To not go to ExDPs family do and also no let him take DS alone?

(41 Posts)
appleballoon Fri 19-Apr-13 19:35:53

Ex DP has a family do next month up in Scotland (we live in Cornwall, so quite a trek) to celebrate his gran's birthday. He mentioned this a while ago but has up until about a week ago not known what the exact date is. He wanted our DS who is 20 months old to go (with me) to this do.

However, I am a student and the date of this party is bang in the middle of extremely important end of year exams. I feel I need to focus and will be massively stressed around this time as it is without having to deal with traveling with a toddler and dealing with a load of ex's family members who I don't really know and who have never taken any interest in DS.

Basically I told ex today that I will not be able to go to this thing. He is massively angry, calling me a disgrace and selfish etc,.

As a back story he left me when I was pregnant and is generally an undermining, passive aggressive little shit who gives me a hard time constantly about the tidiness of my house, how I look after DS while being pretty feckless himself (for example leaving DS unattended in the bath a couple of weeks ago and not helping me)

I don't want to go to this stupid do. I don't feel I owe him or his family my attendance. I have important exams around that time. I don't want him to take DS on his own just because I feel he is too young to be away from me for such along time and also he doesnt really know his dad's family that well.

AIBU?

YANBU- but I think you should offer to take him up another weekend to see his gran.

MajaBiene Fri 19-Apr-13 21:53:09

No way. It's too far, for too long, he doesn't know DS well enough and you don't trust that he'll be safe.

I was going to post a rant but WhereYouLeftIt summed it up perfectly.

During his contact time he can take your dc where ever he chooses. If he doesnt have time to do that he should be increasing contact.
Good luck with your exams!

Droflove Fri 19-Apr-13 22:47:39

YABU I think. I also believe that as his daddy he has full rights to bring the child himself. Totally understand you don't want to go. Unfortunately even if he doesn't exercise his right to spend time with his child, it is no less his child.

MajaBiene Fri 19-Apr-13 22:49:31

What a horrible attitude that parents have "rights" over their children however little responsibility they choose to take for them!

NomNomDePlum Fri 19-Apr-13 22:56:29

droflove, her ex doesn't have 'rights' as such, and it is not in the best interests of a small child to take them out of familiar surroundings and away from their primary carer on a punitively long journey with someone who does not know how to care for a small child properly. it may be unfortunate that the child's father has not previously established a sufficient bond (you can't do this with an afternoon less than once a week with a baby) or learned how to take proper care of him (and it may not be the father's fault, even) but it is still the case that this would be an incredibly stressful thing to do to a twenty month old and it wbu of the op to allow it.

DontSHOUTTTTTT Fri 19-Apr-13 23:06:20

How about letting your Ex have your DS for a few nights over the next couple of weeks. This would let him and your Ex to bond. It would help your Ex to understand what is involved with looking after your DS. it would give you time to revise and would also give you time to get used tony having your son around.

You can all see how it goes and decide what o do closer to the date. I really don't get the view that little kids need to be with their Mums more than be with their Dads.

sarahtigh Fri 19-Apr-13 23:08:06

the OP does give the impression she knew this was happenning for a while just the precise date so obviously knew when it was within a window of a couple of weeks ie it would be a weekend just before on or just after the birthday, so my assumption is she knew it would be in examine time

I also do not know whether father cotact is 2-3 times a month because that is all he can be bothered with or whether it is because OP is reluectant to allow more contact and tries to avoid it

however I do understand her nervousness about trip away

also he needs to get to know the ex's family they may well be lovely people, your DS has a right to get to know them, how will he ever get to know them if he can't visit because he does not know them well; a bit of a catch 22,

booked early enough in advance it is quite possible to fly to inverness from bristol southhampton etc so that maybe qucker and easier for your son

deleted203 Fri 19-Apr-13 23:09:07

YADDNBU. He's a twat. Why the fuck should you go buggering off to Scotland in the middle of your exams because some twat who left you when you were pregnant decides you ought to?

And even if he weren't a tosser who left a 20 month old in the bath alone I wouldn't let him take my DS. It is too far and he is too little, doesn't see enough of his father to feel secure with him, and doesn't need to be hauled off to strangers 100s of miles away from his mother just so Ex can pretend to be a 'great dad'.

Those posters saying 'after your exams you should go up to Scotland so that DS can meet the other half of his family'...Why the fuck should you? He's your ex. You don't owe him anything. And if the Scottish relatives are that desperate to meet their grandson/nephew then why don't they make plans for a summer holiday in Cornwall? They could visit the baby then - rather than demanding that you (on your student budget) make the trip up there.

Ex is a complete prick, IMO. Tell him you owe him fuck all - and he's got a fucking nerve to expect you to do him any favours whatsoever. The only way I'd be going (after exams) is if he was paying for my first class fare, hotel bill, food, etc. Otherwise Mohammed can come to the bloody mountain...

seriouscakeeater Fri 19-Apr-13 23:14:27

YANBU

quoteunquote Fri 19-Apr-13 23:19:04

Suggest he takes a plane, Exeter to Edinburgh/Glasgow he can go up one day and back the next.

ChasedByBees Fri 19-Apr-13 23:25:48

I'm in the YANBU camp. This doesn't sound in your sons beat interests. How is he going to manage a 10 hour journey with a toddler?!

MagicHouse Fri 19-Apr-13 23:30:38

YANBU - there's no way you should be expected to go to an ex's family celebration in the middle of your exams - that's just ridiculous. As for your DS going alone - I think it's too far and too long and quite overwhelming for a first overnight contact. (And also not appropriate if he thinks leaving a 20 month old unsupervised in the bath is ok) Your ex should have thought about this ages in advance, built up to overnight stays and started showing much more responsibility, if it meant so much to him. Stick to your guns.

quesadilla Sat 20-Apr-13 09:00:52

YANBU. Your exams are more important than this particular event. I think longer term though you are going to have to figure out whether you are comfortable with leaving your DS with your ex. If you have serious concerns about his ability to look after your son you need to sit him down when things are calmer and say to him that you want him to have a relationship with his son but he has to step up a bit and show he is up to it. I think on a longer term basis your ex is reasonable in wanting his DS to get to know his family but he shouldn't be trying to bounce you into doing things you aren't comfortable with and bullying you when you don't fall into line.

sowornout makes a good point - why does your ex want to take DS to Scotland for this family party? OP has already said that his family "have never taken any interest in DS." Cornwall is a nice place to visit for a holiday, so why in 20 months have they not done so? Probably can't be bothered with the ten hour journey ex wants to subject a small child to. So if they're not gagging to see DS, it can only be as sowornout suggests - "just so Ex can pretend to be a 'great dad'."

Really, really, not a good enough reason. At all. DS is not a trophy to be paraded to a bunch of strangers. And since they haven't visited Cornwall, it's been their choice to be strangers.

CecilyP Sat 20-Apr-13 11:38:33

Everyone seems to be thinking that this will be an opportunity for DS to meet his dad's family, but I took it to be that the ex's gran was the party-girl, so ex's mum and cousins etc may, in fact, be nearer anyway. Perhaps OP could clarify.

However, YANBU, your 20 month-old will get very little by attending this party of what will be that of his great grandmother. This sounds like it has been recently arranged and somewhat a whim for your ex to take DS. By all means take your DS to meet the other half of his family at a time convenient to you at a later date. However maintaining a relationship with them will need effort on both sides.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now