to think that smoking weed is distasteful?

(105 Posts)

My best friend recently revealed that she smokes a lot of weed, as does her new boyfriend and most of her friends.
My OH also knows a lot of weed-smokers but doesn't himself.
It seems like it is more common than I thought, a little like smoking tobacco.

I have never smoked weed (which means that I'm not allowed to judge in my best friends opinion) and do think less of people who do.

It stinks, kills brain cells and, of course, is illegal.

If you need to relax have a cup of tea, do some yoga or some other legal, less smelly hobby.

AIBU to dislike weed and the casual attitude surrounding this drug?

(be nice! I'm not an evil witch trying to squash fun)

TenBitSailor Sat 20-Apr-13 12:07:02

But according to the legislators of the country in which I live, it is.

LaMaga Sat 20-Apr-13 12:15:10

I have never taken any kind of illegal drugs and I feel I can say YANBU.Weed stinks.

I think it looks sad unless you are a teenager trying to be a 'grown up'. Trying to be 'cool' should be left to teenagers same as people wearing clothes that makes them look 'young' and we are too polite to say it doesn't look good on them

On the other hand, as long as they don't do it in my presence, I don't care.

Disclaimer: I enjoyed gas and air at the hospital.

YANBU to dislike anything that is a choice behaviour.

However yabu to think that those feelings are anything other than personal to you.

My DH likes weed, he feels its part of his culture to some extent, and has it a few times a month, maybe more. I indulge every so often as do lots of our friends. We like it and enjoy ourselves, I can't see why its any different to alcohol?

We generally wouldn't make a roll with much or any tobacco.

Also all this stuff about the smell, I REALLY like it. I love smelling clothes after someone's smoked it so again its all subjective.

janey68 Sat 20-Apr-13 12:28:58

Oh yes- gas and air rocks grin

Xiaoxiong Sat 20-Apr-13 12:33:57

YANBU to think it is distasteful. I hate the smell of weed. I hate the smell of cigarettes too (don't get me started on cigars). And the awful next-day stale smell of someone when they've had too much to drink.

Nothing to do with the legality of any of these activities!!

janey68 Sat 20-Apr-13 12:34:13

I don't think it is much different to alcohol tig. In fact tbh I think many of us would agree that alcohol is a more worrying issue, because since the very sensible smoking ban, we don't all end up reeking of stale smoke; smoking is only a problem to the smoker and I guess their children as its impossible to eliminate from clothes completely. Binge drinking on the other hand can affect those around you, and even when it's not at binge level it's pretty tedious socially being with people who need a prop to relax

DeepRedBetty Sat 20-Apr-13 12:47:19

So often those who want to justify using cannabis and other illegal drugs recreationally bring out the 'alcohol is legal and far more dangerous' argument. Balls. They're all dangerous in different ways and I'd love to see alcohol much more severely controlled, it's ridiculously cheap in comparative terms.

I have no argument against the use of cannabis therapeutically, it is clearly very effective in some cases of chronic pain.

this

differentnameforthis Sat 20-Apr-13 13:26:20

I have to be hmm at those who have said they smoked it in their youth & 'had a blast", almost like saying that they had a better time than those who didn't smoke it.

I had a blast too in my younger days, didn't need drugs to do it though.

Iwantmybed Sat 20-Apr-13 13:31:21

I enjoy a joint as much as a glass of wine. I love the herbal sweet smell too. However for me, its not a social thing to do, I wouldn't do it around / with friends so none know that I partake. Its a chillout thing that wears off within a few hours and doesn't give hangovers, unlike alcohol.
There are pearl clutchers all over to show their distaste over most things in life, yawn

janey68 Sat 20-Apr-13 13:39:18

I don't think anyone clutching pearls lol! To be fair, most of us are saying we've every sympathy for sick people who use it for pain relief, and that it's a non issue for others if informed adults choose to do it in their home. I think it's more the case that it's a bit tedious when some people seem to want to kid themselves it's something other than what it is, that's all. It's smoking. If you want to do it, fine, but tell it like it is! Reminds me of a lovely and slightly hippy friend who used to smoke rollies, the occasional joints and other herbal stuff and 'prided' himself on the fact that he wasn't smoking 'ordinary unnatural nasty cigarettes full of chemicals '!! Yes really- and totally without irony!!

reelingintheyears Sat 20-Apr-13 13:41:19

I am surprised you didn't know that she smokes alot of weed if she's you best friend,and i'm guessing you see quite alot of her.

IME,people who smoke alot of weed STINK of it.

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Sat 20-Apr-13 13:50:19

Smoking weed is lame. Coke however, is amazing.

PseudoBadger Sat 20-Apr-13 14:00:12

Oh I love a good can of coke.

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Sat 20-Apr-13 14:05:13

Cans are a bit common. I get those little bottles. They make me feel like I am on holiday.

maddening Sat 20-Apr-13 14:54:31

Personally imo if you put weed next to alcohol and looked at which should be illegal it would be alcahol every time.

maddening Sat 20-Apr-13 14:57:16

Good for you different - but the statement you picked on does not state that the people "had a blast as they smoked weed and they are surw that anyone who didn't smoke it didn't" reckon you're taking offence for the sake of it.

