Was I unreasonable to inform DH...

(19 Posts)
LadyFlumpalot Sat 20-Apr-13 08:36:23

In the middle of a night time hour long temper tantrum as thrown by our 2.4 year old, that it was NOT an appropriate time for him to tell me how HIS MOTHER would have handled it...

Apparently I was being unreasonable.

I was not rude, I was not nasty, I merely hissed "I do not need to be told, right now, how your mother brought you up. Your mother is not me. Not is she here, awake at THREE SODDING AM."

Was this unreasonable of me?

pictish Sat 20-Apr-13 08:37:09

Maybe a little? wink

DevonCiderPunk Sat 20-Apr-13 08:38:42

YANBU. Unsolicited advice is rarely welcome. At 3am during a toddler tantrum, it's about as welcome as a plutonium flapjack.

FancyPuffin Sat 20-Apr-13 08:38:49

Hells no shock

At 3am I would have suggested his mother sprout wings and fly up my arse.

NewAtThisMalarky Sat 20-Apr-13 08:39:26

Oh god no. If he wants to deal with it the way his mother would, leave him to it.

I'd have let him handle it, if he knows better wink

lecce Sat 20-Apr-13 08:39:52

YANBU. Why did dh not send you back to bed so he could take over and deal with it in the way his mother would have?

AcrylicPlexiglass Sat 20-Apr-13 08:40:03

Yes. You should have said "Superb. I will go back to bed while you put her wonderful principles into practice. Night night."

StayAwayFromTheEdge Sat 20-Apr-13 08:40:12

I would have told DH to deal with it his Mothers way as I was crawling back under the duvet grin

DevonCiderPunk Sat 20-Apr-13 08:41:25

Chuckling at the mental picture FancyPuffin has painted for us...

LadyFlumpalot Sat 20-Apr-13 08:41:46

In the (slightly grey) light of day I think I probably was a bit on reflection, especially as DH is up with DS and I'm still in bed! wink

I think I probably owe him an apology and an explanation that at three am it is not a good idea to talk to me, let alone tell me how my MIL would do things better. grin

LadyFlumpalot Sat 20-Apr-13 08:43:18

FancyPuffin. Marry me?

NewAtThisMalarky Sat 20-Apr-13 08:44:26

Haha, love it!

Op: AIBU

most people: NO!

Op: yes I am

LadyFlumpalot Sat 20-Apr-13 08:46:59

Ahhhh NewAtThis, it's more that I can appreciate that he want being deliberately malicious, just a bit daft with his timings. I love my H immensely, but I do know he is a bit of a numpty.

MummytoKatie Sat 20-Apr-13 08:49:20

"Ah - excellent. Sounds like you have it all in hand then. Nighty night."

And go back to bed.

DevonCiderPunk Sat 20-Apr-13 08:51:04

Ah that's good. Your DH was BU and maybe you didn't handle that as skilfully as you would have liked, but 3am tantrums do not lend themselves to smooth talk.

Forgiveness all round (and a big pot of hot coffee)

NewAtThisMalarky Sat 20-Apr-13 08:51:30

I'm not criticising, I'm just really enjoying the fact that you are totally the opposite of some mnetters, that refuse to think they ABU despite a landslide of people saying they are.

You sound lovely!

EggsMichelle Sat 20-Apr-13 08:51:35

FancyPuffin I will be using that when I get unsolicited advice (I can think of a particular family member)

YANBU

FancyPuffin Sat 20-Apr-13 09:10:22

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now