To ask about self-service checkout etiquette?

(31 Posts)
BeKindToYourKnees Sat 20-Apr-13 16:48:06

If you leave your basket to one side (where no one is going to notice it) surely you can't expect to go to the front of the queue when you return?

My SN comment was allowing for an older child running off, not that the mother would have SN.

If you briefly looked to check she wasn't coming back, and would otherwise have been staring at an unused till, YWNBU.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 20-Apr-13 18:51:42

With the latest drip feed she was BU as it was just you in front.

Age is relevant because if my 2 yo bolted in a shop I think I should go after her, a 12yo not.

If the queue had been long it would have been a bit harsh to make her go to the back and wait all over again with toddler/someone unable to function alone in shop.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 20-Apr-13 19:03:08

If I was queuing and the person infront briefly left the queue to chase a child or even to grab an item I'd let them back in front of me.

However if people leave the queue they have to accept that people might not and also that some people wouldn't even realise they'd left and come back.

Idocrazythings Sat 20-Apr-13 21:47:36

Doesn't sound like there was a queue though because only you were in it! I think in that case SWBU, and could have just gone after you. Sounds like you wandered up whilst she had gone AWOL. If the queue was busy, and she said to the person behind her, "sorry I've just got to get my child", or even "crap I forgot bread do you mind if I run and get it" I think that would be ok, to come back to her spot. I'm not culturally british though so I may be in the minority.

DoJo Sat 20-Apr-13 22:28:26

Unless she was employing a basket based version of this queueing system

KeatsiePie Sun 21-Apr-13 00:30:01

I've never seen anyone place-holding with a basket here but that's ridiculous. I bet she was fed up if she had just finished chasing her toddler and just wanted to get on with it, but doesn't entitle her to cut back into her old place in line. Honestly if I saw a basket on the side I'd think someone had abandoned it there and left the store.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now