flat snobs and bedroom tax!

(210 Posts)
limetictacs Wed 17-Apr-13 19:13:02

I thought that with the housing benefit cap people would actually want to do a mutual exchange but I've been shocked at the amount of people who immediately go "no flats"- (we live in a 2 bed and are after a 3 bed house). One person even said that they needed a house as they had a dog (er- we have a young child and a baby on the way. Besides there are many other people who have dogs in the block!).

AIBU being pissed off that so many people are so snobbish about living in a flat? I'd like to add that these same people want to complain about having to pay for an extra room- some have actually complained to me and expect me to sympathise. It also pisses me off when people say they would move but there are no 2 bed properties available when there are way more people with 2 beds in my area than 3 beds. Aaaargh!

5318008 Wed 17-Apr-13 19:18:04

I am a flat snob blush

TidyDancer Wed 17-Apr-13 19:19:05

I don't agree it's snobby. It's just personal preference. And a preference you are showing yourself actually. Would you accept a 3 bed flat/maisonette?

I think it's a fair point about having a dog as well tbh, it's much easier having a garden when you have a dog.

Why do you want a house instead of a flat? Their reasons may be similar to yours.

Ask about 3 bedroomed flats then, more people would be willing to swap from a flat to a flat than from a house to a flat.

Its nothing to do with being a snob, its just personal preference.

expatinscotland Wed 17-Apr-13 19:23:58

You are, too. You want a house, not a three-bed flat?

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Wed 17-Apr-13 19:24:50

Yabu. I would not consider living in a flat with children or indeed ever, tbh. Nt even a posh penthouse apartment. Give me a house any day of the week.

BasketzatDawn Wed 17-Apr-13 19:24:57

I've lived in flats and a house. i've lived in flats with small children <no dog though>. Being in a house, as now, would have been much easier, esp when they needed 'exercising' and i was knackered/cooking/ whatever - you know, open back door, chuck child out in garden/patch of grass scenario. I imagine similar for dog owners. No snobbery involved. Convenience and preference though.

expatinscotland Wed 17-Apr-13 19:25:30

Plenty of people subject to this reduction in housing benefit have children because it does not apply to those who are age 61+.

Plenty who are affected are disabled or have disabled children.

This may be why they prefer houses to flats.

Bt hey ho, why is your right to a house any greater than theirs?

awkwardsis Wed 17-Apr-13 19:31:40

I've spent the last 10 years in a fkat, almost 9 of them with dc. We just moved to a house with a garden and tbh I wonder how I coped before. The weather's only just got nice enough for us to actually enjoy it but it's made my life 100% easier. Before I used the tumble dryer which was expensive, or dried on airers which led ot a damp problem and breathing problems for the dc. Now I have a line. And before I was having to walk to the park every. single. day. It gets wearing. To see my dc playing happily outside in their own garden makes me wish we'd moved yars ago. I know I'd be very unwilling to move backsomewhere with no garden, or onto a first floor. Buggies & flights of stairs are no fun. I suppose it comes down to beggars can't be choosers- as long as I had a choice, I'd go for a house every time.

ComposHat Wed 17-Apr-13 19:31:56

Plenty of people live in flats all their lives in Scotland. I have lived in one for years and would find it very strange to go 'upstairs' to the bed or toilet.

There's extremely grand five bedroomed flats up here.

mateinthree Wed 17-Apr-13 19:32:33

Yes it is snobby, I lived in privately rented flats for years and while flats have their downsides (as well as upsides), anyone whose home is paid for by the taxpayer and considers flats in general as not good enough for them, is a twat.

I would choose to live in a house over a flat, we need to have a garden with our zoo pets, and I prefer to not be living in a human filing cabinet.
I don't really think its snobbery, just preference. Of course, if someone has a house preference but can only find flats than they are being ridiculous to not take a flat if YSWIM.

expatinscotland Wed 17-Apr-13 19:35:01

'anyone whose home is paid for by the taxpayer and considers flats in general as not good enough for them, is a twat.'

The OP wants a house. So, by your definition, is a twat, too.

hmm

anyone whose home is paid for by the taxpayer and considers flats in general as not good enough for them, is a twat.

^ ^ this!

After seeing the many, many bad neighbour posts over the years on here if I had any sort of choice I wouldn't live in a flat or indeed any house attached to another.

Most people don't have that choice. I bought this really awful house I live in now (detached) solely because I wanted a kid and a dog and I was sick of neighbours noise.

I've now had enough of living in this horrible house so I'm going to move to an end terrace or a semi and just really hope I get ok neighbours on the side I'm attached to.

TheRealFellatio Wed 17-Apr-13 19:41:00

What is your justification for wanting a three bed house then? You have two bedrooms now which is quite adequate for two very small children.

WorraLiberty Wed 17-Apr-13 19:41:49

So if anyone who doesn't want to swap a house for a flat is snobby, surely that means you're snobby for wanting to swap your flat for a house? confused

Either way, none of you want to live in your flat.

CecilyP Wed 17-Apr-13 19:46:52

I don't think it is anything to do with being a snob. Most people would prefer a house to a flat. Except perhaps if they loathe gardens and gardening. OP, honestly, what you are offering is not equivalent to what you are asking for. The only way what you are offering would be attractive is if your flat is in a nicer or more central area than where someone is moving from. Most people will not be affected by the bedroom tax, and those who are would hope to move to somewhere smaller but similar.

You never know, you could be lucky but more people want what you want than the other way round.

TheRealFellatio I guess it depends on the size of the bedrooms and the age of the children. I have two under 4 in a 2 bed flat and we manage ok. I'd love to have a garden for them to play in though.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 17-Apr-13 19:49:42

Ahem
Evening all

MunchMunch Wed 17-Apr-13 19:50:36

I wouldn't want to live a flat either, mainly because of noise (my family or theirs). You see lots of threads on here about noise from up/downstairs neighbours having the audacity to walk from one room to the other, using appliances, kids crying during the night etc.

Not for me thanks.

WishIdbeenatigermum Wed 17-Apr-13 19:52:09

I can't get my head around the implications for the bedroom tax but, yes!!!

It's disastrous for the housing stock and unsustainable for everyone to have a 3 bedroom semi with a garden- and I speak as someone who lives in one. But only after living in flats for years as a singleton, couple, with babies, toddlers, pre schoolers and Primary School dcs. Those 15 years I lived in flats freed up this house for a larger family, but sheesh did we get some snobbery from others.

Omg i was going to post about this i liv in a one bed flat and need a 2 bed flat the amount of people that say they need to down size because of the bedroom tax but dont want to live on an estate no flats they need a garden only want converted house no tower block. Most council houses/flats are on estates, i live on a estate with lovely families with children.

Its soo hard i just want somewhere with two bedrooms.

WishIdbeenatigermum Wed 17-Apr-13 19:54:00

But OP, you are part of the problem! confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now