and only for the removal of buggies/car seats etc. they are not for being close to the door.

Supermarkets should move those that are near doors and change them to disabled parking bays.

P&C spaces are a ridiculous concept anyway IMHO.

holidaysarenice Sat 20-Apr-13 18:37:03

I'd have laughed at her and said "does that child not have a bed?" In exactly the same judgey tone she used!!

Mean...me??

everlong Sat 20-Apr-13 18:39:13

1am with a baby?

Are you telling porkies OP wink

The correct response would have been

"OMG WHERE'S MY BABY?? YOU BITCH! HAVE YOU TOOK MY BABY??"

and then watch her panic.

SarahBumBarer Sat 20-Apr-13 18:42:27

Odd comment Salmonuttra. Why should supermarkets do anything? They put the P&C spaces where they want for the incentivisation of a group of customers that they particularly wish to encourage. Entirely up to them if they value this particular demographic and want to provide a "perk" to them in the way of larger/closer spaces surely? confused Most parents in any event just want a safe route to the shop not necessarily proximity.

OP - Yanbu! If people were just bloody sensible about these things life would be so much pleasanter.

You could have then chanted "I want ma baby back" in the style of Fat Bastard from the Austin Power's movies for added hilarity.

spottyparrot Sat 20-Apr-13 18:43:06

P&C spaces should not be as far from the door as possible. What a ridiculous thing to say.

Disabled should obv be closest, then P&C. I think it is desirable for P&C spaces to be near a walkway so children are not jay walking across the car park to get to the store. If you think a child can't be injured by a moving car even though they are holding a parent's hand - think again. I saw a big vehicle reverse quickly and a woman with 2 small dc had to drag kids and jump quickly to avoid. In my Tesco, disabled are lined up right outside the store and P & C are next to the side of the car park by a large pavement leading to the store. Works for everyone.

And no, I am not entitled or anything like that - I have no cause to use either disabled or P & C spaces. However, I do remember shopping with a small baby & toddler and it's hard enough without having to traipse over the whole car park.

Salmotrutta Sat 20-Apr-13 18:47:41

You might think its ridiculous to have them far away from the door spottyparrot - but I don't.

I think there should be more disabled parking bays at the door. Not P&C spaces.

They didnt even have them when mine were children.

Ignore me though, I'm very grumpy today.

AuntieMaggie Sat 20-Apr-13 18:52:27

At that time of night I have parked in P&C and even disabled spaces if there were no normal spaces near the door if I don't feel safe.

ShellyBoobs Sat 20-Apr-13 18:54:16

It's perfectly acceptable to park in P&C spaces, without a child, at any time of day or night.

ShellyBoobs Sat 20-Apr-13 18:56:05

I do remember shopping with a small baby & toddler and it's hard enough without having to traipse over the whole car park.

Yes, it must have been hell.

spottyparrot Sat 20-Apr-13 19:02:37

I didn't say it was hell. I said it was hard enough without adding unnecessary stuff to the job.

Supermarkets are businesses - they want their customers in there so set up their car parks accordingly. It's not rocket science. Have you read the thread in active conversations about young children in danger in car parks whilst parents are juggling stuff/bugges?

JennifersBody Sat 20-Apr-13 19:03:18

1am with a baby?

Yeah, baby looked very tiny still. She could have been driving so the baby would finally go to sleep, and thought - hey I need some milk valium grin

Salmotrutta Sat 20-Apr-13 19:05:02

That was poor parenting though.

Nothing to do with P&C spaces! They weren't watching the child so it wouldn't have mattered what type of parking space it was!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now