Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Is school being unrassonable?

(88 Posts)
Vickibee Sat 20-Apr-13 13:13:14

We got a letter home friday stating we must collect our children at 315 instead of the usual 330 . This is because they are starting parents eve apps at 315. My work finishes at 3pm planned to fit school finishes and the earliest I can arrive is 325 as it is a 10 mile journey. My boss is really finicky over time and will not be happy about me leaving early but what else am I meant to do
Would parents be within their rights to complain about this to the LEA?

HedgeHogGroup Sat 20-Apr-13 19:39:45

Actually, you can't complain to the LA anymore anyway - Michael Gove has taken them out of the loop.
The system now goes
1. Teacher
2. Headteacher
3. Chair of Governors
4. Michael Gove

Don't hold your breath waiting for a decisive reply hmm

Vickibee Sat 20-Apr-13 19:21:41

The ht is in her forties with a 15 yo son

BottleRed76 Sat 20-Apr-13 19:02:42

YANBU
The school should give adequate notice.

kim147 Sat 20-Apr-13 18:14:53

Your head isn't some young male head with no family to look after?
Just a wild assumption grin

Euphemia Sat 20-Apr-13 18:11:22

Also, if appointments start the minute the children leave, does the poor teacher not get a chance to go to the toilet? Middle aged teacher with poor bladder alert.

Euphemia Sat 20-Apr-13 18:09:05

I'm a teacher and I think the school is being unreasonable - I've never heard such nonsense! We are contracted to do parents' evenings - til 9pm if necessary! The amount of notice is unfair too - it seems to assume that parents are sitting at home with nothing better to do.

Could it be something like the school has to start paying for use of the building after 5pm? Here, the council charges us (or anyone else, like Rainbows/Brownies) after 6pm.

storynanny Sat 20-Apr-13 17:38:23

Ps very unfair of the head teacher also to make their teachers do parents evening straight after a days work, without even time for a quick wee and cup of tea.

storynanny Sat 20-Apr-13 17:36:50

Spaniel eyes, everything about your post is totally correct!

spanieleyes Sat 20-Apr-13 17:17:27

Seems a bit daft just to start 15 minutes early then! You could only see one, possibly two parents in 15 minutes and in doing so manage to hack off the rest! I'd just turn up at the normal time, the school can't turn your child out onto the streets.

storynanny Sat 20-Apr-13 17:14:34

Hi vickibee, teacher here. It's very unreasonable to give such short notice as it would have been a decision made earlier in the week. You would be perfectly entitled to let the school know that in future( because I suspect it will happen again) more notice is required for working parents to make alternative arrangements.
However re other postings about hours worked. Most schools do more than the legal minimum so this sort of arrangement and finishing early at end of term etc, is most likely to be legal.

minnisota Sat 20-Apr-13 16:58:32

Spaniel-if i've read it right, each teacher is spreading their appointments over five days between 3.15 & 4.30.
So while OP only neds to go on Thursday, she needs to pick up early each day at 3.15 to accomodate the teacher seeing other people at that time.
Imo yanbu, i would be annoyed too

sarahtigh Sat 20-Apr-13 16:56:41

spanieleyes of course it is for 5 nights they want all children away at 3,15 so they can start appointments at 3,15 every day not just the day when OP has her appointment

the government expect parents to work while schools are not free childcare they do need to realise that work is not optional and that in the vast majority of jobs time keeping is not flexible and may people commute (the government considers 90 minute commute reasonable)

it is the lack of thought; it is not an emergency; parents evening were not decided on friday they could easily have given a months notice but told people on friday evening for monday it seems like 3 days which is short enough but in practice because work can't in most cases be informed till 8/9am on monday in reality it is about 6 hours notice

the school have been thoughtless and selfish, it is supposed to be a pupil/school/parent partnership not a test of parental flexibility on the whim of the school

i am a dentist while of course i could leave if my DD was rushed to hospital i can't rearrange appointments because school decides to finish early, i certainly could not rearrange for this

Pozzled Sat 20-Apr-13 16:54:45

spanieleyes I assumed that all classes are finishing early every day, so teachers can see parents after school and not have to stay late. Vickibee is that what's happening?

spanieleyes Sat 20-Apr-13 16:43:22

But it's not every night in the week for you is it, just the Thursday when it is your daughter's class ( unless you have 5 daughters, one in each class!)

Vickibee Sat 20-Apr-13 16:41:43

Thanks for replies, I will get there as quick as I can and do my best

Theas18 Sat 20-Apr-13 15:58:57

Don't worry, just let school know you can't collect before the end of a normal school day. This is a daft last minute ill planned change which will be an issue for many parents, so they'll have to have them in the hall watching a DVD or something.

It is not actually unusual for parents to work till the lady minute to get to primary school pick up.I used to. It was already working across lunch.there isn't spare capacity to suddenly change hours like this.

If they'd given notice at the same time parents evening dates were given then it might be ok but I think not.

MrsMelons Sat 20-Apr-13 15:54:19

YANBU, I don't think its the same thing as teachers arranging for childcare on parents evening as that is a scheduled part of the job.

This sounds a very odd thing to do - if school finishes at 330 it should finish at 330 unless a one off, I like you have arranged to finish work at a particular time to fit around the school runs so would be a bit irritated if I had to change a whole weeks hours for the sake of parents evening finishing 15 minutes earlier. DSs school do parents evening till 7pm when they do it and provide normal after care for the children.

Jinty64 Sat 20-Apr-13 15:49:02

Could you not work through lunch and leave early?

Pozzled Sat 20-Apr-13 14:54:59

I wonder if anyone mentioned there might be a problem in the staff meeting to discuss this?

kim147 At my school this kind of thing would be decided by the SMT, with very little discussion. I suspect though that the school have made plans for the children who can't be collected early, but don't wish to advertise this. If parents think it's optional they won't do it.

Startail Sat 20-Apr-13 14:54:01

Just be late, most of us take DCs to parents evening anyway so there's always a gang of kids banking about chatting in the corridor.

SwishSwoshSwoosh Sat 20-Apr-13 14:51:47

I would ask them what arrangements are for parents who cannot do this.

I would create a massive stink tbh, this is seriously rude. Parents need to be able to work.

lljkk Sat 20-Apr-13 14:50:10

ime just let the school know you'll be running 15 min. late & it won't be a big deal to anyone. Child can wait on a chair outside HT's office.

landofsoapandglory Sat 20-Apr-13 14:41:24

I would just turn up at 3.30 as normal. They won't send him off home on his own.

BlackeyedSusan Sat 20-Apr-13 14:29:15

no. thaay are being unreasonaable to give you so little notice. (ex teacher.) i would not have been happy to have fielded the parents complaints because of the head teacher. having parents evenings at that time is unrealistic, though it would be nice not to have them til 8.30 in the evening, but finishing at 4.15?

kim147 Sat 20-Apr-13 14:28:42

I wonder if anyone mentioned there might be a problem in the staff meeting to discuss this?

A bit like our head who expected all 7 year olds to be in school at 9am the day after a school concert trip which got back past midnight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now