Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To expect people to be able to spell simple words correctly

(103 Posts)
Orangerevel Wed 17-Apr-13 20:16:59

So many times on FB, at work etc I see the words definitely (wrongly spelt definately) and separately (wrongly spelt seperately). It makes me very cross. Does bad spelling make you see red or AIBU?

DribbleWiper Wed 17-Apr-13 20:26:02

YANBU

Those two words in particular aren't difficult if one actually thinks about their construction. What really bugs me is when someone else has commented using the correct spelling and the person then ignores it and uses the wrong one again! Another one is practise/practice, but I appreciate most people don't know the difference between the two.

ilikeyoursleeves Wed 17-Apr-13 20:32:58

My bug bear is people mixing up there, their and they're. Although that's not spelling, just annoying!

CoffeeChocolateWine Wed 17-Apr-13 20:33:30

Oh, it so makes me see red! Bad spelling annoys the hell out of me. My most hated are people not knowing the difference between there, their and they're, misuse of apostrophes and don't get me started on affect and effect. Grrr...

I'm a sub-editor and one journo whose stories I used to sub didn't know the difference between a lot and allot. I would bang my head on the table every time I came across it!

FreyaFridays Wed 17-Apr-13 20:33:31

I don't care about incorrect spellings (except at work- English teacher), as you never know what issues may be behind typing on Internet forums; dyslexia, for instance.

The only thing which truly makes my blood boil is the "should of could of would of" brigade, because, really, more adults should know better. That's not a thing!

FreyaFridays Wed 17-Apr-13 20:35:40

Ah yes, in professional capacities, where people really SHOULD be able to write correctly, the Daily Fail online is a frickin' goldmine of shite! Where the hell were their reporters educated?!

Orangerevel Wed 17-Apr-13 20:40:37

I cringe when I see the spelling in some of the letters that get sent out at work (NHS). Is it ok to correct colleagues? I am in an admin role.

ilikeyoursleeves Wed 17-Apr-13 20:41:11

Or people who say exacerbated instead of exasperated...

ilikeyoursleeves Wed 17-Apr-13 20:44:08

It's the staff at nursery / school who annoy me 'the children made there handprints today'.

And yes I think colleagues should be corrected in their misspellings, I correct reports at work (nhs) if needed!

CoffeeChocolateWine Wed 17-Apr-13 20:47:32

Orangerevel you have just reminded me of the time my pregnant friend received a letter from the hospital inviting her to an "anti natal" appointment! We laughed a lot, but seriously...! Quite an unfortunate spelling mistake!

Orangerevel Wed 17-Apr-13 20:49:44

I correct the letters if I can but I don't actually tell the culprit. My manager can't spell either so no use telling him. Unfortunately spellcheck can't help if you can't even get the basics right.

Orangerevel Wed 17-Apr-13 20:57:11

Just remembered something I heard on the radio on Sunday morning. I think it was Stephen Mulherne (wrong spelling probably!) and he was asking listeners to "phone in and tell us what is the worst thing you have ever ate" he repeated this phrase about six times during a space of about 10 minutes. I had to change radio stations I was getting very cross. DH couldn't understand why it annoyed me so much.

StuntGirl Wed 17-Apr-13 20:59:01

In a professional capacity I would correct them, but if someone wants to spell like an idiot on Facebook, let them. You can either put up with it or delete/hide them.

dyslexicdespot Wed 17-Apr-13 20:59:07

I am terrible at spelling and fear being judged by people because of it.

It is not practical for me to tell everyone I communicate with that I am severely dyslexic, and to ask them to take that into consideration before they jump to conclusions about my intelligence or educational background.

Wishiwasanheiress Wed 17-Apr-13 21:00:26

Ur havin a laff rn't u?

Lol

Oh sorry just couldn't resist.... smile

purrpurr Wed 17-Apr-13 21:05:32

Definately and panicing annoy me so much. Panicing especially. Whenever old friends of mine spelled it like that, I'd say 'ahh, ze ole' paneeshing!' because that's how it'd be pronounced, in my head at least, without the k.

marjproops Wed 17-Apr-13 21:08:32

on here i get letters tped wrong
1-im a bit dyslexic
2-i have stubby fingers and press 2 keys at once sometimes
3-i type fast and sometimes forget to, proofread.

and this is froma pc, i understand from phoone things (technophobic!) with theausruses and spellchecks and correstors the wrong word or spelling coming up.

as for text speak, i only get so many letters per txt so i hav 2 shrtn wrds as mch as poss!!

Euphemia France Wed 17-Apr-13 21:17:22

Have you visited Pedants' corner, OP?

NewStartInSpring Wed 17-Apr-13 21:24:11

This thread is discusting

wink

Orangerevel Wed 17-Apr-13 21:27:55

Thank you Euphemia, didn't know this existed.
Will enjoy reading.

picnicbasketcase Wed 17-Apr-13 21:29:36

I saw a blackboard sign at a market that said 'We by antique coin's'. I almost bought chalk and made corrections.

pointythings Netherlands Wed 17-Apr-13 21:32:59

I don't mind dodgy spelling on forums like this because of all the reasons mentioned above - predictive text, dyslexia, bad typing. But the would of/would have thing definitely makes me see red.

I'm one of those sad people who takes ages to compose a text because I insist on correct spelling, grammar and punctuation. I joined Twitter today (to follow DD's school trip to Germany) - I'm going to have fun managing in 140 characters, aren't I?

Orangerevel Wed 17-Apr-13 21:33:15

That's given me a very good idea picnicbasketcase. What fun!

Tallyra Wed 17-Apr-13 21:36:15

I work in a grammar school as the one who prints stuff for the teachers. You would be amazed at the number of documents I correct before printing. It does frustrate me sometimes. I usually correct without saying anything but I checked with a teacher the other week and they replied by saying 'the boys put this one together so best leave it'. Surely the teacher should have corrected it or at least pointed out the mistakes before it is turned into a future teaching aid???

Orangerevel Wed 17-Apr-13 21:55:53

That's dreadful Tallyra. I would just correct next time and not ask.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now