Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

£8.90 to post. Box of liquorice allsorts?!

(22 Posts)
JoA3 Thu 18-Apr-13 15:10:12

Yes, that is what it cost. There was a birthday card in there too but still... Who knew! angry

You needs to go for Marshmallows next time wink

squeakytoy Thu 18-Apr-13 15:11:39

depends where you were posting it to and what method of postage you used.. and how big a box it was...

YoniMaroney Thu 18-Apr-13 15:11:42

you can check prices online.

cheaper couriers are available.

Letitsnow9 Thu 18-Apr-13 15:18:04

Check my hermies and click and collect, they are much cheaper than Royal Mail. I've wish a company would set up av postal system which wasn't so stupid, the more they charge the less people send things and so they up the price again

Fargo86 Thu 18-Apr-13 15:19:36

I wouldn't bother sending sweets through the post.

somewhereaclockisticking Thu 18-Apr-13 15:35:39

The prices went up the other week but I'm still surprised it cost that much - a normal size box of allsorts?? It should have still been £2.60 first class I think. I suspect there is confusion with the post office staff.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Thu 18-Apr-13 15:36:15

How very 1930's of you! Liqorice Allsorts through the post!

DiscoDonkey Thu 18-Apr-13 15:36:51

Myhermes or collect plus for anything over than a light parcel these days

CaffeDoppio Thu 18-Apr-13 15:40:30

As mentioned up there ^ ^ ^ try MyHermes. I used them a lot last week following a recommendation on here and they are marvellous. A bit slower than RM but very thorough and £3.30 for any size parcel under 1KG. They collect from your house or you can use drop off which is slightly cheaper. Royal Mail are dead in the water with these new prices.

CaffeDoppio Thu 18-Apr-13 15:41:41

YY DiscoDonkey but it's the size of the parcel that matters now as well. The day it all changed I had to pay over £6 for a boxed cd set that would have been £2.70 the day before. Outrageous!

Cherriesarelovely Thu 18-Apr-13 15:43:26

I'm glad you posted this (pardon the pun!) OP. I sent a small parcel of sweets to London the other day and that was £6.00. I was really shocked. I think that must be wrong. It wasn't that big or heavy.

CaffeDoppio Thu 18-Apr-13 15:45:01

Cherries the cut off point for size is absurd! It's just slightly smaller than a cd box set size.

forevergreek Thu 18-Apr-13 15:50:12

Sounds v expensive, I know the post has gone up but I posted a huge box yesterday containing some books/ toys/ clothes/ pair of shoes. Basically a large hamper size box of second hand childrens things to a friend. Was £10.80. Seems ridiculous to be £8 odd for a box of sweets in comparison

WannabeWallaby Thu 18-Apr-13 15:52:48

Only send something via Hermes if you don't mind the recipient not getting the parcel, they're a shower of useless shits.

DiscoDonkey Thu 18-Apr-13 16:03:53

Yes I know, I also use my Hermes for anything that is over2.5 cm's deep

IneedAsockamnesty Thu 18-Apr-13 16:04:40

Who leave parcels in people's full up wheelie bins

DiscoDonkey Thu 18-Apr-13 16:07:22

I always state "no safe place" when I book with them so will be mightily pissed off if they leave it anywhere other than the recipients hand!

DiscoDonkey Thu 18-Apr-13 16:08:19

Better than yodel who left an iMac computer out in the rain.

Ezza1 Thu 18-Apr-13 16:09:50

Crikey. You would have been better off chucking a tenner in the card with a note saying "buy yourself some liquorice allsorts"

Sokmonsta Thu 18-Apr-13 16:17:51

Would have been cheaper to send an online delivery to that person instead. Granted it wouldn't be wrapped and the card wouldn't be written. But still cheaper ponders this as a useful way to get relatives presents to them

LayMizzRarb Thu 18-Apr-13 16:30:17

I think they are trying you discourage non-commercial business. Anyone with a quantity of mail to send out ( from around a sack of mail upwards) can negotiate rates that are lower than last years. I only send out half a dozen packages a day so will have to stump up. It also means I would think twice about ordering from QVC and other mail order companies. If I have to pay a fortune to return stuff if it is unsuitable then it is not worth ordering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now