Crinkle77 Sat 20-Apr-13 15:57:22

I don't smoke it but it doesn't bother me if other people want to smoke it. It may be illegal but is it really any more harmful than tobacco or alcohol? These two legal drugs kill thousands every year. Alcohol is responsible for so much anti-social behaviour and violent crime etc... yet they bring in a fortune for the government so have not been banned.

RiffyWammal Sat 20-Apr-13 16:09:07

I have MS and initially tried weed to see how it might help my symptoms, but I can't pretend that's why I continue to do it because I don't at present have the kind of symptoms that cannabis is said to ease IYSWIM. I do it because I like it, simple as that. I don't have an awful lot of fun otherwise as I am stuck in the house, I don't like alcohol, and weed is something to look forward to doing at the weekend with DH. It's not hurting anyone else, certainly not if it comes from small home farms which mine is, and if it comes from larger operations staffed by exploited immigrants it's no worse than buying cheap sweatshop-manufactured clothes from Primark in my opinion.

I live in a detached house so the impact on my neighbours is not an issue. My kids are all old enough to not require supervision so that's not an issue either. The illegality of cannabis is a pain, and I would love to see it legalised, but it doesn't put me off as I am convinced that it's only illegal because it can't be controlled or taxed by the government. I certainly see alcohol as a far greater problem to individuals and society as a whole. I know it's not harmless health-wise, but believe life is to be enjoyed, and few enjoyable things come without any risk. Life is about balancing risks everyday.

I really don't care if other people find my cannabis use distasteful or immoral and if I examined their lives I would probably discover things that I would judge as undesirable and wouldn't do myself. But I wouldn't presume to tell them how to behave unless they were negatively affecting other people.

I agree it bloomin' stinks though. That's one thing I don't like about - that and how it makes me want to work my way through the fridge and food cupboards!

janey68 Sat 20-Apr-13 16:12:12

I agree that alcohol can be just as dangerous. To me, it's not really a matter of whether it's 'distasteful' because frankly most people don't give a shit what adults choose to do in their own home. It's the misconceptions and self denial which are worrying- eg people who think smoking weed without tobacco is non harmful, which is bollocks- cannabis smoke is harmful just as tobacco smoke is!

For a sick person, the benefits of weed may outweigh the harmful effects. But let's at least get facts straight. Smoking is harmful. Alcohol can be harmful too.

rainbowfeet Sat 20-Apr-13 16:26:08

I detest it too.. The only thing in defense of the old school smokers back in their younger days (15 plus years ago) is that the older grass type or resin was not like the skunk that is smoked now. Which is stronger & smells awful! I do not believe the argument however that it is less harmful than alcohol & it makes people docile & happy! In the I'd say 20 plus people I know that smoke it all but 1 or 2 have not gone on to try harder drugs or have some lasting mental health issue. It is also about the suppliers too & the chain of criminals that supply it, along that chain their are violent gangs! I know families that have teenage children & smoke it openly in front of them, I hate that, my daughter is 10 & thankfully doesn't know what it is & I'd rather she didn't! It makes me angry when people smoke it so openly in the street too!! hmm

PimpMyHippo Sat 20-Apr-13 16:39:31

I have no issue with it, and I really find it incomprehensible that alcohol and tobacco are legal when weed isn't (either they should all be legal, or all illegal!). I do feel a bit concerned for people who use it heavily to self-medicate for MH problems, purely because I've known quite a lot of people for whom this has ended very badly. Again though, the same can be said for alcohol - both can be dangerous if overused (although alcohol has far worse implications for physical health). I have never touched it myself, and never would, because I have MH problems already and I worry that any mind-altering substance would make them worse - this is also the reason I don't really drink. Disliking it purely because it's illegal seems a bit silly to me - at the end of the day, the law is just a set of arbitrary rules which frequently change. As someone's already mentioned, homosexuality used to be illegal, but now it's illegal to discriminate against someone because of their sexuality - a complete u-turn. If there was any sense behind drug laws, alcohol would be an illegal drug (given how harmful it can be) - but you don't have a problem with alcohol?

Remotecontrolduck Sat 20-Apr-13 16:49:49

I have never smoked anything, and very rarely drank alcohol at any point in my life (not a big fan of the taste). I've had a fantastic time without them and don't particularly understand why people do them to excess but each to their own.

If you're best friends with her and haven't actually noticed until now then I dont think it's really worth thinking about too much. YANBU though, it really does stink.

maddening Sat 20-Apr-13 18:05:52

Rainbow - I know 2 people who died of alcoholism and 1 person who has been sectioned due to long standing alcohol problems.

Also - surely it's the illegality that has meant your friends were in contact with people supplying harder drugs. Additionally they possibly had more permissive personalities in the first place as opposed to being driven to it by the evil weed?

Do you feel the same as people drinking in the street. Is it the illegality that upsets you? If it were legalised would you have the same issue?

RiffyWammal Sat 20-Apr-13 18:14:25

Hard drug users have almost all used alcohol and tobacco before they started using hard drugs, but those are never described as gateway drugs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now