To not want to sit in the bastard DARK!?

(45 Posts)
NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 19-Apr-13 22:25:06

DH always puts the fucking light off....in the sitting room. He does it when we're watching a film or he is.

I think it's selfish and I've had a paddy and left him in there. This was meant to be our night together and he's HAD to do it even though he knows I hate it.

If you want darkness GO TO SLEEP! AIBU to think it's hugely selfish?

SoniaGluck Sat 20-Apr-13 16:24:02

YANBU. I hate watching telly in the dark. It's just not something I've ever been used to.

Years ago DH's (French) nieces came to stay with us for the Summer. Apparently it is impossible to watch telly unless the lights were turned off. Drove me scatty.

They also seemed to think that if there was a film on - any old film - it was going to be good and a definite must see. hmm

HerrenaHarridan Sat 20-Apr-13 14:46:16

Thank you op, everyone had always told me that having all lights off improves the viewing experience but it just makes me unable to look at the only source of light.

Now I know I am not alone.

Get a lamp, sit next to it smile

ScrambledSmegs Sat 20-Apr-13 13:01:59

I'd buy one of those head-lamp things and whip it out whenever he turns out the lights.

I am very childish though.

Hulababy Sat 20-Apr-13 10:52:12

You both need to compromise.
A small table/floor lamp or some candles. If you don't want the hassle of wax then there are lots of battery operated candles about with the same kind of flickering effect.

WMittens Sat 20-Apr-13 10:49:00

But it's difficult to walk out of a room when you're angry without displaying the body language you're having a bit of a flounce WM.

That's where the growing comes in - don't be angry.

And why waste the opportunity to non-aggressively get your point across?

Flouncing out is aggressive - it's the opposite of calm; it's just no violent (which seemed to be a (tongue in cheek) alternative you suggested).

Walking out as though nothing was wrong when he was clearly being an arse would be a bit doormat passive to me.

I'm only basing my views on your posts obviously, but you seem to have a very "win-lose" view of this situation (and maybe others?). Your posts and suggestions indicate an extremely competitive 'one-up' and aggressive attitude; I'm advocating side-stepping the conflict between OP and husband, rather than reinforcing it.

AgentZigzag Sat 20-Apr-13 10:38:35

But it's difficult to walk out of a room when you're angry without displaying the body language you're having a bit of a flounce WM.

And why waste the opportunity to non-aggressively get your point across?

Walking out as though nothing was wrong when he was clearly being an arse would be a bit doormat passive to me.

ChippingInLovesSpring Sat 20-Apr-13 09:59:52

Obviously it's an ongoing issue where neither of you are right and neither of you are wrong... so why haven't you discussed this and come up with a compromise before now - why keep arguing about it? Seems daft to me.

Jestrin Sat 20-Apr-13 09:56:12

My DH does this too! It used to be annoying but I've got used to it. He puts up with much more annoying stuff from me and the DC that I've let him have this one. grin

freddiefrog Sat 20-Apr-13 09:52:27

I hate watching tv in the dark, it makes my eyes feel grotty and I get a shocking headache. The cinema does the same.

I hate to have lights on at home. We have a friend who comes round and starts turning all the lights off, drives me nuts.

And yes to not having the main ceiling might on, DH always turns it on, but lamps all the way for me

WMittens Sat 20-Apr-13 09:43:26

AgentZigzag

"Some might see it as storming off in an immature huff, others that the OP did the 'mature' thing by removing herself from the situation before she clocked her DH with the nearest lamp."

It's perfectly possible (and ultimately preferable) to remove oneself from that situation without the huff; the huff made it immature, and overall counterproductive (in my limited opinion).

BenjaminButton172 Sat 20-Apr-13 08:57:26

When you go to the cinema you sit amd watch the film with the light off.

Maybe your dh likes to think hes at the cinema.

Iaintdunnuffink Sat 20-Apr-13 08:01:45

Get a small side light?

I don't do TV in the dark either OP. My Dh knows not to turn out all the lights unless he wants to get up around 3am and get me some migraine meds. I does a number on my eyes and drives me nuts.
I never got the attraction of the pitch dark to watch TV at a minimum lamps are needed, the more the better in my opinion.

NewAtThisMalarky Sat 20-Apr-13 05:58:38

In order to watch some films (and Doctor Who), the room needs to be darker so you can see what is on the screen. It's very rare that it needs to be in total darkness though (although I have seen one or two films that I've needed to be in darkness in order to see the detail).

We have a floor lamp that can you can adjust the brightness of which we use when watching films etc. maybe you should get something like that?

I don't see any difference in selfishness between insisting the light is on and insisting the light is off to be honest. You did say you were both watching the film, and havd different preferences.

Maybe take up knitting or crochet so you can legitimately say you need the light on?

CSIJanner Sat 20-Apr-13 04:50:32

Neo - do you like nighttime driving or do you find that the headlights are too much? I do and had my eyes checked and apparently a certain% if the population cannot deal with lights in darkness as their eyes cannot 'scatter' (my opticians words not mine) the light beam so that it doesn't hurt their eyes.

If this is what you're finding, then your HIBU as sitting in the complete darkness to watch the box in the corner can hurt your eyes and potentially do them harm if if keeps happening. Sit him down and explain, and possibly get your optician to have a word with him if you can. HTH

FairPhyllis Sat 20-Apr-13 04:33:01

YANBU. I hate watching TV like this. I can't see it properly if there's no background light - the light of the TV goes all flared for me if it's the only light source in the room.

Brittabot Sat 20-Apr-13 00:13:23

I do this! I prefer to watch films that way, it recreates a cinema environment and discourages anyone from talking to me. I'm happy to talk at other times, but not during films or good telly.

AgentZigzag Sat 20-Apr-13 00:04:20

'"I've had a paddy and left him in there" makes me think she needs to do some growing up.'

Some might see it as storming off in an immature huff, others that the OP did the 'mature' thing by removing herself from the situation before she clocked her DH with the nearest lamp.

Personally, I'd sit there switching the light on while he was switching it off grin but the head lamp thing would be just as acceptable.

notso Fri 19-Apr-13 23:56:13

DH does this, he gets it from PIL you need farking night vision goggles in their house once the sun goes down.

thistlelicker Fri 19-Apr-13 23:54:14

I hate the ceiling light on!!! I'd rather sit in dark than have it on!!!

Apileofballyhoo Fri 19-Apr-13 23:53:08

DH does this too. So annoying. YANBU. But mainly NBU because it's supposed to be your shared time together and he knows you hate it. Hurtful.

isn't that bad for your eyes?

VerySmallSqueak Fri 19-Apr-13 23:32:53

Mine turns all the lights in the house off when we watch films like '28 weeks later.'
As we are rural there is little light filtering in from outside so it's pitch black.

He then wonders why I'm too scared to go to the loo alone!

YANBU.

yonisparechangemr Fri 19-Apr-13 23:30:21

So it's not just mines then! grin

Op I share your pain thanks

notsoyoniface Fri 19-Apr-13 23:25:01

Eh? I may have taken this the wrong way... but you are both watching a film or the telly, and he has turned the light off so you can watch said film or TV programme without distraction. And that's wrong?

It's your night together... in the dark... have some fun in the dark, don't post here... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now