to think that smoking weed is distasteful?

(105 Posts)

My best friend recently revealed that she smokes a lot of weed, as does her new boyfriend and most of her friends.
My OH also knows a lot of weed-smokers but doesn't himself.
It seems like it is more common than I thought, a little like smoking tobacco.

I have never smoked weed (which means that I'm not allowed to judge in my best friends opinion) and do think less of people who do.

It stinks, kills brain cells and, of course, is illegal.

If you need to relax have a cup of tea, do some yoga or some other legal, less smelly hobby.

AIBU to dislike weed and the casual attitude surrounding this drug?

(be nice! I'm not an evil witch trying to squash fun)

DidyouseeEthel Sat 20-Apr-13 21:26:32

I was a teacher for many years, of 16 to 19 year olds, and the (almost instant) effect of them taking skunk was heart breaking. Anxiety and panic attacks, loss of concentration, lowering of their A-level grades and university options etc.
What I don't understand is parents taking this drug - don't you realise that you are contributing to a culture/economy that is devastating the lives of thousands of our teenagers? Are you kidding yourselves that you're not? Is that how you're able to justify it?

rainbowfeet Sun 21-Apr-13 15:55:13

While I agree there are people with addictive personalities to whom alcohol could also be a problem & alcohol certainly isn't harmless! But when it is being supplied & purchased you are not funding some very dangerous & violent gangs, who are also into weapon supplying, prostitution, protection rackets, people trafficking etc.. I am simply using my experience to comment on a post. I know a few people my generation & older that have smoked cannabis simply as a social activity with no (seemingly) adverse problems but the majority of those enjoyed being high so much that cannabis wasn't enough for them & they dabbled in harder drugs. Which is a risky business as they are illegal & around that time especially with E's there was a danger of health problems.
What I don't like is the idea of smoking cannabis being normalized as it seems to be particularly in the area I live in.. I don't like having to come out of my flat & have to smell it in the communal lobby, (or more to the point have my kids smell it) I don't like having to walk past people smoking it openly in the street!! I can't speak for where other people live but this new strong skunk is producing a generation of bummed out, droopy eyed, zombie-fied young people who are not smoking it as a social high after work they are smoking it instead of work & fueling their depression & how down they are on life!! Don't shoot me down for this next comment but you only have to watch Jeremy Kyle to see this & how normalized its getting!! I don't want my daughter to think it is normal & acceptable!!!

aldiwhore Mon 22-Apr-13 21:11:59

didyouseeEthel As someone who likes a spliff occassionally, I can agree with you that taking anything that alters your state of mind whilst your brain is still developing is not a good idea.

I have no issue with alcohol, but strong alcohol is different, strong alcohol on young bodies is not good.

Skunk is not your regular garden variety of cannabis, it's bred to be strong, super strong, I don't like it.

There are plenty of horror stories about cannabis in general, but I know many many more people who've had no issues with it than I know those who have had major issues, I also know many many more people who've had issues with alcohol.

Smudging Mon 22-Apr-13 21:35:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mother2many Tue 23-Apr-13 18:09:55

I am currently dealing with my son and his g/f that smoke it constantly. He is 23. I can guess they spend $400 a month on it. Their rent is $1,000. And they can't afford it. They have lost their internet/cell phones, etc...but manage to find money for drugs. Weed.

I also don't like the smell.

While standing in any line, grocery store, movie theatre, whatever, I can pick out who just finishing smoking a bunch of pot.

I know if I walk into a business and the person behind the counter just had some.

Here in Canada it is illegal. But found everywhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now