DS 19 left home woopeee

(21 Posts)
stephrick Thu 18-Apr-13 19:44:07

I feel bad to be this happy, I didn't push just cajooled a bit, he has moved in with a work colleague 2 years older, and nearer to his work. I had to drive him there and back twice a day, so clocking up an extra 40 miles a day, I never asked for petrol as he is on min wage, though I did ask for housekeeping £140 a month. I can now afford to give him a little extra a month and will have more to spend on other DS and DD. And to the the greater good he can have a social life as he has moved to a small town instead of rural where I live. Here he had to share a room with 15yo DS, now he has his own. 1 down 2 to go.

MaBumble Thu 18-Apr-13 19:47:03

I know how you feel smile Love em, but if they can leave and stand in their own two feet you've done your job.
Mind you I still have the youngest here ... he's house broken and nice to have around, and I will miss him when he goes. But it's time ... He's 25!

quoteunquote Thu 18-Apr-13 19:47:48

Ha, move quick, grin

It's usually a bit like a yoyo, each time they bounce a little further a way from the hand, and eventually they stay put.

stephrick Thu 18-Apr-13 20:04:32

Thats how I feel, Iv'e bought him up and to keep him here would be no real life, relying on me to take him everywhere, checking when he will be home etc. This time last year when he was at college I started to get worried, he would spent all his spare time on his Xbox, never going out, very few friends, since he started working he made lots of friends and grew up. I dare say he might be back, but he has a 6 month tenancy to try it for size.

pigsDOfly Thu 18-Apr-13 20:42:47

Ooh yes. Never understood the whole 'empty nest syndrome' thing.

I love mine dearly, but once they'd grown I felt it much healthier for them to flee the nest. If the parent/child relationship is successful the relationship will still flourish.

MaBumble Thu 18-Apr-13 20:45:36

I've even bought cats and told him it was in perpetration for the empty nest syndrome. He just laughed, hugged me and stole my cats affections with beef jerky.

Fly little birdie, fly dammit! smile

stephrick Thu 18-Apr-13 20:57:05

I remember when I left home, I went to Australia when I was 20, no tears, I came back a year later and my Dad cried. I like to think he missed me.

furbaby Thu 18-Apr-13 21:40:49

Good luck to him . Sure he will enjoy the big bad world smile
I do think its healthy for them to spread their wings .
My dd left home 6 years ago and has 3 dc of her own , she did make me laugh the other day though as she rang and said "did you want me as I had a missed call fro home ? " when I explained she does, nt live with us anymore the penny dropped and she realised the missed call was from her dp from HER house not from us her parents . We did laugh smile

YouTheCat Thu 18-Apr-13 21:43:12

Yay! grin

My dd is 18 and says she doesn't want to leave home... ever! shock

OkayHazel Thu 18-Apr-13 21:50:35

Wait until he comes home with his washing.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Thu 18-Apr-13 21:53:35

When I left home..the youngest of 4 and last to go....my Mum and Dad were silent. Years later they told me "It was like a death."

hmm How awful! Poor Mum and Dad! They were proud of me in the end though!

NewAtThisMalarky Thu 18-Apr-13 23:24:32

I can't imagine wanting my kids to move out . The eldest is just turning 17 though, not quite ready yet. I'm sure it will come though.

I have friends who are dreading looking forward to their 20-something moving back in shortly. They are certainly happy for their child to be elsewhere!

popcornpaws Thu 18-Apr-13 23:59:05

My dd will be moving out to go to uni when she is 17, part of me wants her to stay here forever but the other part is excited for her to get out there and start a new chapter in her life.
But she is great company, with a superb sense of humour and very tidy so i know i will miss her terribly!

BegoniaBampot Fri 19-Apr-13 00:06:58

seems strange to me. nearly everyone i know (inculding myself) stayed at home into their 20's and beyond. even going to college or uni, everyone did it from the family home.

popcornpaws Fri 19-Apr-13 00:27:21

BegoniaBampot Why strange? If my dd was to travel to uni it would take hours off her day, not to mention relying on buses and trains to get there, i know what my choice would be!

BegoniaBampot Fri 19-Apr-13 00:30:32

strange because it wasn't the norm where i grew up. moved to Southern england and seems it's normal and expected for teens to leave home. is 'strange' not something different from your norm?

popcornpaws Fri 19-Apr-13 00:42:50

No, to me strange is something weird that can't be explained.
I don't expect my dd would even think about leaving home if she wasn't going to uni as 17 is quite young but travelling would be one big hassle. I didn't leave home until i was in my twenties.

NewAtThisMalarky Fri 19-Apr-13 07:11:45

Gosh, it would be nice if it was an option for the kids to stay at home while at uni (not to mention a lot less expensive). A commute from here would be impossible though.

firesidechat Fri 19-Apr-13 08:06:45

Ooh yes. Never understood the whole 'empty nest syndrome' thing.

I love mine dearly, but once they'd grown I felt it much healthier for them to flee the nest. If the parent/child relationship is successful the relationship will still flourish.

^ This!

firesidechat Fri 19-Apr-13 08:09:50

Doesn't going to uni in the local area limit their choices. My youngest decided on the best possible course in her chosen subject, which happened to be 3 1/2 hours away. The loan doesn't even cover her rent.

I remember my Mum doing this, and then her youngest (my little sister) went to uni and she flaked a bit!

I was the only one out of my peers to leave home before my 20's and I went over 400 miles away, think yourself lucky OP wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now