To spend my morning watching the funeral of Maggie Thatcher (on BBC) ?

(894 Posts)

She was our first woman prime-minister - a significant personal achievement, especially for the daughter of a grocer from Grantham, born in 1925 shock

Also I agree with those that say these ceremonial occasions are something we do really well in Britain.

So AIBU to be watching this morning - in spite of disagreeing with many of her policies ? Will you be watching ?
And what do you make of both her personal achievement and her legacy ?

JakeBullet Wed 17-Apr-13 09:51:50

I hope there's no trouble...if only for the sake of her family.sad

twofingerstoGideon Wed 17-Apr-13 09:52:02

Definitely won't be watching and don't agree with the ceremonial funeral. In fact, I had to turn off radio on the way to work because I can't bear to listen to all the sycophancy. Unfortunately, I remember her prime ministership all too well.

JakeBullet Wed 17-Apr-13 09:55:29

I would much have preferred it to have been a private funeral but as it isn't I am going to enjoy the pomp and ceremony. I think we do pomp and ceremony so well.

To me it's her personal achievement in becoming prime-minister that is uppermost when I concur that she "achieved massive amounts"
I think we still experience such a fight for equality today, how much more so for a woman born in 1925 ?
Was glad to see the woman junior minister in Thatcher's cabinet being interviewed just now (sorry didn't catch the name) And the morning's proceedings being described by several women presenters.
I think history will take more notice of her personal achievement as a woman than was recognised at the time.

Morloth Wed 17-Apr-13 09:56:58

Surely the money was spent within the UK mostly?

People do the jobs that cost the money. People with mortgages to pay and kids to feed.

miemohrs Wed 17-Apr-13 10:00:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bowlersarm Wed 17-Apr-13 10:00:09

Agree Jake. I'm finding it mesmerising viewing. Shame they all have to wear black-dress/hat watching is not so interesting smile

Andcake Wed 17-Apr-13 10:00:48

Didn't like her - but watching as I'm home on maternity leave and better than my usual morning tv staples. We do pomp and ceremony v well but not sure she deserves it! Also love dimbledore and seeing the guests arrive!
It is a great achievement to have been the first female British pm but by being a completely uncaring bitch so does that make her a good role model?
I think she was an 80's career women trying to beat men at their own game rather than in my working world emphasising and utilising female strengths to do a job well and often better.

sparklekitty Wed 17-Apr-13 10:01:22

Bowlersarm - they have been told it could get nasty later. Equally it could be totally peaceful and go off fine. They always prepare for the worse. I never usually worry about his work but big days like this do make me nervous.

Bowlersarm Wed 17-Apr-13 10:05:11

sparkle hope he's ok. So far, so good, but will be a long long day for him I guess

what a waste of 10million
id rather that went towards the poor and needytheres more police than public

and what katherine jenkins doing there????

<boggle>

NotTreadingGrapes Wed 17-Apr-13 10:07:17

Is that Katharine opening-of-an-envelope Jenkins with her knockers hanging out? And the fascinator? is it ? is it?

Enjoying the hats even if they are all black Bowler - Katherine Jenkins just arrived looking gorgeous !

miemohrs Wed 17-Apr-13 10:07:29

miemohrs Wed 17-Apr-13 10:08:39

gabsid Wed 17-Apr-13 10:08:51

OK, she was an important person and Prime Minister who deserves respectful and appropriate funeral, but

£10,000,000 of the taxpayer's money in times when everything is being cut and living expenses are going up all the time, many are struggling?

The country seems divided about her and even many who thought fairly positively about her don't agree to such a funeral.

I I will not support it by watching it - would bore me anyway.

Portofino Wed 17-Apr-13 10:09:47

miemohrs. I was just thinking the same. I was surprised some of them were actually still alive.

shellbu Wed 17-Apr-13 10:11:56

yanbu but i wont be watching .

Dawndonna Wed 17-Apr-13 10:12:34

Janet Young. The only female ever in Thatcher's cabinet. hmm

bizzey Wed 17-Apr-13 10:13:08

I am watching it ...I am trying to the Ironing as well....but I keep getting distracted !!

Think I will switch off the iron and put kettle on and open the biscuit tin !!

I think Katherine Jenkins forgot to put a top on under her jacket confused

All this moving the coffin around from one place to another seems a little crazy to me - something I don't altogether "get" about funerals. When I die I'll be quite happy if people hold some sort of thanksgiving service with some of my favourite readings and hymns. I'm not so worried what happens to my body - organ donation seems the most positive idea if I've anything of any use to anyone by then !

YoniMaroney Wed 17-Apr-13 10:13:59

Katherine Jenkins looked v. inappropriate. Why couldn't she cover her tits properly. Does she not own a mirror?

miemohrs Wed 17-Apr-13 10:14:24

JakeBullet Wed 17-Apr-13 10:14:24

Interestingly she didn't want this as far as I know. She didn't want a State funeral and this is all but.....despite DC saying that he thinks it's what she wanted.

YoniMaroney Wed 17-Apr-13 10:16:23

Why have we got Cameron blathering instead of the service?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now