Longer school day, shorter holidays, aibu?

(108 Posts)
Damselion Thu 18-Apr-13 18:30:29

To think Michael Gove should fuck off? I spend less time with my DC than their teacher's do as it is...

MrsHuxtable Thu 18-Apr-13 19:02:01

Family-friendly???? Hahahahahaha

I think he means working parents and business friendly. It's certainly not child-friendly or friendly to families that have time they want to spend together.

LooseyMy Thu 18-Apr-13 19:03:18

Well as a single parent who works full time, it'd save me a load of money in child care fees!

hedgefund Thu 18-Apr-13 19:03:18

yabu for starting another thread on this when one is ticking away nicely

wish people would post on the same thread!

Squarepebbles Thu 18-Apr-13 19:06:52

Well that's ok then Looosy, buggar what is best for children?

LooseyMy Thu 18-Apr-13 19:10:27

For my son square, it wouldn't make much difference as he already spends a lot of time in childcare after school and in the holidays. That's the reality for many children and families. The only Real difference is it would be cheaper.

echt Thu 18-Apr-13 19:10:43

This proposal suits those who see schooling as child care, whether its parents or those who employ them. It has nothing to do with education.

echt Thu 18-Apr-13 19:11:22

It's.

ZZZenagain Thu 18-Apr-13 19:12:11

well if the plan is for both parents in the majority of families to work full-time, obviously it would be easier for them if dc were in school for longer days and had shorter holidays. I don't think it would be good for the dc and I don't think it would improve standards of education. At some point you are too tired to learn effectively. Possibly there is something to be said for having shorter holidays so dc don't forget so much of what they have been taught and then have to spend time relearning it when they go back. However, I do think IME the dc need the holidays they get.

What they do in Asia is perhaps suitable from the point of view of Asian families and accords with their requirements, their work ethos and attitudes to school. It may work fine there but I don't think parents want something akin to Chinese schools in the UK. No doubt they are ahead but I know my dd would suffer from a longer school day and shorter holidays.

BackforGood Thu 18-Apr-13 19:20:30

I completely diagree with that Loosey - as a former teacher myself, my dc have always needed to go to wrap around childcare, but what they do at breakfast club / at the CMs is COMPLETELY different from what they do at school.

Jinty64 Thu 18-Apr-13 19:22:07

Our council are speaking of implementing shorter school days to save money. Parents are against.

SuffolkNWhat Thu 18-Apr-13 19:23:33

Loosey it would cost me more money in childcare so you know, what works for one family doesn't for another.

Whathaveiforgottentoday Thu 18-Apr-13 19:30:38

Well said euphemia and I'd like to add nob to that.

Thymeout Thu 18-Apr-13 19:34:38

Has anyone thought how expensive flights/holidays would be, if everyone were trying to book in a four week slot? Not to mention the problems with parents trying to book holiday time at work?

BoneyBackJefferson Thu 18-Apr-13 19:38:10

If teachers worked 9-5

It won't solve the drop off problem
It won't solve the pick up problem
If your children take the bus/cycle home they will be on the roads during rush hour.
If your children walk/scooter home they will be crossing roads during rush hour.
Who will supervise your children when they get on the bus?

If teachers are to mark work when will they do it?
When will teachers moderate coursework?
When will they meet parents?
What will happen to afterschool clubs?
When you ring the teacher when are they supposed to ring you back?

exoticfruits Thu 18-Apr-13 19:41:22

Children need a childhood!

Startail Thu 18-Apr-13 19:41:47

My DDs are already out the house from 7.35am until 4.30pm due to their useless bus. (It takes 60 minutes to do a 15 minute journey because the council are too mean and too disorganised to come up with sensible bus routes angry)

Therefore, Gove can fuck the fuck off again! He's already been told to fuck of for new Ofsted frame work and farting about with the curriculum. I'm still not certain what exams DD2 will get!

As for shorter summer holidays, it's already insanely expensive to go in the holidays. 4 weeks will leave most families no choice, but to book in term time and refuse to pay the fines.

Hopefully that will clog up the court system big time.

MrsHuxtable Thu 18-Apr-13 19:48:53

Oh, and being Continental European myself, I am of the opinion that British children aren't behind in education because they have holidays that are too long or because their school days are too short. It's because the school system is rubbish!

Other countries have shorter school days, longer holidays, children start school much older and they are still doing better.

BoneyBackJefferson Thu 18-Apr-13 19:50:48

Where is your evidence for that MrsHuxtable

Euphemia Thu 18-Apr-13 19:53:05

There isn't a "British" school system, MrsHuxtable, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Wow, doesn't anyone think it would make it easier for mothers to work if there was less disparity between the school day and the normal working day ?
I'm not working ATM and most work I have done in the past has been school hours and terms.
Am just slightly surprised by the universal response here ?
I think more breakfast and after-school clubs on site would certainly help many parents.
But then, Scandinavia is usually right, and Gove is usually wrong when it comes to education grin - so, as you were

Euphemia Thu 18-Apr-13 20:07:35

Schools exist to educate children, not to facilitate parents going to work.

Blissx Thu 18-Apr-13 20:08:40

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BTW I see there are a few posts in favour of proposals now - mainly due to them facilitating work and child-care.
- I wrote most of my post a little earlier and then suffered a family computer hijack. Just got it back, finished post and posted it, and see thread has moved quickly since.

Salmotrutta Thu 18-Apr-13 20:16:26

Finland discussed in this Guardian article here:

www.guardian.co.uk/teacher-network/teacher-blog/2012/apr/09/finish-school-system

Interestingly, in Finland the learning of second and third languages from an early age has been identified as being one of the ways to increase attainment. In addition, it's rare for Finnish TV to provide subtitles on foreign programmes which aids learning of languages.
Research has shown that learning languages early on promotes thinking skills.

Salmotrutta Thu 18-Apr-13 20:17:31

Should have said, Finland consistently ranks very high on PISA tables.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now