Will I be reported for picking up daughter late from school?

(31 Posts)
bengal38 Thu 18-Apr-13 20:07:14

I work 930 to 3pm and it takes me 30 mins to get to my daughters school. My daughter finishes school at 335pm. Today I was stuck in abit of traffic so I couldn't get to her school until 350pm.

I went to pick her up from the office and the receptionist told me that as I was late picking her up from school she left me a message on my phone. I asked her why and she said that school finishes at 340 and it was now 350pm.

Anyway my daughter tonight had a school play and as I was leaving her Teacher said to my daughter oh so you are leaving with your mum now are you xxxx and she smiled at me sarcastically.

I have only been late picking her up from school 3 times and during those 3 times I have phoned in to let the school know I will be late picking her up.

Now I am worried incase they report me to Social Services. Could this happen and if so what will happen? Should I say anything to the Teacher/Receptionist or let it go? Also what should I do if it happens again that I am stuck in traffic and I am late again?

Bobyan Thu 18-Apr-13 21:36:14

All of your posts seem to centre on some perceived slight you have suffered by another person.
Maybe your daughter gets upset when you are late,but I'm guessing that the teacher didn't do anything and you are over reacting.

HollyBerryBush Thu 18-Apr-13 21:40:44

TBH I think you are feeling guilty thus you think the teacher was smiling sarcastically when she was just making a general comment.

I went to pick her up from the office and the receptionist told me that as I was late picking her up from school she left me a message on my phone. I asked her why and she said that school finishes at 340 and it was now 350pm

This is a bit of a no brainer - of course school will ring you if you are late. they aren't your temporary babysitter and aren't open all hours.

you need alternative childcare in place

Floggingmolly Thu 18-Apr-13 21:46:43

They might have reacted completely differently if you'd phoned to let them know you were running late. A combination of no call and not answering when they call you is not good.

jamdonut Thu 18-Apr-13 21:55:08

There's nothing worse than hanging around in the playground waiting for the last child to be picked up, when everyone else went 10 minutes ago.

We finish 3.20pm. Everyday there is at least one child waiting to be picked up.

Recently a child was picked up by their mum at 4pm. No phonecall to the office,and not answering the mobile phone number we had. Their excuse? "Oh, I forgot all about her!" The child was in year 1. hmm

Fudgemallowdelight Thu 18-Apr-13 22:02:29

as I was leaving her Teacher said to my daughter oh so you are leaving with your mum now are you xxxx and she smiled at me sarcastically.

Are you sure she wasn't just making a friendly comment to your daughter and smiling in a friendly way?

They definitely won't report you to SS for that.

frumpet Thu 18-Apr-13 22:12:06

Just wondering , how many times have you made it to school on time , only for your DD to be late coming out ? Or is it just our school that is hopeless ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now