Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think that smoking weed is distasteful?

(105 Posts)

My best friend recently revealed that she smokes a lot of weed, as does her new boyfriend and most of her friends.
My OH also knows a lot of weed-smokers but doesn't himself.
It seems like it is more common than I thought, a little like smoking tobacco.

I have never smoked weed (which means that I'm not allowed to judge in my best friends opinion) and do think less of people who do.

It stinks, kills brain cells and, of course, is illegal.

If you need to relax have a cup of tea, do some yoga or some other legal, less smelly hobby.

AIBU to dislike weed and the casual attitude surrounding this drug?

(be nice! I'm not an evil witch trying to squash fun)

NiceTabard Fri 19-Apr-13 19:18:43

I think it is very common in some social groups and absolutely frowned up in others. The two groups don't generally mix well grin which I why I wondered how you two were best friends! Especially so young - when I was 21 I had TMI to the max about what my friends were up to, as they did me! And because we were friends it was generally the same sort of thing IYSWIM.

marjproops Fri 19-Apr-13 19:18:46

but they often dont smoke it indoors, they go outdside in their gardens or out the front and the smell wafts over garden fences and past windows....i do NOT want to smell it,nor do i want my child smelling it. do it IN your house (same with cigarette smoke)

plus anyione who smokes ANYTHING around their children.....(worse in cars)

and i once had a flatmate who did this and the smell would waft on ME and then looked like I was smoking it. and it made me sick.

Weed isn't necessarily mixed with tobacco. I never like it that way. I do smoke but not heavily, and holding tobacco smoke in my lungs as long as I do with a joint is just....well, I don't like it. If you buy ready rolled spliffs it's usually bulked out with tobacco. But if you roll your own you can make it as you like it. Many people who throw up on their first go do so just because they're not used to nicotine, not because the bud is bad quality or mixed with any weird unknown stuff.

I have a friend who loves the smell but has an insanely high tolerance to the stuff itself. He can smoke triple the amount it takes me to get knocked off my socks and just feel a bit more serene. And he's tried a lot of different stuff.

OnTheNingNangNong Fri 19-Apr-13 19:25:38

you can get ready rolled spliff? shock

yeah, you want one? wink

this is what i mean about the casual attitude to an illegal substance!

Fargo86 Fri 19-Apr-13 19:29:18

I don't mind what people do but people that feel the need to tell everyone that they do it are just boring people.

^ thanks for that Fargo

TheSeventhHorcrux, if it was legalised tomorrow, would people taking it not bother you so much?

Lj8893 Fri 19-Apr-13 19:31:07

Totally agree Fargo, they aren't doing it because they are enjoying it, they are doing it because they think its "cool" which just makes thm extremely uncool in my opinion!

mrsjay Fri 19-Apr-13 19:31:55

weed is supposed to mellow folk out it makes them paranoid defensive and of course it is mind altering I hate it, My friend used to smoke it when she was younger I would be in her house when she was stoned I tried not to judge as i do like her, anyway she hasnt smoked it in years she has a few mental health problems now which I do know long term weed smokers can get, she is your friend you like her as long as she isnt smoking near you then dont stop being her friend

OnTheNingNangNong Fri 19-Apr-13 19:33:07

quirrel, don't tempt me! wink

It's very very common here and i don't really care much but i can't stand the smell, it fucking stinks. if i walk through a cloud of smoke in the street it practially knocks me out and i used to smoke 20 fags a day

DH says he can tell which of his apprentices smoke pot because they have shockingly bad memories and no concentration, so he has to have a word sometimes to tell them to cut down of an evening shock

NiceTabard Fri 19-Apr-13 19:34:55

A lot of people (whether they indulge or not) are not convinced of the sense of the current laws. All that stuff with Prof Nutt and the harm done by different drugs. Some people do have a casual attitude to drugs - different social groups will be casual about different things. It's not new, all of this. Human beings have used drugs ever since they first discovered that if you ate that leaf or sniffed that berry you felt all cheerful, like.

TheSeventhHorcrux, if it was legalised tomorrow, would people taking it not bother you so much?

It would still bother me yes. But its illegal, so kind of a moot point.

erowid Fri 19-Apr-13 19:38:04

Good post NiceTabard

seriouscakeeater Fri 19-Apr-13 19:38:22

Hate it! I was in a queue the other day and a woman with a pram STANK of it! I hate what it does to people.

I also hate smoking im an ex smoker

Yes alcohol is very damaging too. I live in a area where a lot of young people smoke it, it take the life out of most of them, my cousin being one of them.

Ashoething Fri 19-Apr-13 19:38:52

I dabbled with drugs when I was younger but never weed-I HATE smoking with a passion so never tempted me.

My bil is addicted to weed. Been smoking it since he was 16. Has tried to give up loads of times and ended up on ad's and sleeping tablets. I can tell when he is having trouble getting hold of any as he is a horrible moody twathmm Sil accepts it as "its better than him going to the pub every night!hmm

I do judge people who smoke it tbh.

confusteling Fri 19-Apr-13 19:49:30

I personally don't like it.

I don't know many people who haven't had it at least once, including my best friend, a lot of people I went to school with, most people at uni, my ex flatmates, my neighbour, her daughter, my cousin (who started at age 14 or so), another cousin..

I am under psychiatric care and see a psychologist weekly and as such wouldn't be willing to take it at all, I could do without my problems getting worse. I mentioned to my GP that I had a friend who smoked weed and her reaction convinced me that it's not worth it - I imagine these people see the other side, treat people who've had bad reactions etc.

That said I wouldn't judge someone who chooses to use drugs, I just think it's insane and worry for their health. Having had MH issues and having a very good friend with psychosis, I wouldn't do anything to risk it!!

I have taken a tranquiliser when I wasn't prescribed it, to calm myself down when I was suffering panic attack after panic attack one night. It was my sister's prescription, 2mg diazepam, my mum advised me to take it, she had my best interests at heart and that. I had an odd reaction (and have since had the same, and as such can't take mediciations of that class) and ended up very distressed, suicidal, on the phone to NHS 24 and the Samaritans at 4am. I won't take a thing now unless I've been prescribed it or bought it from a pharmacy.

Bowlersarm Fri 19-Apr-13 19:50:32

Soooo you're not asking about what to do about it in relation to your friend? You're having a general chat about it?

confusteling Fri 19-Apr-13 19:53:43

It does smell, I remember the girls smoked it on the school buses and I hated the smell. I used to come home stinking of it.

Corygal Fri 19-Apr-13 19:54:52

I've just finished talking down a friend of mine whose teen neice is on month 5 in a secure unit - staff suspect first episode schizophrenia. No disease in the family, so the doctors are suggesting it was the girl's skunk use.

The girl isn't being let out anytime soon.

Bowlersarm - yes. That's why my question was "AIBU to dislike weed and the casual attitude surrounding this drug?" and the title was "AIBU to think that smoking weed is distasteful?" not "What should I do about my friend who smokes weed".

mrsjay Fri 19-Apr-13 19:55:32

friends dog used to be a police sniffer dog she says it can be a bit embarassing when out walking as dog will stop at random people and just stare at them grin

Branleuse Fri 19-Apr-13 19:56:14

I've found weed has really helped me reduce my antidepressants and also stopped me needing sleeping tablets. gives me far less side effects than any of my prescription medication ever did.
I'm not a big smoker by any stretch but I've just found it so helpful.

mrsjay Fri 19-Apr-13 19:56:43

that is bloody tragic corygirl sad

My friend MH problems were quite severe in the past it has to have something to do with it,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now