To ask my neighbours to keep it down a bit?

(34 Posts)
ShatterResistant Thu 18-Apr-13 13:46:05

This is my first time posting, so please make allowances!
I have a 9 week old baby girl. She's my first. I also have really nice neighbours with 3 school-age children. They've just acquired a trampoline. The baby goes to bed at 6.30, and her bedroom looks out onto our and the neighbours' garden. They're really nice kids, and I get that trampolining is a noisy business. But they're REALLY noisy - one minute squealing with pleasure, and the next minute someone's had a tantrum and is yelling into the house for a parent to come and adjudicate. Now that the weather is nicer, this is all happening JUST as the baby is going to sleep. WIBU to lean over the fence and ask if they could be a BIT quieter? I wouldn't be asking for silence, just slightly less yelling at the tops of voices. I have a feeling IWBU, which is why I didn't say anything last night, but I just wanted to run it past you wise people.

ShatterResistant Thu 18-Apr-13 15:18:47

maddening I don't need to buy a football - I can just use theirs, instead of throwing it back over the fence like I normally do!

BabyMakesTheYoniGoStretchy Thu 18-Apr-13 15:39:58

YABU,its 6:30pm,not ten at night.

Do you watch TV,cook,hoover,use a washing machine when she's asleep?

quoteunquote Thu 18-Apr-13 16:09:52

OP, you do know you don't have any neighbours, what you have is a time space anomaly, what you can see is you in the future.

ShatterResistant Thu 18-Apr-13 16:35:09

Yes, Baby, we do all that...

MarjoryStewartBaxter Thu 18-Apr-13 16:41:55

I can sympathise, but YABU if you ask them to be quiet (and as previous posters have said it's unlikely children of that age could remain quiet for very long while playing).

If the noise is disturbing your LO and either waking her or preventing her falling asleep you could get a white noise track and play it while they're out there? I've been using a white noise app to get baby Stewart-Baxter to nap while our neighbour has been mowing his lawn every other day with a law mower that sounds like an apache helicopter...

BabyMakesTheYoniGoStretchy Thu 18-Apr-13 17:05:24

See,she's grand,she'll sleep through the shrieking.

You could ask for a go of the trampoline to see if your pelvic floor exercises worked wink

ShatterResistant Thu 18-Apr-13 17:11:20

Marjorie that's great advice, I will try it. And Baby, I LOVE trampolines. So it's in my interests to keep in good with the neighbours!

Fenton Thu 18-Apr-13 17:20:11

That is a good idea, actually we did that! - I can't believe I had forgotten.
It was a baby nursery rhyme/lulaby CD and we had it in a CD player on the landing on repeat - just used to turn it down at about 9pm, then off when we went to bed.

BaconAndAvocado Thu 18-Apr-13 21:02:07

YANBU (finally!)

6:30 should be a time when LOs are winding down IMO.

Yes, my DCs make a hell of a racket on the trampoline but not at that time of day, it's inconsiderate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now